1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide May 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 May 2012.

1. mikkig

mikkig Big Giant Robot

Have we got to the point now that there isn't a need for a Highpoint card to run the SDD and hard drives off at 6gps?

2. rollo

rollo Modder

sli 680s with the same cpu you mensioned used less than 500 watts of power in an andtech review under full load and that was whilst overclocked to the hilt (http://www.anandtech.com/show/5787/...y-bridge-and-nvidias-geforce-gtx-680-in-sli/4)

what in the crazy world do you need 1200 watts of power for in the premium player overkill is not the word id use.

most new mobos have native 6gbs ports that are faster than the high point card that was needed in the pre sandybridge days.

SSDs in most systems is nice to see wont be longer before its every system i feel now

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The Intel SATA 6Gbps ports included in the p67, z68 and 77 chipsets are actually faster than the high-point card, so yes. And 6gbps HDDs are pointless, as they don't even approach the speed limit of SATA 3Gbps.

4. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

If you type in to Google, "Bit Te", the 2nd option recommended is the Buyer's Guide, after the site itself of course. I think that shows how popular this is, glad to see it back! And please put out one every month!! :D

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I can see we won't get away with this ;) so I've revised the PSU option to the 850W model. We haven't tested the exact model but we have tested its big brother so we'll relent (we haven't tested anything above 750W for a while). The 1200W model was a left over from our recommendation to buy the GTX 590 3GB which was a monster.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I must be invisible.

THE POWER!

7. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Well if it was a HTPC which can handle gaming as well you can just put the gaming workhorse in an ATX/mATX HTPC case with a suitable heatsink so I don't think you should have high end hardware.

It would be interesting to see if you chose a mATX case or something smaller because having a full size PC under your TV kinda defeats the point. It needs to be compact, quiet and aesthetically pleasing.

Would really look forward to seeing what you come up with.

8. Combatus

Not at all Ljs - our decision was based on your comment too! It's just we have more important things to do than monitor this thread every 0.1 seconds ;)

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Why aren't monitors included? Whilst most people would keep a monitor in between upgrades, it would be nice to include monitors that match the different budgets/scope.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I imagine Bit doesn't review enough monitors to be able to make an accurate recommendation.

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

That's totally inexcusable and needs addressing!

12. Monad

Monad What's a Dremel?

Going by this logic i don't understand why the the 3570K isn't recommended over 3770K is or at least mentioned.
    3570K gives off better fps in games according to what i've read so far and the price difference is pretty big.

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  13. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Really happy to see this feature back. Also really happy to see the system I built and the gaming workhorse are more or less the same, means I must have done a decent job is selecting parts. Really done see the need for an additional sound card for the gene v systems though. The on board is already a fantastic piece of kit, and is electronically isolated so distortion is at a minimum. Each to their own i guess :)

14. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Awesome, so glad to see it back. One thing I noticed though - cut/paste fail from previous guide in the Enthusiast Overclocker:

15. Combatus

But no where near as big as the price difference between the 3770K and a high-end LGA2011 CPU - you're talking less than £80 compared to £600. There's next to no difference in games - at least in our benchmarks, which is all we can comment on of course. At stock speed the 3770K was faster, and even when the 3570K was overclocked 200MHz faster (we're seeing quite a bit of variance in overclocks too) the 3770K was just a couple of fps behind.

Elsewhere, whenever the 3770K gets its hyper-threading into gear, in Cinebench for example, it's a lot faster than the 3570K. We're assuming that if you're spending over £1,500 on a PC then you'll be wanting it for demanding tasks other than games such as rendering and video encoding, and here the 3770K is definitely worth the extra £80 in our opinion. It's less than 5% of the cost of the PC after all.

16. Combatus

Thanks! Sorted!

17. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Any chance you could recommend an ATX motherboard option for the Premium Player? I was planning on Going SLI which would mean no room soundcard, TV card etc.

HTPC guide is a great idea. I don't play games on mine, I just like it to be low power and as quiet as possible whilst being able to record TV, play 3D Blu-rays and the like.

18. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Good guide, and as other people mentioned, it was one of the reasons why I came here :)

What SSD would you recommend for the Enthusiast build?

19. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Glad this feature has made a return as it has helped me out a lot in the past. Thanks Bit-tech dudes!:rock:

20. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Thank you. Great article. I have two questions.

1. The Enermax Pro 82+ EPR525AWT II in the affordable build is hard to find and prices are nearer to the Corsair Professional Series HX650 of the enthusiast build. Is there an alternative PSU for the affordable build?

2. The Asus maximus V gene is a great motherboard. The motherboard manual says it supports a S/PDIF out which you buy separately but I cannot find any accessory at Asus website or online. A useless feature if you can't find something that works for it?

Tags: Add Tags