1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

How are the tyres - they perished at all, yet?

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Not at all! They have some dust on them, which may be a bit of a bugger to clean.

There's actually a fifth small tyre for the Hand of God (HOG) steering wheel: that's become quite loose to what it used to be, but still perfectly serviceable.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Pedantic post ahoy! :grin: Plus you probably know this, but whatever :grin:

$380USD is currently £311 but the vast majority of US prices are quoted without sales tax. If you add on the UK's sales tax, aka VAT, it comes out to £373. So there's really bugger all in it :).

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I didn't know that. Still going to be bitter about it :hehe: .

Byron C likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Then I guess every day is a school day :grin:.

For a long time it really irked me when I saw prices in USD being the same as GBP, but I hadn't really thought about it in any great depth until a few years ago...

Pete J likes this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I am DESPERATELY trying to not buy the instructions and parts for this:

I really want to buy the instructions (25 euros) just to look through, but know I'll end up ordering parts if I do. The design is exquisite: it is the most densely packed model I've ever seen. The designer has even worked with a sticker supplier to have custom stickers available.

There's also the ability to have the CAD to 3D print custom wheels (supplied free with the manual).

Grr.

EDIT: P.S. Even though the colours are the same as the Chiron, this is actually a happy coincidence as one of the 20 cars made is painted in those colours.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Out of curiosity, how much of your house is Lego these days?

I'm envisioning some sort of .. Tripping over bags of pieces as you make your way to any room.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Thing is, you're saying that in jest...and it's true. I have actually tripped a couple of times on boxes sticking out, and slippery plastic bags that have blown off the building table.

I need more shelves and cabinets...

9. liratheal

Not entirely in jest! You've bought a lot of kits in this thread alone, and I'm betting this thread wasn't started when you started buying lego :p

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

This is true. Probably doubled my collection since starting this thread.

The 12% H2O2 turned up today, so I've put it outside:

[​IMG]

Seems to be having more of an effect than the 3% stuff. Sunshine is somewhat intermittent.

It's nice being able to break up the working day by quickly attending to a hobby :hehe:.

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Bon apetit!

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ha! The foil kept blowing up in the wind, and me (being a bloke) grabbed the nearest heavy 'things' to weigh it down.

It seems to be working a treat! Going to leave it out for a while longer. Hopefully I can do the light grey parts tomorrow.

13. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Did you take a "before" photo, so you can compare? And do you have a "new" piece that you can compare too?

14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

He did...

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

It crossed my mind but I was rushing around like a mad thing.

The white parts are MUCH better now. I might give them an extra day after doing the grey bits since some still have very (VERY) faint discolouration marks. I'm not quite convinced that UV light is actually necessary and it's just a bleaching effect, but hey ho. Supposed to be very sunny tomorrow, so might be able to get the greys done in three hours and put the whites back in.

MadGinga likes this.
  16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So, did the light grey parts today!

The good: the discoloured parts have been returned to their original colour.

The not so good but still okay: interestingly, some parts seem to have a different material/dye composition, meaning they're turned a colour more akin to 'dark bluish grey' :hehe: . Fortunately, it's only a few parts and they're all the same components, so in a way, it just makes the model more my own.

The annoying: even after 26 years, the sticker adhesive is extremely persistent. I might try rubbing parts with isopropanol (rated as 'good' resistance).

I've put the white parts back in for a couple more hours, just to chase off any last discolouration. I've also only got a few more parts to clean, so this weekend will be dedicated to rebuilding. Brace yourselves for some old skool Lego Technic.

17. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Lol. I might be attempting this as/when we finish our extension, I am hoping to bring up my childhood lego from the 'rents and give it a good going over; i.e. replace missing & damaged parts and clean (or replace - depending on how many, sue me i'm lazy) discoloured/stained parts.

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

liratheal likes this.
  19. liratheal

Although it thoroughly mugged me off that he sorted only by colour and technic.

20. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

... that we saw.