1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards PC won't start (solved)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by benjjamin, 24 Jul 2011.

1. benjjamin

benjjamin needs MORE POWER!

So this afternoon on the net and it suddenly went off, and it was the cable at the back of the pc which had come out a bit(the clip has broken) so pushed it back in and the pc went off, so tryed turning back on again and all that happend was the cpu fan started and heard the hdd spin but there was no power light on or hdd led, so put in another psu, cleared cmos, tryed different ram, still doing excactly the same. then put original psu and ram back in and cleared cmos but removed battery and put back, then it started fine no problems, and was on about an hour or so, turned off to watch top gear and after that went to turn it back on and now doing the same again wont switch on no power light just cpu fan spinning.
    repeated last steps but still nothing.
    Any ideas please :confused:
    Spec:
    cpu: e1200
    board: cheap biostar
    graphics: onboard
    ram: corsair value 1gig

Last edited: 26 Jul 2011
  2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

What do you have as PSU ?

3. benjjamin

A small cheap one that came with midi case, model: cit-450 p4 450w.

4. TheBlackSwordsMan

try to unplug the unnecessary device (Fans, extra HDD etc etc) do a Clear Cmos if you have some overclock.

5. benjjamin

No overclock, all thats pluged in is primary hdd, dvd-rom, and case fan which plugs straight into molex connection but left that unpluged at the moment. thats all thats in the case.

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

have you any beep signal ? If yes, how many and short or long

7. benjjamin

It doesn't have a speaker built on board, so pluged in a spare speaker onto the headers, but no beeps what so ever.
    Just taken ram out and still doing the same and with no beep.
    All that happens is i push power button, cpu fan spins, hdd spins, and thats it, it will do that untill i turn it off, but i have to turn it off with switch on back of psu, wont turn off if i hold onto power button.

8. TheBlackSwordsMan

Have you noticed any burned capacitor on the board ? Something unusual ?

9. benjjamin

Iv'e just had a look now but i cant see anything like that. or somthing unusual. last night i took cmos battery out, moved the cmos jumper to clear and unpluged from mains over night to see if that made a differance but to no avail. tomorrow im going to take it out of case and and test/change everything i can to see if i can narrow down the problem.

10. TheBlackSwordsMan

it look like a dead board to me, but I hope I'm wrong. If really it's 'out of service' well i'm sure you'll find another one here for an unexpensive price or even free (sometime, the bittekers are generous)

11. benjjamin

lol, cheers and i do hope you are wrong, but tomorrow il find out kos im going to test/change everything i can, if to no avail im going to give my 3 year old son a screw driver and see if he can fix it. :)

12. benjjamin

It was a bloody screw that had got stuck behind the board :duh:, dont know how though as it was the top left hand corner screw that was missing so iv just taken board out to have a look and there it was, and now its working perfectly.
    but many thanks to blackswordman for the replys. :thumb: :clap: