1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC won't fire up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by death_munky, 1 Feb 2009.

1. death_munky

death_munky F*** the dremel, i'll use my teeth

Hi, i'm hoping for some advice with my PC.

I built a new rig before christmas and have had it running smoothly up until about two days ago when i couldn't get it to start up.

THe psu (Antec Earthwatts 450w) seems to be delivering power to the mobo (ASUS P5N-D) as the little green light is on down near the SATA ports.

However when I try to turn on the PC I get no response from the power switch which should light up. I'm using the Coolermaster Elite 330 case as recommended by Bit-Tech and i've double checked that all the case-wires are connected to the right pins on the mobo

Is it possible to start up the rig without using the power button so i can check if it is any of the components?

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Full specs:
    ASUS P5N-D
    Core2Duo 7400
    4GB Kingston 800mhz DDR2
    9600GT
    1x 640GB WD Caviar Blue
    1x 250GB WD Caviar
    1x 320GB 7200.10
    1x Sony DVD writer (SATA)
    Coolermaster Elite 330

thanks

2. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

first off id double check that the cpu and ram are seated properly...

then disconnect everything that isnt neccessary to try and make it turn on...

eg. just have the cpu, 1 stick of ram and graphics card in.
    If it doesnt turn on then get back to us...

3. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

You can indeed start the computer without the power button, get a flathead screwdriver and press it against the two pins used for the Power Switch. It should boot up right away.

If it was running fine before and you didn't change anything major (like trying a BIOS flash for a component or similar) then something has probably blown. If it's not booting up at all even after the screwdriver start, then my guess would be the motherboard, but get back to us with any more info before you go and do something like buy a new one.

4. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Actually, the best way to start the computer without the power button is to disconnect the PSU from the motherboard and graphics cards (if applicable, of course), and then use something small like a paper clip to make a connection on the 24-pin ATX connector between the green wire (power-on) and any black wire (ground). If the PSU is not at fault, everything it's connected to will start to spin up and make nice, normal humming noises as usual. Make the connection again to turn it all off.

Despite neither your case or motherboard coming with a speaker, your motherboard has a pinout for a speaker to be attached anyway. It might be a good investment to buy one separately and perhaps rush-ship it, if only so you can at least tell what's going on.

- Diosjenin -

5. death_munky

Hi guys,

thanks for your help, I've managed to get the PC spinning up using the screwdriver to bridge the pins method and i now seem to have a new problem.

I don't seem to be getting any signal from the PC, could this be the graphics card or something else as my PC hung itself up a couple of time before the problem with the switch?

6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Ensure the graphics card is seated properly, and the power plugs are in properly. If the power plugs aren't in right no image will come out at all (I'm fairly sure).
    Also, make sure the secondary motherboard power connection is plugged in (opposite side of the CPU socket to the RAM slots, near the I/O plate).

If that's all good and it still won't boot, I'd say get hold of a motherboard speaker like the one Diosjenin linked and tell us what the beeps are (or check the motherboard manual, it should have it in there).

death_munky likes this.
  7. death_munky

Many thanks pimonserry, I had managed to unplug the secondary four pin power supply. I can now get the rig up and running using a screwdriver to start up.

looks like i'm going to be performing my first mod to put a new power switch in!

Thanks to fathazza and Diosjenin for posting as well