1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Peltier cooling an X2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greensabbath, 22 Jan 2006.

1. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I'm in the design stages of mey second case and i've upgraded it to watercooling from the aircooling i used before. I also noticed that this isn't that far off from including a pletier in the bunch and as i like to make things more complicated, a peltier might be a lot of fun.

I was wondering if a peltier would be worth the risk, expense, if i'm getting something like an AMD X2 processor.

I'm also using a Black Ice Extreme III rad, the D5 pump, and 1/2 ID tubing so far with probly danger den water blocks for the cpu and gpu and probably a simple homemade HDD block too.

Thanks

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you have to ask, then probably, no.

3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

What if i didn't have to ask but only preferred to so i could get some feedback and expertise from the nice and ever so helpful bit-tech community?

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

What block/pelt/PSU are you planning on using?

Tbh though as Nexxo said, if you have to ask then the answer is probably don't bother ;)

5. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

well that's all to be decided, i'd lean towards the higher power/performance side though if i do it at all

6. Nexxo

OK, you're right, let me expand a bit on that answer.

Pelt cooling an X2 has the same pros and cons as pelt cooling any other CPU. It allows you to run the CPU much cooler than other forms of cooling, thus allowing you to overclock the CPU further. There is no other reason whatsoever why you'd want to pelt cool a CPU. Whether your CPU runs at 40C, or 5C, unless you are planning to push it to the limit, there is no difference except bragging rights and a shedload of technical complications for your trouble.

So the question you are really asking is: "How far will Pelt cooling allow me to push an X2?". Now reviews tell us that the AMD X2 series are exceedingly overclockable, and that the real limits imposed are not on the CPU, but on the motherboard (and other components), which hits limits long before the CPU starts to sweat. Therefore slapping bigger and better cooling on the CPU isn't really going to get you anywhere. The obstacles appear to lie elsewhere and have little to do with temperature, but more with signal/noise ratiod and frequency limits of the motherboard (so better cooling doesn't help much there, either).

In short, you were asking the wrong question, otherwise you'd already know the answer (or at least know how to find it). This tells me (perhaps wrongly) that you haven't really thoroughly considered how Pelt cooling functions. It is important to do so before you start, however, because it is an expensive and complicated affair. Personally, with all my experience I don't touch it. It's not worth the expense and trouble to get those extra few frames, considering that in 3 months time you can simply buy a faster CPU.

The reason for my somewhat curt reply earlier (for which I apologise) is that people sometimes ask a rather vague question and expect a consise yet detailed and easy to understand yet thorough answer, on what is a rather complicated topic. The short answer, in those cases, invariably is: "If you have to ask, don't do it". ;)

Last edited: 22 Jan 2006
  7. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

With the right peltier it`s possible :D . That pelt would certainly use a lot of ampere. Don`t do it is my advice.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2006
  8. Nexxo

That is not true. The right Pelt can handle anything up to and beyond a P4 which clocks in at 134 Watts. A Dual core only generates 110 Watts.

9. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks, that helps a bunch, i think i'll just pour more money into better components (vidcard, memory, mobo) instead of doing the extra bit of cooling

Tags: