1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC World profits slump

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Apr 2008.

1. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

You sir, must realise how it is that your company makes profit and why people would hate that (not necessarily you). While you may not be part of the problem, but it is a fact suggested by this article and indeed forum posts that people are no longer prepared to buy over priced and sometimes over adequate goods. People want a fair deal, I think it is sad that when a companies profit dips they can blame "deal driven consumers"... o sorry I thought, like you said on the tv that you gave us good deals? No of course you dont, ripping people off is how you make your money! You will forgive us if we "tar" you, but cancer like this shouldn't be part of our streets.

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Neillyb you may have an expertise in a area say for computers but do you know details of the range of freezers, or kitchen cookers and hobs? you sell. Currys (comet, maplins etc) put people in to sell about a product they may or may not know about, this is where the impression that the staff misinform and mislead the buyer. I used to work in pcworld whilst I was at uni and I used to think that I had a good knowledge of the products I sold but in reality there is no way I knew what was the best mapping software or the best camera in a certain price range etc, the range of equipment is too vast to know. There were people that knew about these, but they were few and far between and may not be in the store all the time when a query was raised, I had often seen people miss sold purchases do to the salesperson not having a clue; do you thing I would have lasted long ? if I told the customer that the saleman didn't know feck all.
    The training was more on how to sell the product on about the product, it may have changed since I worked there but I doubt the people at the top seem to care until the money stops coming in. The customer maybe less knowing on the product they want, but are more savvy on what is the best deal, just look at all the websites that have sprung up to help the public get the best car insurance, gas company etc.

3. Mo_

Mo_ Did this world come by chance?

FOR SURE :lol:

4. neillyb

neillyb What's a Dremel?

"You, sir?" I'm just working there part-time whilst at university mate, "my" company's prices has absolutely nothing to do with me.

They make their money from credit agreements (alcoholics paying £30 a month for 4 years for a 50" plasma TV they don't need) and product support.

Also, "cancer like this shouldn't be part of our streets." Are you serious? I think you're taking it a bit too far...

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Wow guys, I know they can be a bit pricey at times, well quite often actually.
    However, I have bought a few things from PC World when they have deal on and found the service to be more than adequate, that aside I know what I'm going in to buy before I get to the store in the first place.
    I have also found their RMA process to be great, just pop back in with faulty part and receive a replacement or refund right there and then.

I do agree that they tend to prey on the un-knowledgeable, but which high street electronic store doesn't (maybe Maplins is the exception here)

6. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

PC World should die! Tiny selction, MASSIVE prices, and hugely outdated technology!

Plus they cheat... Their website, ads, and marketing material claim the prices are the same in store as online (that "Online prices to take home" crap), but to get around this they change the model numbers just slightly so that they can charge more in the retail shops but advertise to the contrary.

I will NEVER buy anything from them again.

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Last time I was in the sales guys even checked the website to see if it was cheaper, and that was without me prompting him.
    I don't shop there often, but when I have they have been fine.

8. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

I find it's ok to go to pcworld, but only if:
    1. you know what you are looking for
    2. know what the price is elsewhere before going in.

I got a webcam from PCWorld, and on my mobile (running windows mobile, so full internet access) I checked the online prices of several places whilst I was in the store.
    It turned out that they (PCWorld) had the cheapest price online.
    I asked if I could have it at their online price (it was £10 cheaper) and showed their site open on my mobile.
    "sure, just show it to the person at the till"
    I did, and got the lower price.

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've bought several things from PC-World, Comet, Currys, et al, (monitor, scanner, soundcard, TV-card, fair bit of software) and at bargain prices. PCW currently have Creative T40 speakers at £67.84, below just about anybody else. They also sell cables, memory, and a few other things at OTT prices. If the customer isn't knowledgeable, don't blame the store. Their job is not to wipe your nose.

And if I suddenly run out of printer toner with an important job to do, nice to know there's a store half-an-hour away.

10. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I work for them.

And I agree, many of the people I work with are employed soley on their ability to sell stuff to unknowledgeable customers. While I can see the company needs to make a profit, some of the tactics used are just wrong.

I also agree wholheartedly that many of the staff know a bit about the basics of PC's and peripherals, but nothing like they should know. It looks bad when I have most of the sales people running to me all day with questions about specs, connections etc.

I try to give the customers a fair deal, matching the online price where possible, but at the same time keep my job (and a roof over my head).

If there were more people like the few of us that actually care about the customers needs, then it would be a good place to shop, until then, a lot of people will continue going home with a bad impression.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I was in PC World in Peterborough on Saturday and, after noticing a laptop there for £799 was the exact same one in John Lewis's in Queensgate, Peterborough that was only £699, I asked them to 'do their price promise' and knock 110% off, thus being cheaper still than John Lewis. No can do, as it's the last one in the shop and they don't know if they're ordering more in, seeing as it's near the end of their financial year and they've got to take it steady ordering stock. I noticed on closing the lid of the laptop that it was marked ex-display!

So, it's little wonder their profits are down when they actively don't sell you stuff.

Tags: Add Tags