1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passing out

Discussion in 'General' started by hacker 8991, 7 Jul 2004.

1. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 New Member

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but if you have been sitting down for a while doing something not-so-interesting, such as reading, don't stand up too fast! I usually do, and it results in my vision blacking out around the edges of my sight, but it goes away after a few seconds. However, yesterday, I did the same thing, sat down, read a book, stood up fast and started to walk across the room, and I passed. Just *thunk* onto the floor.

It was a strange sensation, because your body gets all tingly, almost like your leg fell asleep, and then you just can't see anything. It felt almost surreal, since you can't really feel your body as your fall down.

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with the Bit-Tech community,and ask if anyone else here has pased out.

- tf

Note: The sensation is really hard to put into words. I thought it was hilarious when it happened to me, and I couldn't stop laughing when I came to. It was quite strange.

2. Confusitron

Confusitron New Member

I had something similar occur quite often either last summer or the summer before. Since basically all I did was watch TV, I was sitting a lot. Whenever I would get up and begin to walk, my vision would blackout and something else would happen in my mind. I would fall over. But, a few seconds later I was fine and I would stand up. This was caused by a lack of blood circulation, I believe.

3. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Could be the same effect as breathing deeply kneeling down and then standing up and holding your breath... that usually works.

4. fg0d

fg0d Banned

There is a knock-out move similar to this. "The California Knock Out". It has alot to do with breathing patterns. If you breath very slowly and heavily, and then hold your breath, you will knock yourself out.

5. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

I had an incident like that once. I had stayed at a friend's house, and in the morning, I had gotten a bowl of rice from his kitchen, and was walking back to his couch. Suddenly, everything got kinda tingly, and the next thing I knew, I was looking up from the floor at him sitting on the couch laughing his arse off. Turns out when I went down, the bowl of rice landed just right that my knee hit it and sent a spray of rice all over his living room. This was about 4 years ago, and I still haven't lived it down.

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

you know if you use these techniques before going to bed, will you stay asleep the whole time ? or will you wake up pretty soon ?

7. fg0d

fg0d Banned

you will have a seizure eventually. its not good to even try this, it takes a bad toll on your body.

8. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

think that blacking round eyes is blood pressure it happens to me if stand 2 quick

9. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

It's just postural hypotension and is fairly common.

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

me + some friends used to knock each other out on a regular basis for a laugh. It was really funny + extremely stupid but boys will be boys.

the technique involved lots of deep breathing + putting your head between your knees then straightening up. Then stand against a wall + hold your breath while a mate presses really really hard on a part of your chest.

i feel ok.... i feel ok... its not working,.. i feel ok.. then BAM. wake up on the floor shaking, wondering where you are + whats going on.

This was really stupid so dont try it.

11. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

how much excercise do you get (if any)?

12. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 New Member

I don't 'work out' on a regular basis, but I do swim, march, and run (every now and then). The cause of postural hypotension is simply that your blood isn't being pumped, similar to pulling too many Gs.

- tf

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Yeah, I used to get this all the time. But the strange thing was it wouldn't just happen while I was going to stand up, or erect myself (no pun intended :p). And it got quite bad to where I couldn't do much of anything without it happening. But then I got into a physical fitness program that I taylored for myself, droped 100lbs, and gained a lot of muscle mass (mostly in my legs). And since then, I haven't had a problem with it. I routinely leap up out of bed, or after sitting for a few hours without even getting a little bit light headed. Exercise = good :thumb:

14. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 New Member

That is an odd typo, as that is my name...

Anyway, I am not very out of shape, and this doesn't happen every time I stand up. Just for reference, I am 6' 0" and 140 lbs (30cm and 10 stone / 63 kg). lets not let this turn into a workout debate, now.

- tf

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Didn't mean to turn it into a debate :p Nor was I implying anything. All's I'm saying is that if your heart is in good shape, then you won't get it. And btw, you can be a tooth-pick and still have an un-healthy heart ;) And just for refferance, I'm 6' 2" and 170lbs, but I'm very fit and do have a lot of muscle mass in my legs and chest. But I got to this point by going for daily bike rides in excess of 4+ hours a day, and then working a job where I'm walking and doing heavy lifting for 8+ hours a day. And yes, 170 is after I lost 100lbs (so I weighed nearly 300lbs, wow was I a fat ass). Oh, and btw, passing out is cool :thumb: Wait untill you start having fake heart-attacks that the doctors can't explain ;)

16. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

this happens to me all the time, the best/worst i can remember is i was sat watching TV for like 2 hours, jumped up ran half way upstairs and collapsed and fell back down and was laid out for 5 mins,,. :D

17. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Apparently giraffe's have an unbelieveable cardio-vascular system to deal with this kind of thing- their neck is so long that when they go from having it at ground level to the highest point there's something like a 15-20 foot difference- so their veins etc are "1337" enough so that they don't pass out!

Well, thats all I know about Giraffes...

Sam

18. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

It's more than I know before reading this. I know brachiosaurus' had up to 8 hearts to keep the blood going. Imagine a divorce?

"You're breaking 3 of my hearts."
    "Only 3? You two timing *******."

19. fg0d

fg0d Banned

:D :D :D Thats a good one. :) back on topic.: Knocking yourself out will cause your system to get used to it, you will have regular seizures, its quite a laught, but its not good in the long run.

20. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

humans technically (that word used very loosey) have 3 hearts, well 3 pumps, under your knee caps there are muscles surrounding your veins, and each time you move your legs etc, they squeeze and dilate etc to move the blood up as in veins its very slow moving etc, and long distance away from heart, thats why you sometimes faint if youv'e been sitting down for ages, as the blood in your legs hasnt moved, so when you move suddenly a load of de-oxygenated blood rushes around your body, which pisses off your brain and shuts you down for a bit :)
    (like my terminology :p

- M@