1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC Games pricing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by NikoBellic, 7 Mar 2010.

?

Do you think current prices are ridiculous?

1. Yes

41.2%
  2. No

58.8%
  1. tonytheprawn

tonytheprawn What's a Dremel?

Are games too expensive is a question only the developers/retailers can really answer as the pricing needs to be right in order for them to turn a profit. In terms of the gamers who actually purchase the games, income vs expenditure will be so varied as to render the question meaningless.

Value is relative. When demand is high in a free market it is no surprise that prices start out relatively high. Once demand drops off or if not enough sales are made at the initial price point then prices will enivitably drop.

I personally think that there is enough healthy competition in the games market currently that if you shop around you can find a good deal.

Anyone who purchases a game in week one of release and then complains that it is too expensive is a moron. If it was too expensive the purchase would never have taken place. To complain about paying a high price for something you feel you must have right now is deluded. If adverstising and hype makes the game as crack to you then expect to be ripped off.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I feel that game prices are currently ridiculous because of one thing: DLCs.

Used to be that I was happy paying $50, even 60 for a PC game because I knew it would be updated and patched and get even better over time. Team Fortress 2 is a great example, the game was initially a great deal of fun and certainly worth a good deal of money, but even 3 years later there are still updates to the game adding more content and fun. Other games allow for user created content which allows for more free additions to the game. Borderlands is an example of the opposite of this. I found it to be a very short game hardly worth $50 on release yet waited and had hope, some people really enjoyed it. Yet now not even a year later there are multiple DLCs out making it cost even more. That is the kind of behaviour I expect from a console game, it greatly upsets me.

Of course, as the consumer I have the power to choose and shift the market to what I want, but with long term things such as patches and DLCs one can never truly know. I recently bought BF:BC2 on the premise that the worst EA will do is release an optional expantion like Northern Strike, but how can I be sure? For all I know they might break it all up into micro-transactions and charge $3 for a new map every couple months, $3 for a new weapon here and $3 for some petty new character skins or other useless things.

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

DLC's are one of the reasons i'm starting to lean towards buying games a while after they come out. Bought Fallout 3 for £26 on release but about two years later landed up buying it again in the GOTY edition for £17 as it was cheaper than buying the DLC seperately.

4. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I voted yes, lately i feel PC gamers are being robbed when it comes to value for money the latest game may look great but i feel that's where it stops. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but i remember that a game would last me a week if not more, I'm re-playing fallout 2 (RP 1.2) and its kept me going for weeks. For me crysis was the final nail in the coffin not because of the sys requirements but because it felt like half a game. I could rattle on about this for ages my that should be saved for another post.

5. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

I did when they first started $60 (U.S.) with COD:MW2 but then an article in PC Gamer magazine made me rethink my position.

I have been paying $50 for new PC games for at least 15 years. Well it's been 15 years so shouldn't inflation and the increase in cost to develop todays game earn the devs $10 more for a game?

With that being said. I won't pay $60 for a consolized PC game (COD:MW2). If I want it at all I'll wait till I find it on sale or in MW2 case, never. I need LAN play and it wasn't included. Also the single player was only 4 or 5 hours. What a rip off.

Give me pull blown games developed for PC first and I'll gladly pay $10 more.

If we paid $10 more for great PC games would the devs/publishers be more willing to give us exclusives again?

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This is where my annoyance/conspiracy theories start. Release half a game, set buyers up for DLCs (or in the case of Crysis, expansions). It makes me scared to buy any story-driven game until a quality review has been done, or I've heard about it from a good friend. Assassin's Creed was the nail in the coffin for me. Beat it in two days of moderate gaming, no additional gameplay options other than replaying (not exactly a great prospect... I found the story a bit bland to try again) or gathering pointless things for no good reason. If I wanted to pointlessly gather things I'd still play WoW. $50 for full retail and Steam says I've spent 15 hours playing it. Compare that to Killing Floor: $10 with 100+ hours, or TF2 for $30 and 260 hours. Singleplayer Oblivion clocks in at 60 hours. Those figures lead me into my other point: with the exception of a decent RPG, games almost need to have a decent multiplayer aspect to be the most cost effective.

Oh, and a fun thing I remembered: Resident Evil 5's challenge to beat the game in under 5 hours. Granted this is supposed to be difficult, but 5 hours is almost nothing. For me that's putting aside one weekday after work/school. But again, multiplayer saved this game for me with co-op and Mercenaries.

