1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC Restarts During XP Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by dirtbiker, 14 Mar 2005.

1. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Ok, here goes:

I've just built a pc for my mum, its all budget stuff so i could do it as cheap as possible:

Foxconn K7S741MG Mobo
    Sempron 2200
    256mb Ebuyer RAM
    400w Generic PSU
    40gb WD HDD

When i go to install XP it will boot from the CD, go through all of the drivers in the bottom of the screen, go to "Starting windows setup", come up with the options screen (enter to continue, r for recovery console ect) and then the machine powers down. Any user input at this stage doesn't do anything.

I read a thread on another forum with this problem on this board but no good soloutions were put forward.

I've now got the machine running win98 and that installed and is running fine, so i dont think its a problem with the HDD. I'm using the onboard graphics on the motherboard.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Congratulations if you've got this far! :D

Last edited: 14 Mar 2005
  2. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a corrupted hd or the cable is bad..

3. dirtbiker

A valid point, but then why would the pc be able to install win 98?

I think i'm going to RMA the motherboard and go for something a little more expensive.

4. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Good plan. It's not a place to skimp. It might be worth running memtest from a boot disc to check that your ram is ok. Odd that 98 will install without issue though.

...You're right. Just RMA the motherboard.

5. dirtbiker

I've got it all sorted now. The problem was that the CPU heatsink was the wrong way round so its base wasn't fully in contact with the processor core. Stupid!

Now its running XP fine.

Thanks people, just glad that i found out what was wrong before i went to rma it!

6. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

Cool! I was going to ask if it was a hsf \ temp issue but was thrown by the fact 98 was running. Less stress I guess...

Tags: