1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PCI-Express 3.0 explained

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 27 Nov 2010.

1. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

By the time PCI-E 3.0 become necessary, Light Peak will probably have taken over, unless 4k monitors suddenly appear at bargain prices!

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

PCI-E 1.0 at x16 mode or PCI-E 2.0 at x8 is probably still more than adequate for today's high end cards.

It would be nice to run on PCI-E 3.0 at x4 mode though and still get top performance. :)

3. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

PCI-Ex 3.0, USB 3 & SATA 3 - sounds like a spiffingly good time to upgrade

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Except that one isn't available yet and another has already been overtaken :D

5. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

in respect to the new hardware, are we coming any where near saturating the old hardware? Will this be a must have upgrade when NVidia/Ati release yet another family of cards? Are we upgrading just because "its new!?"

On that thought, is there a piece of hardware gpu or not that actually saturates a pci-e 2 port?

6. Lockon Stratos

not to mention the fact that Sata 3 (6GB/s) is more a gimmick and only useful if you use with a SSD or 15k RPM hard drive. since hard drives dont even max out the sata 2 bandwidth.

7. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

yeah, with all the top games being out on consoles as well, I see no reason to upgrade until the next ones are out, which does not look like is going to happen for a few years.

I'm using a P45 board with a E8200, and a GTX280 - it does everything at max on my 22in monitor.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is true on both accounts, but you'd be seriously pissed off if you bought a brand new graphics card on PCI-E 2 (or 1.1) for that matter and couldn't use all the power it provided due to PCI-E bottleneck.

Remember you still need the card AND the motherboard to have the same PCI-E standard for it to work: even if you bought a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard and dropped in a 2.0 card, it will only run at 2.0 settings.

Also, like I said, it'll better benefit PCI-E 8x and even 4x slots for multi-GPU and other cards like RAID/Future 10G Ethernet etc ;)

9. Cthippo

Isn't 10 Gbs over copper already in use for enterprise networks? :eyebrow:

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I think SSDs have gone a little past the "Gimmick" stage don't you think?

11. TomH

TomH And like that... he was gone.

Yes, 40Gbit and 100Gbit Ethernet are now 'available', too.

And if you go back a bit further, Infiniband (which is similar to PCI Express in a few ways) has been possible at 48Gbit/sec over copper cabling long before the latest Ethernet standards were ratified. It's used for RDMA in high-performance clusters, mostly, so the pricing is/was mostly astronomical, however.

But this is a moot point, as you're mixing units: 10Gbit/sec is only 1.25GByte/sec, less than a single PCI-Express 1.1 lane.

12. Lockon Stratos

was refering to Sata 3.0 - Its only useful **IF** you have a SSD - SSD's are not a gimmick at all as they are Genuinely useful and they can max out or at least help max out the SATA 3 Bandwidth which slow 7200-15000RPM drives cant.

please try to understand my comments before replying - it helps

13. Cthippo

Exactly.

10 Gbs cards such as Bindi was talking about are already here, have been for a while, and don't need the bandwidth. I was looking at them on ebay last night (just to make sure they actually do exist :worried: ) and a lot of them are still PCIx rather than PCIe.

Given that no one is making PCIe 3.0 boards yet it probably doesn't matter too much that no one is making the cards to use all that bandwidth. The standards are out there and when the need arises...

RE: SSDs, only a very few of the current generation drives use the 6 GBs interface anyway, so it's still a very small part of the market.

14. Lockon Stratos

6GB/s sata 3 is still fairly new - and since SSD drives have gained a huge popularity within a very short period of time it wont be long before manufacturers switch from using a Sata 2 controller to a sata 3 controller chip on their cards since sata 3 is already a standard feature on most motherboards. but from my research and lurking around there are some teething issues with the new sata 3 controller chip. which makes its performance unstable and in many tests slower then more refined Sata 2 SSDs like the Intel X-25. Prices for SSDs are still fairly expensive even though they have dropped in price a lot. but are still seen more as a luxury item then something they MUST have. not everyone can afford SSD's and until everyone can then manufacturers can take their time producing something better/faster

15. Hakuren

Hakuren New Member

[H]OCP did that. In essence modern VGAs filling only x4 bandwidth (and maybe a tiny bit more). But with SLI configuration there was only 1 games from tested (IIRC Alien vs Predator) which "reported" some issues. You can run current conf 2/3/4 SLI at x8 just fine for a few more years. I did testing myself. Old 8800 GTS in, electrically, x4 slot running (e.g.) X3 at 2048x1152 just as smooth as it does when plugged into x16 slot (all settings maxed out).

For now probably the only thing (excluding industrial solutions) which do require at least x8 (Gen 2.0) slot to work efficiently at full power is RAID0/10 array with 16+ SSDs for mind blowing transfers (of course disks working with some real controller like Arecas 1880 family, not some fake soft-RAID). Other than that right now, x16 PCI-Ex is just slogan not a necessity.

Maybe, just maybe, that dual GTX580 [GTX-whatever-probably-590-or-595] card will be better off with x16 than with x8.

Tags: Add Tags