1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Pc won't boot boot after new CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by streetuk, 23 Nov 2011.

1. streetuk

streetuk What's a Dremel?

Just installed a be quiet dark rock advanced and now my pc won't start. Worked fine before, just a black screen and it switches off and on again. All the fans are working fine.

Any ideas?

2. Allsopp

Allsopp What's a Dremel?

Rseat it would be the first thing I would try sounds like it might not be on the CPU properly so overheating causing the restarts

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Check to make sure you have all the mo o power cables stilk plugged in ok (12v and 24pin atx)

Make sure the cooler is powered up (attached via 3pin mobo header)

Also remove and re-seat your ram to make sure you didnt accidently knock it.

David likes this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This happened to a friend.

He had accidentally dislodged the ATX 12v (8pin) motherboard connector, when fitting the HSF.

Might be worth checking it out.

[edit] Bobby Ninja'd me :)

5. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

accidentally knocking the ram is common when installing a new cooler i have done it a couple of times.

6. streetuk

Tried that, one thing I've noticed is the hdd led doesn't flash on the case. I've also tried re seating the CPU so I don't think it's that.

I've also tried resetting my CMOS.

7. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

Mabye you could take a picture of the computer inside and post it! :D

8. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

does it post? does it say anything about cant find boot device or whatnot. if the hdd led doesnt flash it could just be the hdd isnt connected properly.

if it does post that is. sorry for stating the obvious

9. streetuk

Nope, nothing. No audio or video. I don't think it's any cables that I've pulled out during the install of the heatsink. (although I've still checked) I first installed my be quiet advanced with the mobo inside the case and got the blank screen. I thought it might be because the CPU wasn't seated proper and because the be quiet advanced is such a god awful mounting system (I struggled with the installation and wasn't too happy about how it's gone in) I didn't mind re installing it outside the case which would sort out my worries with how I installed it and also fix the potential problem of the CPU not being seated properly

10. streetuk

Btw j4mi3, don't worry about stating the obvious :) could be someone who'll search for this thread on google who having the same problem as me and it might not be obvious enough for them.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to take everything out and re install everything just to be sure. I'm going to upload a video before I do that though just to show exactly what it does.

Sorry in advance for the mess, my room isn't usually like this (only when I get new hardware and it goes tits up)

11. streetuk

12. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

did you take out the mobo when installing the cpu cooler - and in that room?

seems like you got a carpet.. and it's verry easy to generate static electricity on thoes.. trust me ! been there..

so it might caused the mobo to die!

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

(just use the last part of the shared link (ie: WF27YBhto2A) and then hit the YouTube button here

14. streetuk

15. streetuk

Thanks, can you fix the images for me below as well? And fix my pc as well :) I'm on an iPad so I think that's why they didn't work. Can't blame the thing though, at least it's still working.

16. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Pull the motherboard and double-check absolutely everything. Try every trick you can.

Last time I had a board do this to me; I sent it back to Scan; they tested it and found it working.

Double check the mounting on the Dark Rock, too, make sure it's not shorting anything on the motherboard, it's possible that could be a cause.

17. streetuk

That's what I'm doing now, reseating my CPU for the third time. Wouldn't mind, just hate the mounting system on the dark rock advanced. You need a second person ideally.

18. streetuk

Btw, does it matter too much if I sit the cooler on top of the CPU and then it lifts off while I'm fiddling with getting it attached? Or do I have to make sure that it stays touching the CPU while I screw it in?

Thanks again guys.

19. streetuk

Ok, I've just taken it all apart and put it back together again and nothing! Still the same. Might try putting my old noctua back in, could be that the dark rock advanced is shorting something. May as well go back to the stage it was at when it worked.

20. streetuk

Just noticed th dram led switch is lit continuously which means there's an error with compatibility (shouldn't be or it would have done this ages ago) or they're not installed properly.