1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Freezing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by morris8809, 24 Dec 2008.

1. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

I work for an ISP and we do pc repair in office as well but im starting to have a problem with my office pc. We arent a big company just a few employees so we usually take care of the pcs ourselves. Currently my pc has been Freezing up and the mouse light goes off as well as the keyboard #lock light. Here are the specs

Win XP Pro 32bit
    P4 2.66Ghz Northwood Socket 478
    Gigabyte 8IE533 Motherboard
    1GB ram (512 stick, 2x 256 sticks of ddr)
    FX series graphics card

I can be surfing the web, using microsoft access or anything else when it happens. Id really like to figure this out as working with a customer on the phone and you pc freezing is starting to get really annoying. If you need anymore info just ask and ill provide. Thanks for any help.

2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Hmm. I'd check your task manager for what's showing as cpu/memory usage hogs. Keep it running in the background and check it out.

The lights on the keyboard and mouse (assuming USB) going out make me wonder about the power supply.

If there's nothing software-wise going on to hog your resources and cause a freeze, I'd look at the hardware, like the PSU. Do you have a spare to test with?

3. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

yea ive got some extras laying in the shop ill go grab one in a few. Thanks for the idea.

4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I was going to say psu also since the usb's lost power, but I didn't want to open my mouth and then have someone just destroy my suggestion since I suck with trouble shooting lol... Best of luck fixing it.

5. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

I've seen some weird things resolved by swapping PSUs, so you can never tell. It's always great to have spares on hand to try out... and I'm sure lots of folk's here have access to spares. ;)

6. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

:thumb:i just swapped my pc out for a backup layin around but im going to try and figure the other out.