1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC Locking up...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by RedFlames, 29 May 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Right, i need the help of the bit-tech hive mind once more...

My box of junk PC's current trick is to randomly lock up...

The PC will start stuttering and then will stop responding completely. No Bugcheck/BSOD, no error, just no response from the PC. [On a couple of occasions the screen has gone off].

My first instinct was overheating but none of the temps head north of 50, and rolling back the overclock hasn't helped either.

Any ideas?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Maybe try turning off any power management options in Windows / in the bios? Hard to say really

3. RedFlames

I'll give it a try... it's annoying as it's only started doing it the past week or so...

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Run a memtest. Check there is nothing loose.

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

check cpu usage, memory usage and disk usage. I have come across a few laptops recently that have been having their disk usage max out for no apparent reason ( all have been W10.. lol )

6. RedFlames

I'm still rocking an old rust spinner, so it's at 100% usage a fair amount of the time :p

Whenever it's had or looked like it was about to have a hissy fit my first instinct has been to try and open task manager [thinking memory usage] but it's usually frozen to the point of uselessness before task manger opens.

Annoyingly it's flown through every stress test i've cared to throw at it...

7. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

had this with an old hdd spin up time bad in crystal disk info it would then click as i rebooted but after a few times it would be fine even checking the drive with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic
    SeaTools would say the drive was fine