1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC sales suffer biggest slump on record, claims IDC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Apr 2013.

1. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

This. Same issue with flat screen TVs, it's only the die hards who have kept anything old and the last upgrade in my family finally got rid of the only single-core left. The other rellies that used to ask me for PC advice all the time just leapfrogged laptops to go to Google Nexus and other tablets.

If the drop in boxed shipments mean that companies suddenly start remembering upgraders and enthusiasts again, beyond flogging laptop bags and external add-in drives, so much the better.

2. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Big culpit: tablets + pads.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

IMO, PC sales are declining purely coincidentally, due to the following reasons:

• Hardware is good enough and cheap enough that people don't have a need to upgrade
    • Windows 7 is stable, secure, and powerful enough that people don't have a need to upgrade
    • Windows 8 isn't very appealing to desktop users, and every major desktop environment in linux is undergoing drastic changes (making it have very few good options)
    • Tablets are cheaper, more "cozy" to work with, and accomplish most of the tasks people use a home PC for
    • Computers are relatively expensive and most people don't have the money
    • DRMs are a deterrent to PC gaming

The coincidence is all of these things happened within the past couple years and are really starting to take effect now. While I don't see many of them reversing any time soon, I think there's a point where the PC market will start to stabilize in sales - it just likely won't ever go up again.