1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Insomnia

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HumZilla, 3 May 2002.

1. HumZilla

HumZilla What's a Dremel?

Hi Peepz, this is my first post on Bit-Tech

I have an Abit KT7A-Raid, Athlon 950Mhz and a KR7-133R 1800XP.

The sleep mode only shuts the hard disk down but not the CPU. Is this normal? On older PCs I have Compaq Pentium 1,2, and 3 the sleep modes actually put the whole pc to sleep so u can sleep too.

I have played around with Power settings in control panel of Windows 98/2K/XP and in the Softmenu's but I can only get the hard disk to power down.

Is this just not possible because of Athlon chip heat issues?

2. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

if you have xp then when you get the three options up in the box (sleep, shutdown and restart) hold down shift and the sleep button will change to a hibernate button. This saves all your settings to the harddrive and then turns your pc off. When you tun it back on you are instantly in windows.

Welcome to the forums.

3. HumZilla

HumZilla What's a Dremel?

Thanks

I have already tried that one but I have found it to be clumsy.
    I want it to act so after 20 mins it sleeps so all u have to do is press any key or move the mouse and it will resume again.

4. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

it is normal for the cpu not to shut and hibernate is the only way to shut it down and get it to oot up quickly.

5. Adam

Adam Minimodder

This sort of thing depends a lot on the motherboard. Some boards I have seen will switch off the CPU fan when in sleep mode, some won't. There's not a lot you can do about it.