1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL People who should never build a PC

Discussion in 'General' started by chrismarkham1982, 14 Jun 2013.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Don't worry, I know you were. I just thought I'd take the chance to explain my point in a little more detail. :thumb:

Now fetch me a Volkswagen! :D

2. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

In Führer-brown with Schäferhund interiour?

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Oh dear god yes. :D

4. gavbon

gavbon Extreme Overclocker/PC Anarchist

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Man nearly 13 years since 2000 and PEOPLE STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND POWER SUPPLIES?

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm not sure which direction you mean that in, or which of the two bits of oft-forgotten information you're referring to. There are two basic facts about power supplies that matter:

1. You don't need a really huge one for most PCs; components draw a lot less than people think. The average rig probably draws less than 400W on full load these days.

2. But PSUs are way more efficient and longer-lasting at 50-70% load, rather than being run flat-out.

I seem to remember the sweet spot being mentioned as 75% load, or something? But with the dawn of Sandy and Ivy Bridge, nobody should be needing more than a 600W really, unless they're going multi-GPU.

Sources: my overclocked E8400 and two HD 4870s ran for years on a 550W PSU. Said PSU survived untarnished and is now powering my new build without a hitch. My new build is i3-3220 based and draws literally about half as much as my old one.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sage words. I've got a 500W Coolermaster Silent M powering my 4.6Ghz 2500K and a hugely OC'd GTX 670 + 4x 2.5" HDs, 6 fans, a pump and my MCubed T balancer. Stable as a rock.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

550W Antec TriCool, 2500K and GTX670.

I'm pointing out the fact that people seem to settle on low quality (not high wattage) power supplies. While most of them are acceptable, It's a bit daft to have what is basically the heart of your computer be the cheapest bit.

I have seen far too many Logysis PSUs in my life in other people's builds for my comfort. Some survive. Many don't.

Sorry for the lack of clarification.

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

1000W Silverstone Strider. Because I want this thing to laugh at anything I can throw at it, even an release-level FX chip with all the silicon leakage it may have.

Also because the 500W load figure that my machine should be around is right where this thing hits 93% Gold efficiency, too, so it's less money on power later.

I need to get a power meter to see just how much this thing is actually pulling, I'm just going off rough guesses at the moment.

That said; I'm pretty sure some cheap piece of junk PSU is what blew my original Athlon 64 x2 6000+ to hell, along with the Asus M3N72-TD motherboard it was plugged into. Memory and drives survived, however. The 500GB is still in my machine to this day!

10. Dae314

Dae314 New Member

And that's exactly why I have my guide ^^. Because all the people telling you what to buy don't usually bother justifying why they said what to buy and ameture builders will tend to just take their word since they don't know any better. Honestly, the build isn't that terrible, although I'd never recommend someone follow it exactly. It gives you sorta a feel for what you can get for your money at the very least.