1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC won't boot, no lights on motherboard when plugged in

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by drdro, 4 May 2010.

1. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

got a problem with my main PC yesterday. Specs are in my signature.

So like every morning, I turned my PC on, though yesterday it just turned on, and then turned off straight away, repeatedly. I checked all the cables, all was fine, so decided to clear the bios, though that didn't change a thing. So turned it off again, unplugged and re plugged all the cables, turned it on and heard some sort of bang, and then everything went black, and lost all power in my uni room.

So I tried the sockets in the corridor, which all had power (running my laptop charger from there), though my PC wouldn't turn on. I opened the case and noticed that even though it was plugged in to the power (with the power switch on the PSU obviously turned on), that there were no lights turning on on the motherboard.

Not having any spare parts with me at uni, the only thing I could think of was to try the "paper clip" trick. So I removed the PSU, plugged in some fans, and put the paper clip in. Turned the PSU on, and nothing happened, which leads me to believed that my PSU is fried, though I'm unsure.

So this is where I come asking for help/advice. I would hate to buy a new PSU just to find out that my CPU/mobo might also be fried (I'm low on cash, as most students would be).

So any help would greatly be appreciated, cheers !

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

need a new psu anyway.. I'd get a new one then see if anything else went from there

3. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

I had a similar problem recently, the morning after we noticed the house lights flicker quite a bit. I couldn't be sure if it was my PSU and/or motherboard, but when the capacitors started smoking I knew the board was dead!

I have heard it said that it is very unlikely to be a dead CPU. They are quite well engineered. It is most likely the PSU and/or motherboard (capacitors aging, failing etc).

1) You have checked the fuse on the plug? (lol sorry, have to ask).

2) Is there a funny smell coming from the PSU? Did you notice one after it went bang? Check also the Capacitors on the motherboard (usually next to CPU). Bangs like that are often capacitors expiring.

3) If you try the paperclip trick with the PSU did you fully unplug ALL power cables from the motherboard? In my case the case fans would start when the 4 pin 12V cable was disconnected, but not when it was attached. Fans powered from the motherboard naturally wont start so you'd be listening for fans plugged into a molex/dvd drive starting. I'd recommend unplugging hard drives in case the motherboard is faulty and it takes them down with it. Even if you get anything starting it could still be the PSU at fault.

4) Have you checked nothing is shorting out? It could be a lose screw behind motherboard/frayed cable caused the problem?

5) Without access to a multimeter/technician (hey try your Uni physics/electronics department!) there is not much you can do without replacing parts.

6) As you are a student spend remaining cash on beer instead.

4. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the detailed walk through EvilRush! Much appreciated

I hope the CPU hasn't been affected (otherwise my overdraft might finance a nice, new i5 :D)

I'll just go through in the order you posted.

1) Did check the fuse, and tried all the other plugs in the house, no issue there

2) I don't recall a funny smell coming from my computer, and check the capacitors (they seem to be fine, but what would an expired capacitor look like? I've never had such a problem)

3) I removed the PSU from the case with everything unplugged and then added 3 fans via molex. The fans didn't spin.

4) Also checked if nothing was shorting out. Took everything out of the case, and put in on my motherboard box. Once again, nothing happened.

5) I could give that a try, but as thehippoz pointed out, I do believe I need a new PSU anyways as it's not giving any signs of life. So I did end up ordering a new one (thank you student loan), via express delivery and should normally have it by tomorrow, so I'll post an update then.

6) Very good call ..check!

Thanks again for your help and time, and would definitely buy you a drink next time I'm in Arrg Yarrg :thumb:

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Like you say, you've tried jumping the PSU and failed. As blunt as this sounds I don't really think you needed us to tell you what you already knew.1 thing though ,when you jumped it I take it you went green and 1 of the black leads, make sure you try a couple of different black though as not all of them will jump start the PSU...But the 1 thing that makes me think it's fried, is where you said it went bang and everything went dark..lol. I think thats a little gave away.

6. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

Lol I did the same with my student loan when my PC died at uni. I had just finished Hitman and poof! Next thing you know I "had" to replace the whole PC! Hey I needed that new video card to help me write my projects!

As for capacitors: http://www.discovercircuits.com/dc-mag/Issue_4/rants-raves.htm

You'd definitely know if one broke. Generally they make them with a "+" scored on the top so they split open when they fail, instead of exploding and ruining all of the other components! I don't know how old your PC is, but I had two Asus Nforce4 boards fail at about 4/5 years of almost constant use.

7. drdro

drdro What's a Dremel?

SOLVED

So little update. Got my new PSU yesterday and everything works fine again. I did however get a system disk failure message, but that was solved by a new reinstall (good thing I don't keep anything but windows on my OS partition).

So yeah, as bulldogjeff stated, I could have solved this on my own, but it's always nice to have an opinion from experts.

8. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

That's why people use Forums, mainly as a confidence booster to their knowledge. It's always nice to have someone confirm what you suspect.

I still do it at work, even after 30 years on the job.....

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Like they say, 10 heads are better than 1...lol