1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passively cooling a Core 2 Duo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by idnzor, 7 Dec 2006.

1. idnzor

idnzor What's a Dremel?

Hi

I am looking at way to passively cool a duo, however the heatsink has to be fairly low profile as it has to it inside a media pc, so something like the Scythe Ninja Plus won't really work. I was looking at the Thermaltake Cl-P0172 Skt-775, would this be suitable to use without a fan inside a htpc case with little airflow? I wasn't planning on over clocking at all,

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Hmmmm the stock cooler is quite low profile, that might work. I don't think you could passively cool it (even the E6300) unless you ran it below stock. I maybe wrong but that is my opinion.

3. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

As someone said in your other thread, look at the Zalman coolers.
    Even with a fan they should be able to run really low rpm and nearly silently.
    silence in this case is defined as <20db @ 1m

There are also a good selection of silent 120mm fans out there for case airflow.

4. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: Play around with the voltage, see what clockspeeds are stable at each voltage setting. Voltage is generally a much bigger culprit than clockspeed when it comes to heat output. If you can't run passively consider a low-speed fan or fan controller. A fan will keep things MUCH cooler and needn't be audible.

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

You'd proably easily get away with a voltage drop on an 6300, somewhere around 1.15-1.2 might well be possible if your board can drop that low. The stock intel sink is actually pretty quiet too, with an undervolted stock chip you'd probably get away with 5v or so. Guessing thats not low profile enough for you?
    How about something like a Merom or Yonah CPU? If its for a media PC, run them at ~ 1ghz on 0.9v (as per speedstep) and you should pretty much get away with passive cooling :)