1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sentinel-R1, 1 Oct 2018.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

Anyone else pulled the trigger on this? It's kind of a CRPG with a bit of city building, management and politics thrown in.

Looks really interesting but the steam reviews are a bit 50:50 at the moment and it's too big of a game to try it for less than 2 hours before getting a refund.

Any mini reviews or opinions welcome.

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

Well, I took the plunge anyway. Found it for £26 on CJ's CDKeys which I was prepared to take a punt at, plus the reviews have taken an upturn following the latest patch.

I have to say, I'm glad I did. I'm about 3 hours in so far and the story is very engaging. The combat is classic RPG through and through. Default is 'Pause on (action)' but can be played in real time if you're suicidal. The voice acting for main plot lines is excellent (side plots aren't voiced, text only) and the artwork and graphics are stunning. There's an insane amount of options to customise how the game plays and feels and seasoned CRPGers shouldn't be too keen to play this game on a hard setting, it WILL kick your ass. There's 5 difficulty settings from easy to instadeath, but there's also a custom option whereby you can make the combat a little more challenging, whilst making city management easier for example - and anything in between.

Classic RPG elements like character growth and items are aplenty and follow the classic tabletop format, as does the combat. Check rolls, combat and almost everything rely on the roll of a D20 +/- (x) if you have bonuses or deficiencies. Character development is extremely varied, allowing more customisation than I expected and in truth, is really needed but its welcome. They've also included weight to the in-game items, leaving characters overburdened if you're not careful which affects their ability to travel distances without rest, which leads me on nicely... Rest. Every so often, when outside of a town or rest area, your party will need to camp to regain energy, heal and eat. You assign characters to specific roles such as hunter, chef, guard etc etc. Some of your characters will be better than others at certain roles, so you tweak the assignments as they develop. For the chef, recipes found whilst questing can be learned by one of your characters, so identify your cook early on and make sure their skills remain current as ingredients change from area to area. I could go on and on...

The quality and depth of detail is absolutely amazing and to think this was from a Kickstarter just makes it even more so.

If you're on the fence, don't risk splinters.. it's worth a buy.

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

My friend streams it on Mondays from 19:00-21:00 UK time, so right now! If anyone wants to check it out:

https://www.twitch.tv/squiiddish/

Or actually not this week because there's a 6GB update he hadn't done before the stream, started!