1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC has major framedrops

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CheckTec, 11 Mar 2021.

1. CheckTec

CheckTec What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, heres the problem:
    My PC randomly has extreme framedrops which last for about 10-15 seconds. Task Manager shows the CPU and GPU dropping to very low percentages at wich it is logical that the games I play have freezes. I played a lot of Overwatch lately, the framerate there drops from 100 down to 0,5-2 but the drops can happen in every program (and its always the whole computer which is lagging, sometimes even just on desktop with nothing open), they just happen more frequently in programs with higher performance requirements. The freezes also mess with the audio sometimes, making the pc completely silent or not register mic inputs anymore until I unplug and replug my headset.
    The PC also sometimes doesn´t start the explorer.exe automatically. I boot up the PC and it shows me blackscreen instead of desktop. I then do strg+alt+esc -> task manager and start the explorer.exe manually but I would like to know why it doesn´t do that automatically...

Setup:

Motherboard: asrock 990fx extreme3
    cpu: amd fx 8120
    gpu: gtx 1050 ti
    Win 10
    psu: combat power cp 750 plus
    250Gb ssd, 500Gb hdd
    ram: Corsair xms3 ddr3 2x8Gb 1600MHz

That screenshot was taken with my old gpu, but it is the same problem now
    [​IMG]

I already tried:
    - checking the ram cards individually
    - updating all drivers
    - updating bios
    - bying an new, more powerful psu
    - new gpu
    - tested the drives individually

As far as I know, this narrows the problem down to either Cpu, mainboard or some weird software stuff, right?

I am available for more info if you need it

I apologize for my probably weird english, I am a german.
    Thanks for help!

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The GPU you've listed and the GPU in your task manager are very different... did you happen to have gotten it off ebay?

Anyway, have you checked the temperatures when this happens? Install HWINFO64 and monitor temperatures while you're gaming.
    Your GPU may just need a repasting.

3. CheckTec

As stated above the picture, i changed the gpu since i took the screenshot, and i now have the 1050 ti in my pc. I bought it new, so it probably does not cause those problems. I aso checked the temps and they seemed to be fine for gpu and cpu. the cpu works at a max of about 50 degree.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Where's Overwatch installed? On the HDD or the SSD?

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

latest nvidia drivers installed? DDU it and reinstall would be my first task

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I got caught out by a wonky CMOS button cell recently, so don't rule that out....!

Are you overclocking? If so, might be worth a reset just to test. I also used to have that blackscreen/no explorer issue on my laptop - going into msconfig from the Start menu and checking both Services (hide the Microsoft ones with the checkbox) and Startup items then clearing these out helped. I used the right-click on My Computer -> Manage options to disable the services I didn't want running. For me it turned out a bunch of Apple and Adobe stuff had kept reinstalling themselves and were causing some sort of delay at startup.

Something I haven't personally tried but that was suggested to me for a slightly different issue was an in-place upgrade of Windows, keeping programs and files intact, or failing that, a repair install. Probably a last resort though.

7. CheckTec

Thanks for the responses. Overwatch is installed on the SSD, I already tried reinstalling the drivers and I am not actively overclocking, altough the frequenzy of the cpu is changing constantly and sometimes above the base frequenzy. Thanks for the tips on the explorer.exe, ill try that.

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Complete freezes such as being described sounds like some kind of I/O bottleneck or conflict, be that hardware or software related. Also PSU (new one installed) and temps have already been ruled out based on the responses above. Ensure when doing so that you only install the key things required to test. It is possible that

Do you have the ability (spare drive) to try a fresh install of Windows? Might be worth trying to rule out whether it is something amiss with your Windows install itself causing the issue.

Other ideas are:

- Trying different SATA ports on the MB to rule out a problem with the ports themselves.
    - Use GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner to monitor what is happening with the CPU / GPU specifically when the freezing occurs.
    - As above but using either HWinfo or HWmonitor to monitor the CPU usage and power / thermals.
    - Ensure any overclocks are removed - run optimised defaults in the bios to be sure.

This sort of issue is sadly one that will require quite a lot of trial and error and it looks like a number of steps have already been tried without success. I haven't seen a fresh OS install being tried so that is probably where I would be looking.

9. CheckTec

Hey guys, I figured out the problem. Theres an option in the Bios named "AMD Application Power Management" which should normally adjust the power of the cpu or something, but it seemed to have messed up instead. I turned it off and now it works, no more lags. Also, my 2 ram cards werent in dual channel which also impacted performance. Thanks for the help tho! ^^

10. noizdaemon666

That's not a fix, it's a bypass/plaster. If APM wasn't working correctly that means something is definitely wonky and will likely get worse with time. Since it's an ASRock board, have you checked for BIOS updates?

11. satisfiedwimp

satisfiedwimp Minimodder

Turn laptop on and goto bios as in setup screen maybe f2 button or something else depending on laptop.

Then go on advanced then overclocking feature Then disable cpu turbo mode and then your cpu will run at 2.7ghz max. Also if you disable overclocking feature after it should do this to.

12. noizdaemon666

As above, not a fix. Given the other issues involved, I would hazard a guess at it not being related to CPU turbo modes.