1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Perfume pricing mystery

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 20 Dec 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This is a gift wrapped 100ml bottle of Chanel No 5
    [​IMG]

This cost £105 pounds.
    Now for £52 I could have bought a 35ml bottle.
    Pay £74 and for a further £18 I could have bourght a 50ml bottle of perfume and for an extra £29 I get an extra 50ml. It defies logic and the young girl who served me was not in the least bit helpful when I asked why perfume pricing was so odd except to say the all do it.

So looking for enlightenment.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Your numbers are confusing me :D

But I think you're saying that 100ml = £105, 50ml = £74 and 35ml = £52. If so, the cost per litre is £1,050, £1,480 and £1,485.71 respectively.

In which case, it's not exactly defying logic to suggest that buying items in bulk volume tends to be cheaper per unit bought. It's almost as if there's some sort of relatively fixed cost involved in packaging, transportation and so forth... This tends to be the case for pretty much everything, from fizzy drinks to perfume.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That's exactly it. Buy more means you pay less per ml. That's some expensive perfume. You should try Amazon next time. ;)

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Amazon are more expensive.
    Ah but the bottles are bigger, more glass, more packaging.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, don't use it all at once then!

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

We can't assume linear scaling between the dimensions of the packaging and the quantity of the content.
    Due to that we also can't assume linear scaling between quantity of content and how many units fit on a pallet, how many units fit in their warehouse and so on.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Reading this made my eyes bleed.:grin::grin::grin:

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Containers follow the square–cube law so as a shape grows in size its volume grows faster than its surface area, in effect you're using less materiel to contain more.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Wish I had never started this thread now.:oldconfused::oldconfused::oldconfused:

MLyons likes this.
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'll try to explain it differently:
    If they can fit lets say 500 bottles of 100ml each in the space available for the product they can't necessarily fit 1000 bottles of 50ml each in the same space.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Hey it's better than talking about Brexit or how awful Chanel No 5 smells. o_O

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I have a good excuse for never buying my wife perfume, expensive or otherwise. I seem to have an allergy to one or more of the common ingredients, leading to sneezing and streaming eyes if I get a whiff of any.

MLyons likes this.
  13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Surely this is subjective, the good lady likes it which is all that matters?

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yes entirely and having read what i said back i didn't mean it to come across like that, sorry. :oops:

I should have said that I personally don't like the smell, and that I've never understood why perfumes/aftershaves are scented the way they are, like you say your good lady likes the smell as do lots of women but I've never understood that part of it, isn't a scent meant to attract or be like by the opposite sex?

In theory us men should be wearing something like Chanel No 5 as women like that smell and women should be wearing something like Dior's Sauvage.

MLyons likes this.
  15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Give it a try and report back :hehe:

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Women seem to like dresses also so maybe I'll go the whole hog. ;)

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Went to an all boys school that had female roles in plays. It’s an interesting sight :lol:

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Apply the same logic as you do when you buy pizza, proportionately your cost per slice ratio is ALWAYS better the larger the pizza.

[​IMG]

Chairboy likes this.