1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PCWorld Own-Brand Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kristianlee, 20 Dec 2009.

1. kristianlee

kristianlee New Member

Hi all,

Looking at getting a new Tb Hard drive, because mine looks like it's on its way out. Seen the 'TechGuys' branded one on PCWorld's website that I can get hold of today.

Does anyone know what the hard-drive 'actually' is? I assume it'll be a rebrand of something else?

The link to the product page is http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...jcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Accessory&sku=688252

Product code 688252 if direct linking doesn't work.

Cheers

Kristian

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

No idea.... that will only be a stock shot anyway, and will bare no resemblance to what you get. Why even bother though?

Scan do the Samsung Spinpoint F3 for the same price.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1TB-...3-SATA-3Gb-s-7200rpm-32MB-Cache-89-ms-NCQ-OEM

It may end up a tenner more with delivery, but at least you know you have a good drive.

£65 is not cheap.. it's the average price.... so why even bother with the PC World one?

You could always go down to your local PC World store and have a look though. For all we know it may be a Spinpoint F3, or a Caviar Black... or any other decent drive. If that's not possible... just get what you really want from elsewhere.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2009
  3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Yeah I would go for the F3 and try get it from somewhere that offers free delivery. Scan offers free delivery if you have over ten posts in another forum. Google scan forums :D

4. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I wouldn't buy one from there. Most of the time they're not sealed and I've seen a fair few just laying around on the shelves out of their boxes. Go with the others and get the F3, or something equivilent. Those PCW drives are basically the same as the ones you get in Advent/eMachines PCs, and we all know how those perform. I used to cringe everytime I sold one.

5. kristianlee

kristianlee New Member

See normaly I'd agree with you all, but time is a factor here and with xmas coming and the weather at the moment I doubt I'd get the drive certainly before xmas.

The current drive is in a failing NAS enclosure, and I'm not sure how long I'll have access to that data. The NAS is being RMA'd but I need somewhere to put the data in the mean-time, and none of my existing hard drives have enough room free (650gb) to backup all the data.

Thanks for all the responses though; stuartwood's insight is particularly helpful.

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD New Member

Buy something from PC World? You sir, have sunk very low indeed.

7. kristianlee

kristianlee New Member

I've actually had a bit of a look into the specific issue I'm having; apparently there's a known issue with Icybox NAS and Samsung drives, there's a firmware update out there so fingers crossed that'll sort it out.

8. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser New Member

scan use city link for delivery, and its usually next day.. so you could be getting it tuesday if you order early enough :thumb:

edit: +1 to the F3 drive

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

That's AVForums you get free post with scan but only after 20 post and it has to be £75 and over to get freepost