1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: Ford Mustang Shelby GT500)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I do wonder about the mental health of the designers of these kits sometimes.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Grr. Two identical pieces missing that have halted progress, so close to the end.

[​IMG]

Two small orders made, luckily there are two UK sellers who both have the one piece left I need - it was last made in 2013...

Do elaborate - I'm curious!

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well, just looking at the construction of the arse-end of the Y-Wing (as the most recent example) I feel like to have designed it, you must have some serious depth of knowledge about Lego pieces. And with you saying here that two pieces from 2013 are needed, it strikes me that the designers for these kits must eat, sleep, and breathe Lego pieces to have designed them into a kit.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

@liratheal Ah, I see your point!

So the short answer is yes, they do eat sleep and breathe Lego. Whilst I'm thankful to them for providing the instructions, if you look up a few Lego MOC videos that talk to the designers, my takeaway is that outside their job, for most of them, Lego is all they do! Certainly I aim to have a few extra hobbies, as variety is the spice of life, as they say.

Still, at least they're not out on the streets causing trouble, I suppose...

Last edited: 24 Apr 2021
    liratheal likes this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Mjolnir complete!

[​IMG]

To be perfectly honest, not a very good MOC. Whilst visually it's fine, it has very little structural integrity - the main reason it's upside down is that the handle is only held on by four studs and this is about the only way it'll stay together, unless it's inverted and something is made to hold the handle in place.

Oh well, it looks good enough and if I find time on my hands, maybe I'll set about doing my own design.

IanW, LennyRhys and modd1uk like this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Stormtrooper Blaster complete!

[​IMG]

The final missing parts for the Y-Wing have turned up, so that'll be completed very soon.

Last edited: 1 May 2021
    LennyRhys and IanW like this.
  7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What an awesome thread, some really incredible kits! I've just put the finishing touches on the Space Shuttle kit and I'm very impressed indeed, but they can't hold a candle to some of these MOCs.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

At last...Y-Wing complete!

[​IMG]

A little funny story to go with it: the last piece to be placed (a 1x2 sand blue tile) had mysteriously gone missing. Despite having a good look around for it, no luck. I did have a 1x2 sand blue plate that would've sufficed, but if you're going to do something properly, do it 100%. So, I used it as an excuse to order a few esoteric parts for other projects. Lo and behold, this morning, when walking around, I felt something underfoot, and there the part was! Oh well, at least other projects are a little closer to completion.

This also means that the original trilogy starfighter collection is complete!

[​IMG]

Now, do I finish off the Shelby, or have a go at completing one or two mini projects over the weekend?

Arboreal, MadGinga and IanW like this.