1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columns Pass the responsibility, please

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 May 2007.

1. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

And when something does come down the line where blame could fall to the parents - since long gone is the content that was anything - fun - maybe they'll blame it on the 1% milk this time, clogging the arteries, and keeping all of the "good blood" out of their hearts and heads.

2. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

Eeep Scary thoughts there. Thing is I'm 23 now and will probably live to see that kinda stuff. Reminded me of the film "The Island" Well the living quarters of the clones at least. Also worth mentioning some other things.
    • Dettol Act Government requirement to disinfect your entire home, failure to keep your home sterilized results in fine/jail. (They'll still wonder why people are getting sick though.)
    • No meat products since bird-flu BSE etc
    • If you do get sick you have to phone your lawyer to get a doctors appointment. Then wait a week for the pre-appointment conditional liability waivers to be signed.
    • No internet access beyond preapproved countries (US, Europe etc) without adult fingerprint and activity monitoring (In case you find some banned material or DRM free stuff)
    • State mandatory orthopedic chairs/beds to combat back injuries
    • All TVs Hifi's etc have no volume control all media is normalised and played at an approved listening volume.
    • Getting silly now: The bubble wrap act of 2020 requiring all citizens to wear protective clothing at all times
    I'll stop now before these thoughts of future eutopia overwhelm me and i'm forced to try and kill myself in the oven (which is electric)

PS for the americans your 1st ammendmant will have to be ammended for your own protection.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I thought they'd turn the blood blue...

Anyways, I loved the column - probably one of the best ones I've read here in a while. Interesting and thought-provoking, with some nice little plays-on-words (way to go with abusing the COPA acronym).

Maybe I'm too cynical about my outlook for where society's headed, but I can really see this happening. Which is certainly depressing enough - thanks for starting off my extended summer break on a high note.

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Like that would work, everytime they raise the age limit or banned something the usage goes up, damm us rebellious teens.

damm now ill have to buy my meat underground

5. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

Wonderfully written piece, very scary, but not as scary as the radical direction some part of the US are going in.

6. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

great writing! i actually read the whole thing!

if this really, happened, i will start a rebel group, F.F.G or Freedom For Gamers.
    Also, i guess it would be like another prohibition, tons of black market :gasp: videogames!

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

As soon as I find out where my spawn point is, I'll run there, buy an AWP and join you.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I was thinking, 'The kids are haxing next door's wireless and watching Adult TV'. :)

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

More appropriate whould F.F.S (Freedom For web Surfers)

10. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

reminded me of the cult classic "they live", were all citizens are a mind-controlled horde who don't see the ugly aliens ruling earth. and all media and posters/magazines are full of words like "OBEY", "CONSUME", and "SLEEP". it could be happeing right now^^

11. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Yipes... the sad thing is that the possibility for this is there, and very real. I think the only real thing that has stopped this from happening is the cost of it. Applying a system like this would be very costly and would take a long time, but I wouldn't doubt seeing the government trying to pass some 30 year plan implementing this. Everyone getting GPS chips, ID tags, etc. at birth... scary. :sigh:

12. Tulatin

The government does not support this dissent. Please retract it and pay the $442.50 to create, authorize, and activate your content creation liscence.

13. gauntlet

gauntlet What's a Dremel?

this is interesting but also frustrating as its happening more and more. like on tv for instance, parts of scrubs and that 70's show being cut out because of words that would have been aired months ago

14. Tulatin

wait what? What did they cut out of those shows *grr*

15. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Good read, and whole milk makes you a real man. :thumb:

16. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

You, sir, are a great writer !!

Seriously, Jack Thomp*** for president ? Scary !
    We'd only be able to play educational games !

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You are. Some of these measures are already implemented, and the rest is no doubt under way.

The future is amongst us, people...

18. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

Good article, Nexxo stop scaring me!

19. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I dont want to pay to encourage de-evolution. Which is basically what is happening in a lot of society today.

20. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

This is still my biggest fear. It really seems like that's what all these "special interest groups" that are put together by the preppy "my family is perfect" people and "soccer mom" types are looking to create. Even though they'll never admit to their own families faults, they have no problem trying to restrict all that "evil" in the world from everyone else, because that's how they raise their family.

Tags: Add Tags