1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC is insomniac (won't go to sleep)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by IvanIvanovich, 17 Nov 2011.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Recently my htpc/server refuses to sleep.
    Specs:
    Zotac IonITX F-E
    mushkin ddr2 800 4gb
    Sonnet tempo 4port sata2 pci-e x4 card
    boot: Patriot Torx2 32gb
    storage:
    Hitachi hdt721010sla360
    Samsung hd103si
    Samsung hd204ui
    Seagate st2000dm0019yn1
    optical: Sony awg170s DVD RW
    500w Rosewill PSU
    keyboard: KBC Poker
    mouse: Elecom Scope Node
    display: JVC lt32p679

I first noticed the problem 4 days ago and have troubleshoot everything I can think of.
    I've made sure all drivers are up to date. I've unchecked allow device to wake computer on everything but the keyboard. I've ensured s3 was selected in bios. I've ran through the powercfg options like -requests and -energy which have turned up nothing.
    I reset the power profile to default, and tried power saver also. When I changed it to power saver it put the display to sleep 1 time, but not the computer and has not slept the display since...
    Other then windows updates I don't believe any software changes have been made unless something silently updated. No hardware changes were made prior to the problem starting.
    I can put it to sleep manually via the shutdown menu options, but need it to sleep automatically since I frequently fall asleep watching movies etc and don't want the display and computer running all night.
    I really don't want to resort to a reinstall since I only just set it all up again 2 months ago when I switched my boot to the ssd.
    Thanks.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Have you tried restoring yet. it could be a corrupted registry entry thats gives the sleep command. This used to happen with XP a lot also the shut down command used to become corrupted.

3. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

So, it always sends your pc to sleep just fine when you do it manually?
    I'd double check the power settings and really make sure it is indeed set to standby the pc after x amount of time.

It could also be the case of specific events waking up the pc before you wake up again.
    i.e. You fall asleep and so does your pc, but something wakes up the pc before you wake up, giving the impression that it hadn't slept.
    You'd need to snoop around in the Event Viewer for clues.
    Unfortunately, in my experience these standby issues are very annoying to troubleshoot.

4. IvanIvanovich

I turn off system restore so theres no option.
    Yes it always sleeps fine manually and is always still asleep until I bring it back up again that way.
    In event viewer I have a few errors in the application category called capi2. This seems to be for certification revocation list. Not sure if that would b causing the sleep issues, but I am looking into it. I also have a few warnings from searchgatherer. If I go through back several days I have a rather odd wmi error 0x80041003... now THAT looks like something that may be causing a real problem.
    Nothing unusual in the system category, just the odd dns warning.

5. IvanIvanovich

Well i seemed to have resolved the capi2 and wmi errors, and I have made a little progress as now it is attempting to go into sleep automatically, but as soon as it hits sleep it wakes again in a few seconds... with wake timers disabled. I've ran sfc scan and chkdsk again and both clean...
    Scheduled tasks doesn't have anything apparent. Not really sure what else to check on.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
  6. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Like you said, you've made some progress, but the fact that it works fine manually and not automatically is bizarre.
    You could try disabling/enabling hybrid sleep in the power options, but I don't expect it to do much.
    An alternative is to work around the issue. If you used Media Player Classic HC you could set it to send the computer to sleep after movies have finished playing.

7. IvanIvanovich

I already disabled hibernate via powercfg h/off when i installed last since I have a dinky 32gb boot drive. Which seems to disable hybrid too as there is no option for it anymore.
    I do use MPC and selecting standby after playback seems to work. I suppose I will try to remember to use that for now. Since I've been contemplating a new build for the htpc I suppose that works as a band aid solution. thanks for reminding me that option was even there.