1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pda's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by f U z ! o N, 25 Aug 2005.

1. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

whats a good PDA to buy? hp, dell?
    im looking at a $400 budget
    i want to write software for it and use it in college.

lots of ram, good battery, cf/sd slots for expansion, blah blah

whats the best one in your opinon?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Linkeh

For your $400, you could get the Dell Axim x50v which looks absolutely divine.

You could go for a cheaper model, either Dell, HP, Acer, etc and get a satnav kit for it. I have an Axim x30 with TomTom5 and they work very well as a navigational aid.

3. f U z ! o N

what all can you use them for? would it be a wise decison to buy one?

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

If you want to program for them, then definalty go with a Windows CE model. I would look at the Dell models, I think they are good priced for there options and build quality. The model kenco_uk suggested looks very good.

Its got a stunning 600mhz processor!

I think the dells are a smart-buy, as you get alot for your money. They can be a bit bulky though.

Well, I don't think alot of people really "need" a PDA. Its just a cool gadget. If you want to spend the money (etc. don't need it for more important things), then go for it. You gotta make up your mind if you want to spend 400$ on it.

Good luck,
    L

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Okay, I'm a little behind on the PDA tech bandwagon (I bought a Palm m125 a while back for £35 inc cradle). For someone like me with a poor memory a PDA is a god send, it reminds me when everyones birthdays are, which anniversaries I MUST NOT FORGET, I can keep track of all the project work I've got to do, the balance of my 5 accounts and what expenses I've got coming up, the promises that I've made to friends, etc It may be monochrome but even with the basic software its proved a life saver. I've got to say though, whats the point in getting a brand new colour PDA over the old monochrome? The software is speedy and does everything I want, most of it is shareware or free, my batteries last 4 weeks (and I'm using rechargables!). The USB cradle gives me easy connectivity, the only thing it doesn't have is the 'bling' factor. My advice would be to get a cheap PDA and a decent laptop, laptops can provide you with functionality beyond that of a PDA but are just not as portable. Your laptop could provide mobile office functions with excel, word etc and your PDA can function as your mini organiser which will be useful in situations where you don't have time to fire up your laptop, or quickly whip it out to make notes. If you're spending $400 then this is the sort of combo you should look at.

6. f U z ! o N

see i wanted an mp3 player too so i was like heck, why not just get a pda so i can have a computer and a music player all in one for a bit more
    a creatice zen xtra is like 230 while a pda is 400
    so for like 170 more i get a computer too!

7. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Uhhh Dell x50v, great device + 1gig SD ($50 newegg) + additional battery if required So it's more than $400 bucks, but if you have Wifi in college/home then it's great. Or you can get x50 with smaller card.