1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PCIe 4.0 with 16 gigatransfers per second in 2014-15

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lxrysprtmscl, 30 Nov 2011.

1. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

source PCWorld

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Considering we're barely anywhere near saturating a PCIe 2.0 link at the moment; Planning for 4.0 to be four times as fast is just overkill. Give us motherboards that can handle multiple 16x links instead, rather than falling over and chopping back to 8x if you go above two cards.

Although that kind of speed would be very, very fun to run a PCIe 4.0 based Revodrive off. Up to 8GB/s reads, anyone?

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'll take 2 please...lol

4. Shichibukai

Shichibukai Resident Nitpicker

Fixed.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Since it's designed to be twice as fast as PCIe 3.0 you can have an 8x PCIe 4.0 slot which performs the same as a 16x PCI 3.0 slot. Controllers won't need to be designed to handle as many lanes and motherboard manufacturers won't need to design around the physical connections of the extra lanes. It's a win/win.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Only if you are assuming that GPU don't get faster over the years until PCI-E 4.0 gets wide spread, and the GPU actually takes advantage of it.

7. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Would've thought that something that's gunna be power hungry won't really be welcome on anything portable? And yeh, we've barely saturated, well, I'd go as far as to say PCI-E 3, not so sure about 4.

Probably another number that people remeber when they buy their new smartphone as flashy...ignorant fools! :D

Edit : Reading some more, same power, backwards compat, same hardware even...seems unreal...price? :p:O

Last edited: 1 Dec 2011
  8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

We don't even have PCI-E 3.0 cards yet.. LOL

I agree with Bindi.. more 16X lanes would be better. If I so much as put a sound card in a 1x slot one of my cards defaults to 8x. That sucks. Even that doesn't really effect performance though, which shows you how pointless 4.0 is right now.

9. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker Minimodder

The keynote seems to highlight the mobile market as the main target though. Having a PCIe x1 gen 4 link would give 16gbps of throughput while consuming far less physical board space (at a premium in such devices).
    Alternatively, it opens up the options for switching/ bridge chips on current gen. equipment. A processor with only 16 gen 4 lanes can be connected to an appropriate switch chip to provide 4 x16 gen 2 lanes for 4 graphics accelerators and/or devices.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

ah ok.
    cool, thanks

11. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

in conclusion ....is that good or bad < scratches head> lol .. ? I assume its good huh ?
    if not .. oh thats dreadful .. (please delete as applicable, or I will re read when not so tired)