1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling PC-60/PC-61 Water Cooling...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by isisfreak, 15 Mar 2004.

1. isisfreak

isisfreak What's a Dremel?

I'm going to be starting my next project soon ( :rock: ) and I decided that I want to water cool this time around. My problem is that I want to get a PC-61 and I want to put the rad. on the top of the case. But, I don't know what kind of stuff I can fit in this case. I have been looking for pictures and specs with people using this case for hours now. If you have one of these cases and your using water, could you please post some pictures and specs? Thanks everyone!

2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

:confused: There are loads of watercooled PC60's!

Here's one of hand. MrPlow has his radiator in the top.

TBH you could fit pretty much any watercooling system in these cases. You just need to plan it properly.

3. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

:eeek:

my case! :D

It does fit... the main reason I put the rad up there was to make sure I could keep my hard disk rack - often people put the radiator down there and mount hard disks in the "floppy" rack.

I had it all setup and finished but then I decided to use that natty aquatube so I took it all apart again.

[​IMG]

mmm aquatube.

I can't find the thread on here with the "finished" pics from before, I definately did one. Meh..

Anyway, good luck :) :thumb:

4. isisfreak

Well my problem is that the only PC-61 that I can find has the premodded blowhole. I'm just wondering if I will be able to fit a black ice pro up there and get rid of that. Thanks for the help guys!

5. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

That aquatube on my case is in roughly the position that premod blowholes are. If you mount the rad up front like in my case (taking 2 cdrom bays) you can keep the blowhole, if you move it back a bit you'll just have to cut the blowhole out... you're gonna be cutting a big-ass hole anyways...

6. isisfreak

I'm try to get rid of the blowhole and just have the rad. on top.

7. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Why not put your res there. Aqua tubes were born to go in there. If you want a 1/2 system you can get it bored (sp!) out sso that it doesn't restrict the flow

8. isisfreak

:( I'm trying to go pretty cheap.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Last edited: 16 Mar 2004
  10. isisfreak

Alright, one more question. Should the fan suck air through the rad? Or should it push it through? Thanks!

11. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

Generally, the most accecpted answer is pull. Its more effecient and creates less air turbulance (i.e. less nosie). Thats the theory anyway....

12. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

I've done something like this with my PC61.

I was initially going to have the rad and the res mounted in the top of the case, and although chopping out the fan grille wasn't too much bother, I couldn't bring myself to make another big hole for a rad.

Then I discovered the the rad supplied with the WaterChill v1 water cooling kit fits almost perfectly into the bottom front of the case... once you've removed the hard drive cage of course! Some chopping and filing made the holes larger to prevent restriction to the airflow, leaving me with this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pump is located on its side in the lower two 5 1/4 inch bays...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Mar 2004
  13. Risky

Risky Modder

Hey I recognise those rad fittings. You did the pushfit rad mod as well!

14. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Apparently the difference between them is neglible. It all depends on how your case is setup so which ever way is easiest for you.

15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Technically push should fare better for cooling - turbulent airflow is better at removing heat. If you're concerned about the noise, however, go with a pull config. Either way, make sure it's fresh cool air over the rad and not skanky warm air from inside the case.

16. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Like mine :eek: :blush:

17. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I suppose the thing is, in a water cooled pc the internals don't heat up too much anyway, since the heat from the cpu and gpu is being drawn away by the water rather than into the case air, so it's probably not too bad to have the rad on an exhaust. In an ideal world, though, you'd get best temps by running it on an intake.

18. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Now I want to do that but the front cover ruins the air flows did you not find that? Or did you mod the front cover too?

Tags: