1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pentium turns 14 today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Mar 2007.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

My first Pentium was a P75, the Turbo was the best thing invented in the world eva

I remember pressing it and seeing the numbers on the front of the PC go from 75 to 100

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I remember when i ordered my new £1700 Gateway2000 PC!
    17inch screen was unheard of in homes at the time, as was the 166MMX! also the 32mb of ram helped. the 2.5Gig HDD was spacious and the ATi Rage Gfx with 2mb ram was very powerfull...Ohh don't forget the 54x CD-ROM!

I remember that the CPU was passively cooled and the motherboard was quite baron compared to modern PC's. I remember adding a VooDoo2 card to the setup and my eyes lit up, and getting a 4X CD-RW was marvelous.

Ahhh good times.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Happy Birthday Pentium! What awesome times we've had together. :)

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Crikey, I remember my first PC, an AMD K6/2-400. What a brute. Many headaches.

Then I upgraded to a P3-450 which was so amazing, it blew the wallpaper off. It was stable as a horses home and the best thing was it ran at 558Mhz.

Then I went for a P3-700, seeing a lot of them running at 1GHz or over. Sadly, mine could only muster 819Mhz iirc, so I though buggrit and got a P3-933 and ran it just over the 1Ghz mark. Aah, them were the days.

T'ra Pentium and thanks for all the chips.

6. quack

quack New Member

That's Pentium 4 not IV.

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

A Pentium II was the first PC I ever got to call my own, and clocking it from 200 to 350 seemed like theft it was so fast. Slot 1 ***.

8. riggs

riggs ^_^

HB Pentium!

Our household never had Intel CPU's when I was a kid - my dad was always 'against' the bigger companies, choosing to support the the underdogs instead, even if the tech wasn't as good. He went for an AMD K5 rather than a Pentium (and numerous Cyrix CPU's before that)...

OT, what ever happened to Cyrix?

9. Nature

Nature Member

God bless the pentiumlll and this computer upon which it runs. With out it, I'd not be able to type hatred at all you nerds here @ bit-tech.
    -Love Nature

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

My parents first ever PC was a very early pentium...

Anyway, do you think we could ever see a Pentium 5?

11. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

I still think it was a bad idea to drop the pentium name. Ask anyone on the street if they want a 3.6 Ghz pentium 4 or a 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo. "Well, duh, I want a Pentium 4. What the heck is a Core-too-too?" The pentium had so much brand recognition. I think if Intel had come out with commercials for the 'Brand New Pentium 5!!!' there would have been a stampede to get one. But only computer enthusiasts yet understand what a C2D is and sales this past year were uninspiring despite the huge leap forward the core architecture brought.

And now they are going to call the bargain bin procs pentium's, correct? Sad. What a sudden and unkind death.

12. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

My first PC was a P200 MMX, 32MB of ram, a 4MB S3 Virge, 3.2GB HDD and a 33.6kbps modem, purchased back in I think 1997. How everyone envied me back then, even more so when I later upgraded it to a 16MB Voodoo Banshee. Ahh the good old days.
    The scary thing being, that the very same PC was passed onto several other family members and friends who just wanted to use MS word and it only blew up last year, the PSU went pop.

13. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove New Member

Think my first pentium was actually a pentium overdrive ~80MHz. I just remember putting it in my machine and feeling ripped off, as there was no performance gain what so ever (probably upgraded from a 486 66MHz).

Anyway the best ever rig I have had was a good old Dual PIII 933MHz beast. That thing still played along when everyone else went into the multiple GHz. Alas I had to "retire" that machine when I moved in with my girlfriend.

Happy birthday Pentium, RIP

14. bluep3ace

bluep3ace New Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUDE!!!
    :D

15. Darkedge

Darkedge New Member

only ever had a Pentium 166MMX and a Pentium II 300.. never liked intel, and only returned to them with my new 6300 core 2 duo.

Not the first pc's I had I have to admit - that was a 4.66 mhz 8086, then a 386SX33, DX4 100 then the 166 and 300, then to AMD for a k6-2 450, 1ghz Athlon, 2.4 ghz Athlon, FX53 and now the core 2 duo.

It's been a while using the old '86 architecture :)

16. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

ahh Pentium.. I remember my first Pentium 133mhz machine.. those were the days ..Happy Birthday!

17. {SmileyMan}

{SmileyMan} New Member

Never owned a Pentium Always been a AMD fan till the core (Got a CoreDuo Lappy)

But first computer was a 8088 running at 4.77mhz with 640k of RAM

What a machine :p

18. Miser

Miser New Member

Not really, the bargain bins will still be Celerons: Single-core, Core architecture, and 512k L2. They will come in at a price of $40, $50, and $60. They will be based on the partially defective (I believe) Pentium E series CPUs: Dual-core, Core architecture, 1mb L2 cache. I think that the Pentium E series will be a great seller. Imagin the boost most OEM consumers will see when their virus-scanner works in the background while they surf the web. The majority of people out there don't need any great power per core, as long as they get the snappiness while they have a couple of piddly things open. And the Celerons will be great in libraries, schools, businesses, and low end OEM pcs.

As for my first Pentium PC, it was a P100 with 32mb RAM, 1mb integrated Cirrus Logic graphics, and a 1,282mb Seagate HDD. My mom had a 386, but that was before my time. Anyway, I upgraded the CPU to a Pentium MMX OverDrive 180 (3x multiplier, meant for a 60mhz bus; I put it in a 66mhz bus, so I have an overclocked OverDrive! :rock: ), upgraded the RAM to 128mb of 60ns FPM, upgraded the integrated graphics to 2mb with two SOJ ram chips, and changed the hard drive to a 512mb compact flash drive. I have a raid card, and am currently modding the case to house everything as a fileserver. :clap:

Last edited: 22 Mar 2007
  19. moshpit

moshpit New Member

I'm sad to see the Pentium name go for a completely different reason then most of you. The Pentium name has provided me with YEARS of fun poking holes in Intel strategies. Now that they've retaken the crown with a new name, and earned top honors with C2D, I can't pick on Intel anymore fairly. Everything after the original Pentium series, wasn't even properly named. Pentium Pro and Pentium II Should have been called Sextium had Intel stuck to the original naming scheme they made with Pentium (of course they wern't thinking that far ahead when they came up with that name I bet) and should have called Pentium III to Sextium III since Pentium II could have been Sextium II, that would have been so much "sexier" ;)

Pentium 4 should have been called Seventium (okay, that was a joke, hehehe).

20. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

still got a pentium 1 75hz in one of my laptops! lol it rocks out windows 95 everynow and again!

Tags: Add Tags