7. October

October Mariachi Style

Gonna say a definate NO to this one. I spent a reasonable amount in the Steam Christmas sale, Steam game list has passed the 80 game mark now. Very few of them cost me over £5, think I spent more than £10 on 2 or 3. Granted they're not new releases but who needs new releases? I have easily enough gaming to do me til next years Christmas sale.

Also (somewhat ironically), since I've had no access to Steam over the last two weeks (because of my own stupidity, can't fault Valve) I've been forced me back into Game to see what bargains I can find: Dirt, £3; Deus Ex (1 & 2 collection), Endwar and Prince of Persia (the last one, love it sooo hard right now) all nicely in the 3 for £10 range. Two of those are practically just a year old.

Overpriced? Come now...

If a game is too short for your money, it's pretty much your own fault for rushing straight in to buy it immediately on release. Every MW2 review I've read said pretty clearly its a 6 hour game tops. Pretty sure everyone knew how nerfed the online was going to be before release too. I've learned from my mistakes, review always comes first now.

8. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

If you're worried about price then quit stealing games! It's as simple as that. You're part of the problem that directly effects high prices and DRM. PC games suck because of these issues. Start becoming part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

YES WE KNOW

10. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

when i think back to the days of £50 snes games todays prices on pc and console arnt to bad at all

11. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

I didn't say that I like to illegally crack games I only crack games that I've purchased, what I was trying to say was that if I purchased the game and then kept on gettin kicked out of the game I'd just find a workaround so I don't lose my progress.

But I've promised myself I won't get any Ubi games that use this DRM unless they are very good games and they would have to be low priced for me to have to put up with continuously losing my progress.

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Don't worry about Warrior, he's our resident illiterate anti-PC troll.

13. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I thought we were talking about new releases being over priced.

14. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

You could argue that they aren't exactly old, a year isn't that much really, especially with the retarding (yes, I said retard! SHUSH) effect consolification is having the advancement of game technology. It just shows that new releases aren't worth getting half the time for the price they are.

15. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

16. L Plates

L Plates Irritating annoyance

Not so long ago Steam did an experiment with pricing and I recall they released statistics on their findings (sales). Basically they reduced usual price (L4D I think) over a weekend. The results were plain to see that they sold enormous quantities of the game and made what they believe was more of a profit through mass sale than would possibly have occurred had they not done so. ie. People who wouldn't have bought the game did so because it was cheaper.
    Of course this doesn't mean normal price is dropped and why would it? There are far too many people who suck up all the marketing hype and buy the must have game as soon as it is out. Hell I'm amazed initial prices aren't higher still, I'm certain the sales would still be there and then reduce after the first month or two to what is now considered normal.
    Price/Demand is what it's about, if I demand that new game right now so I'm one of the first to play then I should expect to pay the price otherwise have some patience, wait and not only will it be cheaper but you'll also discover you're wasting less money on games that don't make the grade since all those people who paid high are moaning they wasted their money. Personally I try to be very selective of what I buy brand spanking new.

17. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I personnally think it comes down to whether you buy into the "must have" label a new game wears. If you do and so must have it on release or shortly after, you can't really complain if you're paying £25+ for the game. If, like me you're happy to wait 6months and legally buy the game then, £10/12 would not be unresonable. Remember, no matter when the game is bought, be it first day at full price or a year or so later out of the remainder bin, the developer still gets paid.

18. October

October Mariachi Style

QFT. I picked up Arkham Asylum (half price or £2 cheaper if you buy it with Just Cause = WIN) yesterday. In fairness I didn't have the system to run it at release but it was £30, no way was I paying that. 6 months later I get it for essentially a quarter of the price (if you divide the £13 evenly between AA and JC) and I haven't even gotten round to loading the demo yet.

It's the same with movies. You could pay £20 for a DVD at release because you have to see it again right now, or you could wait a few months and pay £3. Simple.

Release day prices are for hype fed suckers and uber fans. Discerning consumers know better.

Elton likes this.
  19. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

No and i think people who think they are a rediculous price are a bit short sighted.

Look at a dvd, brand new ones have an £18 RRP for say about 2 hours, and thats fixed unless you like watching special features.

So say they're £9 an hour.

A PC game which was 5 hours with no multiplayer would have the same value at £45 RRP.

Also please don't add an s to DLC, it's c for content which already covers the plural.

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well kept.

Mine was on the BBC B, oh the days when you crossed your fingers and hoped the audio tape wasn't twisted and that the volume was set just right for it to load. :D