1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC Games pricing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by NikoBellic, 7 Mar 2010.

?

Do you think current prices are ridiculous?

1. Yes

41.2%
  2. No

58.8%
  1. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

Well, I think that the pricing of PC Games is rediculous, especially when you consider that its buried in all of this annoying DRM.

But How much Would you wanna pay for a brand new game on day of release?.

I Had a quick go on Crysis warhead last night (After finding a way of cracking it because I'd used up my key 3 times previously after OS reinstalls... this was before they released the deactivator thingy btw...) but anyway, I had a quick go last night, and I had completed it in three hours (without cheats) so obviously, the £19.99 I payed for it on day of release was just rediculous.

So, basically, I want them to remove all signs of DRM, (although maybe give you a simple CD key without any forced lockout system) and give me more than 3 hours of play OR charge £15 (RRP). Simple really.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2010
  2. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Some games, yes. Some games, no.
    I'm happy to pay full price for a game that is designed with the PC platform in mind, BFBC2 for example.
    Something like MW2 (which I used to love, now hate) isn't worth £30 on PC, there is NOTHING that takes advantage of the many things a PC is capable of.

About Crysis Warhead, yeah, it's a bit short, but getting the Maximum Edition which includes the original and Warhead solves the issue.

It's sometimes not worth getting a game on day of release due to two main reasons: patches wiping save games and pricing. Tbh, patience is a virtue.

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

There's a simple solution for this if you think games are overpriced: don't buy them. You're the consumer, you have the choice. If you'd rather see game developers go out of business left, right and centre because you're too cheap to pay more than £12.99 for them, then that's your call. For the rest of us, like me, who happen to think that games are good value compared to say, going to see a movie or buying a DVD, then no, they're not overpriced. Especially when you consider than the amount of development hours going into games these days has skyrocketed compared to 15 years ago, yet you want to pay less for them now than you did then? :eyebrow:

4. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

Knowing me though, tbh I probably would just forget about the game if I left it for a bit...

*EDIT*

More development hours doesn't mean better games though... if it took 5 years to make a scratch card, I still wouldn't buy it... fact is, if they wanna charge so much, they've gotta have a better end product for us consumers to buy!

5. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't want to see games developers going out of business because too many people think that paying anything above £12.99(GBP) for a new game is unreasonable.

Considering the amount of money these developers spend on game development these days, capping the retail price of brand new PC games at £12.99(GBP) is quite ridiculous.

It's funny the amount of money some PC gamers spend each year on PC hardware, yet have such high demands for games and don't want to pay for them. If someone is poor and can't afford the price of a brand new game (or hardware), then that's a little different. But to suggest that PC games are overpriced, even though we pay less than console games, is just simple ignorance.

Like smc8788 says, I also think games are good value. I watch a new blockbuster film. It lasts for 2 hours. I know the storyline. There's not anywhere near the replayability like you get with a video game. Especially motor sport games where there's no storyline to get tired of, but just plain addictive fun.

6. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

£30 is absolute maximum i'd pay for a game.

as for OP £12.99 ? really ?

do you wait for every game for few months/years to get it when it goes down in price ?

7. sHORNY

sHORNY What's a Dremel?

they are cheaper than 360 and ps3 games so im happy :)

pimonserry likes this.
  8. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

+1 :thumb:

9. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

If I look back at games I used to buy a few years back, I don't think there has been a real increase in price. If anything, inflation might have cost a few pounds here and there but generally I'm glad to see that we PC users (even those of us who purchase on the premium pricing model of Steam!) don't pay as much as people on the XBOX and PS3.

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Another +1

I got AvP for £18, and AC2 for £26.

On PS3 they are £35 and £40 respectively (from the same site).

And on PC they don't need the disc running continually, and in theory should look better if they're ported properly (more graphics horsepower in a decent PC).

11. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

If you're willing to wait a couple of months, and shop around, games prices aren't unreasonable for PC.

Basically what everyone else has said.

If there's anything I'd complain about it's spending money on sight unseen games. Demos Demos Demos.

12. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

So what your basically saying is you'd rarther pay £10 less for the PC version, but be buried in DRM like Ubisoft has on AC2 forcing you to lose your progress everytime your internet or there servers have problems?

13. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Whether the PC game is £10 less than the console version or the game is £20 less, it will still contain DRM.

14. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

to be honest, if they just used steams services for everything (including DRM) or even DRM similar to that in GTA IV (unlimited Activations) I'd pay £20 - £30, but I don't like the idea of buying a Ubisoft game at full price with Ubi's latest DRM on it... which is a little dissapointing, because I was interested in getting Splinter Cell Conviction... but I guess thats out the window now... if ubi see sence and don't ruin SC:C with that DRM I'll buy it on Day of Release, but if they use that style DRM then I'll leave it until its price has been lowered considerabally

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

But DRM is another matter, separate from the price one. If I didn't buy another Ubisoft game, it would be because of the DRM, not the price. It's still the same game underneath, and shouldn't affect how it is priced.

16. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

I would be pi**ed off though if I paid £30, for AC2 only to find that I constantly get returned to the desktop and I have to restart from the last save point.

I'd end up trying to crack it anyway to avoid losing where I am... imagine some DRM like that in the Tomb Raider games... once you've finally got over that ultra difficult jump, you've lost connection and then it takes another 3 days to get over the same jump... that would do my head in.

17. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I think you're being a bit cheap, i will play a game for longer than the duration of a film on dvd so consider it to be worth a bit more.

My limit is £25 for something i really want, otherwise i don't mind waiting.

I got left 4 dead before left 4 dead 2 was released for £15 and recently got left 4 dead 2 for £15.99.

They both have DLC coming so that's not bad value.

I did pay £25 for Batman AA but I really wanted that and i got Dirt 2 for £18, it was not as good as i hoped but i think worth what i paid.

It makes me laugh when i see console games for £40 in my local Morissons....NO friggin way would i pay that much for a game.

18. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

to be honest I did go a bit overboard saying i wouldn't go over £12.99(GBP), I think that £25 is more realistic for something I really wan't... but if its just a random game that wouldn't normally be of interest, £15 may just pull me in to buy it...

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

The higher price of console games is somewhat compensated for by the stronger second-hand market though. I can easily sell quite recent PS3 games for £15-£25 once I've finished playing them.

pimonserry likes this.
  20. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

I used to be happy paying £40 for a brand new game, i.e. during the 90s. But since I've used Steam, my threshold has dropped as all I need to do is wait a month or so and Steam usually has them on offer, or there is a good bundle/pre-order deal.