1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC Hardware Buyer's Guide May 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 May 2010.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The HD4850 can be had for a bit less than the GTS250, about $100 USD here.

2. Nature

Nature Minimodder

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Affordable All-Rounder Price should be US$610

Enthusiast Overclocker Price should be US$924

Premium Player Price should be US$1860

Folding Rig Price should be US$945

I find it very suspicious that the price for the UK is always right, and the price for US is almost always lower than it should be.

4. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Obviously it is quicker at clock speeds but, I have one and have built two other systems with them, hoping I would be able to replicate the results of BT. Each time, each example clocked less than one 920 I have or equal to the other. One 930 failed to meet the speeds of either 920. Whilst some may clock more than a 920, my point is the cost, whilst still available currently, its slightly illogical to be recommending the 930 is my point. If there was still under £30 difference, I'd take a gamble on having the 930 and hoping it would clock better or be happy it was quicker at stock speeds.

In fact when my original 920 was sitting at 4GHz I enthusiatically read the review on BT about how much further the 930 clocked, and decided as even small clock speeds make quite big gains on the 930 (time is money for my photo editing machine sometimes) it would be worth purchasing one. Only to find it wouldn't even clock past 3.9. You can imagine how I felt just having dropped £235 on the strength of an article on here. The second example I built for my brother in law, reached about 4020 (201), but crashed on boot at anything higher, no matter the voltages, settings, etc. This was on two different boards also.

It seems other people on this forum and others have bought 930's and not experience the increase that CPC/BT have witnessed. I can only conclude that the chips that you receive are hand selected by your supplier or the manufacturer.

The difference however is not like the difference between say a B3 and G0 Q6600 where one always produced better results under overclocking. Right now there is £55 difference between them on Aria and there was £70 the other day.

5. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Media PC - we discuss this quite a bit in the office, one problem is that media PCs do rely on software a lot - so you wouldn't just be able to have a list of kit. It's a more involved process than designing a gaming PC. So we'd like to do it, but probably as its own article.

6. John_T

John_T Minimodder

To all the people moaning about how the folding rig shouldn't be in here and that it should be an HTPC instead, I have a question:

Why does it have to be an 'either / or' situation?

Is it not possible to have both? I've no interest in the mobile section in bit-tech, but I wouldn't ask them to ditch it just because I'm not interested in it. Having spec'd out the folding rig once I doubt it takes too much time & effort to keep it going, besides, it's not like Bit-Tech are about to run out of paper, (it's an online publication, not a General Election...).

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i would generaly not use GPUs any more (defernetly not new gts250 if i was) I7 clocked at 4ghz or higher is far better option, uses way less power and just cooling is the only issue that i am resoveing with 2 or 3x 120mm rad, (titan fernra seems to cope but fan has to be at full speed same goes for an Domino A.L.C as well when the room is quite warm)

CPC is one of the top 5 team folders in the world so removeing it is not what i would do (same goes for when video cards are been reviewed Folding results should performed and are most of the time)
    could do with an HTPC as well

8. Ralphie_Lovebucket

Ralphie_Lovebucket Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever

+1 on an HTPC build

9. ogi010

ogi010 What's a Dremel?

Another problem with HTPC builds is that they can vary drastically based on the needs of the individual.

I'm about to build my own HTPC, but I'm going to be using a nvida ion MB/CPU/GFX, combined with a SSD, some memory and run XBMC exclusively on it.

Now someone that wants a HTPC for light gaming and to watch TV through it as well, may require a drastically different build...

10. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

True; I don't watch TV via my HTPC - I have a Virgin cable box for that. The HTPC is for iPlayer, Blu-Ray, and internet videos. TBH, I think that's the best way to do it as TV tuners are a lot of hassle and now that we've got iPlayer/4oD etc (Hulu in the US), less useful too.

11. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

ok - get a receiver from Richer Sounds for around £200 and then get a HTPC build that fits in the same size box (because it's got to fit under a decent 1080P TFT screen) - and I appreciate what you're saying about the software - but at least give us a heads up on your ideas for the hardware.

Windows 7 does come with Media Centre - why not a feature on getting the best from that?

12. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

You might want to head back to one of the earliest posts on the subject (mine) and note where I said that I would only suggest dropping the Folding rig IF both an HTPC and a Folding Rig together would cause too many time constraints. We're not saying it's an either/or scenario, just stating our preference for one over the other. And Quite honestly, no matter how you look at it, an HTPC has a far greater market than a folding rig. The benefit to readers of doing an HTPC build is self evident. A folding rig really only hits a select few who have the spare funds to build one after they build their main rig, any secondary rig, and in most cases an HTPC, a NAS and possibly a web server (or any combination thereof). The folding rig is so far down the list in priority that it doesn't justify it's slot in the Buyer's guide. The power of logic compels you!

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I can probably contribute this soon, but I need to review more mini-ITX boards and cases. Getting to know stuff that fits and can be bought is absolutely paramount to a recommendation.

14. void

void What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all your hard work keeping these updated. These are what brought me to bit-tech in the first place over a year ago.

15. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

It would of been nice to see an AMD system in there. I haven't read previous months so I don't know if there's a general bias towards Intel systems but it would be nice to see an alternative.

I am building a PC with very similar spec to the Enthusiast Overclocker http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=187712 but with a slightly tighter budget of £650-£700

But still an interesting read all the same.

16. ayqazi

ayqazi What's a Dremel?

I always check your site for monitor reviews.. and no monitor recommendations? I'm looking for a good (for it's class) 24" TN monitor, that I can add 2 more to in the future....

17. Rilott

Rilott What's a Dremel?

[In relation to the Enthusiast Overclocker build]

When reading this post on the BT blog about ITX motherboards (http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/05/27/will-mini-itx-will-lead-to-disappointment), I can't help but question the choice in this guide. I was considering buying one for a new i5 750 build, but considering the comments of overclocking ability, and all the reports of fried boards, I now have serious doubts. All this about power phase doesn't seem to be mentioned in here, and seeing as this build is designed for overclockers, the choice of board may not have been the best - again based on the blog post I linked above.

Thoughts?

18. samuelmorris

samuelmorris What's a Dremel?

The use of an HD5870 over the GTX480 or HD5970 is merely to keep the cost down. Granted, there are lots of problems with the GTX480 and I would never advocate one, but to say there's not much stock of either of these alternatives simply isn't true. There's more choice of the GTX480 and HD5970 than there is of the HD5850 or HD5870.
    Also agree on the over-zealous PSU. You could run that system off a 450W PSU with ample room to spare, not that you should. I see using a PSU with upgrade potential as wise, but a 650W unit would be more than sufficient for that.

19. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Is there going to be a July update?

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

July update? We're still waiting for the June one. :)

Tags: Add Tags