1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"PellenorFields" Lord of the Rings case upd 29/6/04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by borumas, 22 Sep 2003.

1. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Hey guys I've been checking out some of the cool stuff around here but have only now just registered and decided to post some pics of my current project. I'm a big fan of J. R. R. Tolkien's works and the Peter Jackson movies as well so I decided to theme my project to reflect that. Here are some pics of the progress:

Old mod was crap and ghetto so I stripped it down and cutout the top window and recut the side window
    [​IMG]

The first part completed was the top piece of the case with a nice etched window and LED fan (I did all the etches myself with a Dremel tool)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next came the side window, I etched a Rohan warrior onto it with some Celtic knotwork in the corners
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I added an old Netgear hub that wasn't being used into the case and sleeved the PSU cables
    [​IMG]

I saw a guy in another forum used some mirrored plexi to hide his drives and several other unsitely items so I thought I would do something similar but with painted and etched panels, the etches show through the paint nicely in the light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was the front bezel which I wanted to cut out some more Celtic knotwork and add some Dwarven runes to the sides, and here is the progress on that
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will put a 10LED HDD voltmeter in the bezel, a homemade Vandal type power switch, and I will have the CD drive stealthed with the eject and LED in the bezel itself on either side of it.

I also added some handles to the sidepanels for easier opening of them
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any comments you may give, this has been a long running project and is slowly coming to a finish. Also I'd like to apologize for the image quality, I don't have a digi cam so I've had to take pics and scan them so in some images it looks like the finish is scuffed up but it really isn't.

EDIT: I changed the name of the thread cause I don't think most people know what Pellenor Feilds is, so now they can have an idea that it is a LOTR themed case (and some may not know what LOTR stands for, LOL).

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  2. Falkram

Falkram What's a Dremel?

wow...that is quite some work with a dremel...i personally love lotr...and i have to say...that case is simply awesome...

good work

3. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

holy ****... :jawdrop: great dremel work I wish I was that patient.

4. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, I like to do the etches as to me it is pretty fun seeing the results and I usually do a pencil drawing of what I want and then use it to trace the image on the Lexan to be etched in place. Today I cut out 2 of the 5 1/4" faceplates, one for the future rheobus and one for the stealthed CD drive and I will be etching and painting them as well so it should look pretty sharp.

I also plan to put a 2x20 character LCD in with a blue background to go with the color theme.

5. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

borumas, you have to light up the window with an LED from the side. That will make the etch glow! (Like the dude in my avatar)

Not a fan of LOTR myself, but the case is pretty neat!

6. lv_dicedealer

lv_dicedealer What's a Dremel?

Go for the edge lighting of the windows!
    Nice etchings, how much time so far?

7. Theo

Theo What's a Dremel?

Cooler than my feet right now! :brrr:

Great dremelwork, chap. Very impressive :eeek:

8. (Ck)Vegeta

(Ck)Vegeta What's a Dremel?

The Mod is Coming out Nice. The Bezel is really Nice. Good Luck & Good Job

9. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

I drool with envy......

That is some reslly nice work there. Especially the work on the front of the case, real nice...

Only one thing, can't see from your other pics but the antec sticker stands out too much behind your grill. The one in your top window. Colour it in black or something.

Yeah deffintly put some cool lighting in there, really make those etches stand out....

Keep up the good work.... :D :D :D

10. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

way to make a first post! :rock: :thumb: :dremel: :clap:

thats some seriously great dremel work.
    Wanna teach me?? :p

11. flacowboy

flacowboy What's a Dremel?

wow that is some awsome art work doign a greatjob cant wiat to see it lit up

12. jpb

jpb What's a Dremel?

Excellent dremel work! :eeek:

13. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

yaaa...thats what iw as thinkin...that case is nice..i like how it turned out. Ur pretty handy with a dremel man...how thick was the plexi that u used ? cuz i know one slip and u probably woulda went right through it...i like it man... :thumb:

14. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Wow, nice response so far, thanks all for the great comments. The Plexi used was about 5mm thick or around 3 times the thickness of a CD jewel case so it is pretty sturdy, I prefer to work with Lexan as it does not crack when cut like the other stuff and is easier to work with. I'll be doing some more :dremel: soon so stayed tuned for some possible updates in the future. :D

15. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

That etching work is awesome! You should definetly be proud of your hand work! Fantastic stuff there! :rock: :rock: :rock:

16. :Galokin:

:Galokin: Guest

blimey!

im speechless...that is one kiss ass case mod!

well freakin' done! :thumb:

17. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

I've been working on this off and on for probably 9 months or so, but there have been periods of inactivity for weeks at a time (have to spend time with the family here and there so my girl won't leave me ;), and also I work on my main rig from time to time).

Thanks, yeah I'm going to have to do that before it is done.

:D Well maybe when I eventually get a nice digi cam I'll make a window etching guide but there already are some pretty decent guides out there for it already.

You guys :rock:, Stelly told my that my project was more of a Bit- Tech style mod and that I should post it here and I must say I'm more than flattered by the great response I have recieved, thank you all for the cool and incouraging comments.

18. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

The Antec sticker looks also out of your theme to me.
    I wouldn't put a voltmeter; for me it would also look out of place surrounded by runes, dragons and old warrior etchings and detract from the atmosphere you are creating.

19. rodaniel

rodaniel What's a Dremel?

Excellent Celtic knotwork designs, Borumas! And I like how shiney the interior is too!

20. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'll probably rip that sticker off or use a black marker to blot it out.

Well the holes have already been made and the electronics for the meter have been purchased, I don't think it will detract from the theme too much but I guess only seeing it in action will tell the tale.

Thanks, being of almost all Celtic descent (Irish on both sides of the family) has pretty much been the reason for my interest in that kind of artwork and I find it very beautiful to look at. I also have 2 Celtic tattoos on my right arm. ;)

Well today I soldered the wires for the reset switch and glued the plexi disc that will be the button for the "Vandal" type switch I'm making.

PS thanks again all for the kind words :)