1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC market still shrinking, says Gartner

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

did I also read that tablet sales are looking at overtaking pc sales this year as well?

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

But this actually makes sense.

As the number of alternatives goes up the "family" PC will stop being a standard feature. You might as well say "the number of home phones being purchased has gone down" after the mobile phone became commonplace.

If you include smartphones and tablets to this figure I'd be suprised if the number of "personal (computing) devices" as shot up dramatically. Add in consoles to the mix and you've got most people buying a computer of some description during the year surely.

I'd be interested to know the figures on Desktop PC's grown/shrinking vs the Laptop market, as I'd guess that the desktop market will have been fairly stable over the last 5 years where the laptop market will have dropped as people who would be sat on the sofa with a laptop are now sat there with a iPad/Andriod tablet instead.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Depends who's figures you look at, but going on what Gartner predicts the answer is no.
    According to Gartner's predictions its not due to happen until 2015

EDIT:
    Total numbers of computing devices has gone up but not what i would class as dramatically as its only %4.5 http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2610015
    Its interesting to note that in October Gartner said they were expecting a decline of %11.2 in shipments of traditional PC's, so does this mean it was a better end of year than predicted ?

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  5. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I actually do all my gaming on iPad now. It kind of crept up on me. I was getting tired of FPS games on desktop and when the average price for a tablet game is between 69p to £2, it's great. Recently been playing Jet Car Stunts and now the new sequel JCS2. Strange that a game can be so immersive and impart such a great sense of speed on a 9.7 inch display. Oculus will be the device that makes PC games worth playing again though but I will continue with mobile gaming (and it may remain the dominant gaming platform for me now).