1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC Switching itself off

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Spikey101, 8 Jan 2011.

1. Spikey101

Spikey101 What's a Dremel?

Ok, bit of a lame problem here.

My PC has been turning itself off at random for probably months now. It would do it completely at random, although it seemed to favour doing it after restarting from sleep state. I then upgraded to Windows 7 and it seemed to stop for a while.

Well, it's taken a turn for the worst. My PC now shuts off still seemingly at random, except when it shuts off the main power LED flashes very fast, meaning I would assume there isn't a steady supply of power into the PC so of course the PC won't restart. If I leave it for a while I then turn it back on at the plug and it will restart. Sometimes for good (Like now) Other times it will retstart and then turn back off during the startup process.

It's not triggered by overheating, as i've monitored all of that. The PSU isn't a cheapo one, but it's not a goodun either. What confuses me is you would have thought that if the PSU is struggling to provide the PC with enough power (By the way, it's a 600W and there is nowhere near that being used) then it would restart when im playing games or doing other high load activities, which it doesn't... At least not reliably. Only thing it does favour is retstarting when I bring the PC out of sleep mode.

I'm thinking it's more than likely a dodgy PSU, but failing that it's the MOBO. Well I can't afford the latter and need a new PSU anyway so I think i'll change that this week but was wondering if anyone on here had any sage advice, or had come across this before?

Thanks a lot!

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

First thing I would do is check the power lead going into the PSU, I had a dodgy one and it drove me nuts trying to work out the probelm, like you it was just shutting off randomly, I switched the leads and bingo, perfect. It could also be the PSU itself overheating, check the fans and give it a good clean out to get rid of any dust.

The thing about PSU rating is that although it says 600w, it how it supplies that power through the rails. You might be using something that requires 100w but the rails can only supply 85w (Thats just an example). So it's worth checking you haven't overloaded something. rather than plugging everything into one lead, which we are all guilty of sometimes, spread the connections around all of the leads.

Fizzban likes this.
  3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

+1.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

^^ This man speaketh the truth.

5. Spikey101

Spikey101 What's a Dremel?

It's not overheating as far as I know, ive cleaned it and whatnot. It HAS got multiple rails but I shouldnt be overloading any nothing has changed.

It might be the lead. I can swap that around just in case. Thanks a lot i'll check it out and get back to you!