1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC Locking up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by B33F1NAT0R, 26 Sep 2010.

1. B33F1NAT0R

B33F1NAT0R What's a Dremel?

my pc completely freezes and will not accept any inputs it happens completely random it can run for a few hours fine then it will freeze i have monitored all my temperatures and none of them are over 50 degrees Celsius.
    my specs are as follows
    Asus m4n75td motherboard
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055t processor 2.8mhz (not overclocked)stock cooler
    XFX Ati readeon 5870 1gb (not overclocked) stock fan
    gskill ripjaw ddr3 4gb 1600 mhz
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Modular Power Supply
    if i have missed and components out please let me know and thanks for your help :D

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

What OS are you running? What bit version? Do you have the latest patches if so? Have you tried using something like CCleaner which would help make sure that if the machine hasn't received any healthcare, it would at least take care of broken/missing registry items and the like.

When was the last time you defragged the OS (obviously not on SSD)? Do you run any PC health check programs at all? What AV are you using?

3. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

4. snakerine

snakerine holy immortal gingers

5. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Is your RAM OC'ed ?

I think I had a similar problem and it was because I was asking too much of my RAM IIRC.

6. B33F1NAT0R

im using windows 7 64 bit and ram isnt overclocked

7. B33F1NAT0R

i have de-fragmented the hard drive, used ccleaner and updated windows 7 and still have the same probelems

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

When was the last time you did a reinstall? :)

9. Mongwopman

Mongwopman King Ding-a-ling!

What does the event log say?

10. B33F1NAT0R

i only installed windows 7 about 2 week ago

11. B33F1NAT0R

i am this close to throwing my computer off the cliff behind my house

12. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

The only thing I can suggest is for you to make sure all the updates and hotfixes are installed as already stated and then do an update session on the manufacturers websites for the BIOS, chipset, system busses and any onboard devices that you can. You can then do a memory test through the F8 Boot options menu or use memtest. After that you can stress the system to check for stability.

13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

This sounds like a hardware issue to me.

I would suggest running memtest, furmark and Prime 95. (Especially memtest).

Try running your PC with just one stick of ram. If it locks up, swap it over with the other stick and see if the problem persists.

Test each stick of memory individually with memtest to highlight any problems.

If after all that memtest passes all the ram ok but the PC still freezes, try a different PSU

14. Faye Kane

Faye Kane Homeless Crazy Idiot Savant

How often does it freeze?

safe mode actually won;t tell much if the hang is infrequent, because you can't do anything in safe mode. so you get frustrated and reboot.

use a cpu temp util to check temp is under 50ºC. Does it fail only under load? Does it hang while idle? DOes it always fail in a game?

Run memtest, not that crappy test that comes with windows and doesn't show what it's doing.

try just one stick of mem, then try another stick only, and in another slot.

Yank out all cards including video and use onboard video.

if it still fails, then, as Hudson said, "It's all over man! Game over, man!", and 2 bad 4U, 2.

-faye

15. B33F1NAT0R

it freezes most during gaming and it can run for 3 hours at times but other times it will only run for 5 mins

16. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

+1 for the stress tests. Run each test for several hours.

Start with a memtest86+ boot cd. Let it run at least 3 or 4 cycles. If nothing shows up there, move on to prime95 and furmark. If they run for ~ 30 mins with no errors, you could try running them simultaneously, to save time and simulate better a gaming load on your system.

One question though: how's your PSU? Have you tried touching it while gaming and immediately after a freeze? How is it to the touch? Warm? Hot? Also how is the air coming out of it? Is it significantly warmer than the air in the room?

Last edited: 3 Oct 2010
  17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah hard lock is hardware.. if it passes prime or memtest it's probably your gpu overheating.. think a lot of people don't build computers correctly anymore

like my old rig had overclocked for 3 years and it still runs 24/7 and game stable with a oc'd 260.. the rig before that is 5 years running with a x800xl aiw (stock nowdays).. this new rig I've had for just a couple weeks- game stable at almost 4.3ghz

I retim everything though and work on getting the best temps by trying different things with the airflow.. if you can keep your temperatures in check on the gpu/chipset/cpu, you should have a stable setup

stock you shouldn't have issues which is why I'm thinking it's your gpu, if it passes memtest and prime.. pop that open and redo the tim (try something like mx-2 or mx-3) and change/re-seat memory pads

get ready to be shocked at the mess that's under the shiney cooler.. if it fails prime you might have to set voltages in the bios.. there's actually quite a bit to getting a rig prime and gaming stable- but it's worth the effort, otherwise you are rebooting, roid raging, and getting played on the botnet.. not good

next thing you know your a console butt buddy :D