1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Hot damn! Just what I was after :thumb:

edit:

ok that website was handy in more ways then one, there was one kit that defeated me as a kid and that was 8865, the test car. I always said to myself that one of the days I'd like to try again at it but it had some unique piston heads for its engine that were long gone.

that site only had 10 of them in stock /yoink

Last edited: 30 Jan 2021
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Disaster (sort of) strikes!

I'm missing parts for both the X and Y-Wings. Annoyingly two parts (left and right minifig grey arms) for the Y-Wing aren't available in the UK (seriously?!), so I've made an order from the Netherlands - I snuck on some parts for potential future builds...

The parts for the Stormtrooper Blaster have all arrived, including a delivery from Slovenia for a rare black wheel hub part from 2006. The store had 4 used ones which were only ~50p each but are actually in mint condition. I snuck on a Lando Calrissian minifig to that order too, as he was one of the few missing from my growing Star Wars collection.

In the meantime, I've built the Mustang's engine with the chrome parts I ordered at the beginning of the year:

[​IMG]

I've always thought that muscle cars should have a big eff off supercharger - it's one of my dreams to own an old skool American machine with one someday. I'd blatt it around, drifting all over the place because no traction control. At some point I'm going to have to figure out how to modify the hood so the supercharger can fit through it.

I'll start on the front axle tomorrow...

MadGinga likes this.
  3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

time for another classic. The only set to ever beat me (I was 6 at the time)

32 years later.

[​IMG]

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Fantastic! I remember seeing this when I was 6-7. Never had it as a set, though would love to build it one day. Obviously a new set is out of the question as I'm pretty sure there are no new sets (excluding the one that will be stored in Lego's old set vault) , and if there were, it'd be a fortune.

On the list of old skool models to source original parts for...

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Just stumbled upon this, a testament to one of the greatest sets ever built.

LennyRhys and Pete J like this.
  6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

The 8880 was one of those kits I always wanted growing up

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A bit of progress on the Mustang - front axle(s?):

[​IMG]

Working brakes! The original design had longer axles, but I wanted them to not stick out beyond the wheel, so went for shorter 7s over 8s. Fortunately, the rear wheels have the same issue but I'll swap 9s for 10s, meaning all wheels will have a little grey dot at the centre. Aesthetics are important, people! Parts have turned up for modding the bonnet to fit the supercharger too.

The missing parts for the X-Wing have turned up, so I'll do that at some point, though now I've reacquainted myself with the Mustang, I'm keen to finish it sooner rather than later. The missing Y-Wing parts have yet to turn up, but the order is from the Netherlands, so I'm sure it's stuck in customs for the moment.

Meanwhile, I've decided to scale down the original idea for the Avengers Infinity War/Endgame diorama, so need a final Avengers model to fill up a shelf. Looks like this'll do:

[​IMG]

I've been keeping track of prices for the parts, almost going for it on a couple of occasions - unfortunately the price shot up today! However, it shares a lot of components with the Hulkbuster sets (from which I have many spare parts), so I'll have to see if an inventory check will magically reduce the cost by a fair bit.

Finally, keeping an eye on parts for the Lambo Sian cosmetic upgrade, but there's one part not for sale in the UK and the default 'Buy it Now' option tends to pick stores that have extremely high postage. Again, may be best to do a proper stock check in the near future (finishing off the Rebel starfighters and Mustang first).

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Bad news, everyone!

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

had a new Code Pilot unit arrive from Milwaukee today to replace my dead one for 8479. Spent the afternoon learning how to program it again

i'll have to look into getting a second motor for it to open up more programming options

Pete J likes this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A little X-Wing progress:

[​IMG]

Sill not had the Netherlands delivery for the missing Y-Wing parts turn up. Hmm...

Another blast from the past! 1997 that came out. Memories of the 'Flex System' and it's amazing to think that kind of functionality existed so long ago. Also surprised to see the clutch gear in that - I didn't realise it was that old!

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I think it was the first set to include a clutch gear

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I think this fits here (I'm presuming you're all old).
    [​IMG]

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I visit the folks' about twice a year on average, bringing a Lego model or two to build with me. My 70 year old father looks in occasionally, shaking his head, then insists on 'having a go' with the finished product :hehe:.

Update tonight. Nothing actual building wise, but other things!

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So an update as I haven't done one in a little while...

First off, I've not made any real Lego building progress as I've done a stock check of my growing spares collection and now have them organised, allowing me to save a little bit of money on future projects by quickly assessing the parts I already have.

The last of the deliveries containing parts for Mjolnir, the minifig scale Hulkbuster and the additional Sian upgrade have arrived. Unfortunately some parts were missing, so another order or two will have to be made. Never mind, it'll give me a chance to order some parts for MORE PROJECTS!

Robocop

[​IMG]

I spotted this on Rebrickable, with the instructions only costing a dollar (I'd buy that). I need to do a stock check as I already have several parts for it. Also, ED-209:

[​IMG]

Metal Gear Rex

[​IMG]

Yup, it's happening...slowly. Found memories of the PSX game, when I was an age where I didn't question the storyline. I've still yet to buy the instructions and I need to have a look at some of the colour choices as some of the parts used fall into the 'more expensive than gold' category.

Also, Snake:

[​IMG]

And finally, the biggest for last:

Minifig Scale Millennium Falcon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Originally I decided against getting the UCS Falcon as I was disappointed that its interior wasn't accurate and I thought it might detract from the Star Destroyer. However, a chap has released a 1300+ long page instruction manual to build this version, which would nicely fit in the corner of my lounge Lego display room, along with the minifig scale fighters; might have to move some shelves though. Again, this is a long term project and the overall cost is...well, a lot. 11502 pieces and I'll need to source additional minifigs to live in it! One little moral issue I'm dealing with is that the designer originally loaded the instructions for free (and I downloaded) but is now charging $60 for. Meh, I'll build the thing and if he's done a good job, I'll see about reimbursing him - the Star Destroyer's instructions are only $25 after all.

Righto, just another couple of parcels to check, then I'll finish off the X and Y-Wings before finishing the Mustang.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2021
    MadGinga and liratheal like this.
  15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Obviously, all cool, but.

Metal Gear?!

'kin love Metal Gear.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

LennyRhys likes this.
  17. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

And delivery time is, ouch - usually delivered in 1-2months
    estimated: March 23 - April 19

likelihood your order will be cancelled and refunded.

EDIT: Doesn't mean i haven't given it a shot though :D

18. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

....and it turned up today. go figure :lol::lol::hehe::hehe:

Pete J likes this.
  19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Gah! Mould King! Evil MOC instruction stealing gits! :nono:. I've been looking on and off for a Super Star Destroyer, but getting one in that scale would detract from the existing Star Destroyer. I remember seeing a small scale diorama of it crashing into the Death Star - I might do that if instructions are released.

While I'm here, may as well do a mini-update: X-Wing is almost complete but I'm missing four small grey bevel gears. On the other hand, parts for Robocop and ED-209 have been ordered, along with several parts for other projects.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2021