1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks PC Crashes, network connection drops out

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Fat Tony, 23 Feb 2014.

1. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I have my main PC connected to a router in the normal way, via a normal network cable. The router is in turn connected to a Virgin Media box acting simply as a modem, the router is an Asus RT AC66-U.

There are many other devices around the house also connected via the router - either directly, or via HomePlugs or wirelessly - all of which is normal.

All settings on the router are normal, accept I have assigned specific IPs to certain devices [NAS box and phones mostly] - but nothing unusual.

However, when my main PC crashes [I'm a serial tinkerer] the network goes down - the broadcast wireless network remains, but internet access drops - and all other networked devices drop internet connection - but interestingly, can communicate between each other - via the router.

It's as if the router has received some signal from the PC that it's crashed, and shuts down the external connection - but why would it want to do this? and how can it tell?

Baffled - what is going on here?