1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC Games! What now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Thacrudd, 14 Jan 2008.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Fire at will is worse :p

Get Steam and download Psychonauts. I've just started playing and it's a great, genuinely funny mad house game.

2. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Sorry CardJoe but you are seriously not average, you have nothing to worry about.:thumb: @ Will LOL it's just another thing to keep you on your toes. Is psychonauts sota the same kind of humor I came to love playing Earthworm Jim? That game is great and the music was awesome. I already have Steam and I considered getting Just Cause. I heard it was good.

3. will.

Just cause is pretty bland really... Well, visually it's quite nice, but gameplay and story, not so much.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

30 seconds is all you need to get the storyline. That's what made the demo so effective, it explains the entire premise in a minute-long segue (sp?). Fair game if that didn't appeal to him.

Just Cause doesn't work well on pc controls unless you mess around with them extensively or use a 360 pad. It's a console game, pure and simple - I sampled the demo, and trying to wrestle the chute into the right trajectory using WSAD directional keys was insufferable >.<

Deus Ex: seconded.

5. Thacrudd

I was under the impression that Just Cause gave you the ability to do all the things you wanted to to in GTA. I guess I had the wrong impression lol. Is it just repetative or "been there done that"?

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Thief 1, 2 and 3. If you have an old PC start on 1. If you don't want faff with settings then skip to Thief: Deadly Shadows. You don't need the backstory to understand the game.

7. Thacrudd

I played Deadly Shadows a couple years ago and LOVED it. I didn't even know there were ones before it! I'll have to check that out you got me excited now.

8. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I love the Thief series, loved all of them. To me they have good replay value aswell, especially Deadly Shadows. As for just Cause, it's no where near as good as GTA:SA, at least on GTA you can get from one side of the map to another in a reasonable time, in Just Cause it takes about 25 minutes of slow, slow moving, even the planes are slow...

What about jumping on Steam and buying the Max Payne series, they were great games.

9. Thacrudd

I've never tried Max Payne. It looked a little too same ol' same ol' to me but I could be wrong. My friend had it and he didn't like it too much. What about that that RTS Universe at War? Anyone give it a go?

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Aww Joe, you know we don't mean you when we say it! :p

My recommendations:

Deus Ex
    System Shock 2
    Fallout 1 & 2
    The Baldur's Gate series
    X3 Reunion
    The Legacy of Kain series
    Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries

+ Everything in Joe's Article

11. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

There's not much reason these days, to "regret" buying a game.
    There are almost always demos available, which at least give you an idea of what the full game will be/is like (graphics/gameplay etc) :idea:

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

complex 6.0 just came out for homeworld 2 if you have that game sitting around on a shelf somewhere.
    http://www.homeworld2complex.com/
    I played it today, its really good.

13. Thacrudd

Trust me dude I regret buying Genisis Rising LOL. I should've found a demo first. Zurechial has a good list there. I can always dig a Mechwarrior title. My friend like the Legacy of Kain series so much he named his son Malek.

14. will.

How odd...

15. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Legend! If I ever have children I'll be calling the firstborn male Raziel :p

16. Thacrudd

It's a cool name why not?:thumb:

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

witcher is fantastic
    unreal 3 is great if a little repetative
    FSx resource hog havnt played it yet
    Hellgate London is rubbish

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No. Just No. 3 was so much better it can't be expressed in words...

19. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

I'm playing through the single player of Hellgate London, and I never thought I'd get into these kind of games. Still don't understand half of it, collect Paladium (sort of like money) earn experience to level up (get better weapons) skill points (learn how to do stuff better). All the keyboard shortcuts is going to give me early arthritis of the hands.

Graphically, its nice on the eyes, gameplay, ok thus far. Currently level 37 after about ~ 3 hours.

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I like 3 too, simply because the MechLab is so much more open-ended and there's less overall dumbing-down for the XBox generation than there is in 4.
    I've never tried any of the other MW4 games because Mercenaries is the only one that doesn't install that C_Dilla ******** onto the system for user-rights-stamping, but I think Mercs is actually half-decent and has some surprisingly good voice-acting, for Spectre and Castle in particular.

3 is great, but getting it to work reliably on XP and modern hardware is often a nightmare unless you're really, really lucky or well-versed in the lore of the application compatibility toolkit and fan-patches, which is why I recommend MW4: Mercs.

If MW2, MW2:Mercs and MW3 all worked reliably on XP then I'd recommend every one of them, but trying to convince someone looking for a new game to try a game that could require hours of tweaking and user-patching just to get to the main menu or past the first mission without crashing is like ice-skating uphill. :p

Tags: