1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

IanW, BeauchN and Pete J like this.
  2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I cross that bridge when I get to it, I'm sure the wife has a spot picked out already

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Last coupe of bags;

[​IMG]PXL_20220109_120820628 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

I need NOS;

[​IMG]PXL_20220109_123935733 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Arse coming together;

[​IMG]PXL_20220109_130117386 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Roof on;

[​IMG]PXL_20220109_132353457 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Hmmmm, that don't look right, it shouldn't have a chopped front.
    Yup, that back support should be one hole further down;

[​IMG]PXL_20220109_132504265 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Managed to finagle the parts around each other and move it without major disassembly;

[​IMG]PXL_20220109_133054939 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Was intending to finish today, but I have another missing part so this is as far as it got;

[​IMG]PXL_20220109_144617928 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

Really enjoying building this, but very disappointed in how the finish article will be, in rolling chassis form the running gear, diff, steering, suspension etc all worked smooth as butter, but now with the body work added it's just to heavy and everything flexes and binds when it's run along the table top.

Not such a big issue for me personally, hell I'm 48 and this will sit on a shelf somewhere and be a display, but this is Techinic's, it's for the kids to learn basic engineering (and push it along making brumm, turbo / supercharger & wastegate noises) but instead they've got something that shudders along like a knackered Capri with collapsed suspension and bust up axels.
    I am rather slightly miffed at Lego.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

720S update. Here's the core:

[​IMG]

And here's the rear axle:

[​IMG]

Next stage is the gearbox, and after that the engine.

In other Lego stuff, I had a delivery from Sweden turn up that amongst other things, contained the last ultra-rare part for Robocop.

I may or may not still do that :worried:

IanW and mrlongbeard like this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Quick little update:

[​IMG]

I was buying Batman for a friend's present and the Ironman popped up, so I thought 'why not'?

IanW likes this.
  7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

720S update:

First, the 7 speed sequential gearbox (with hard stops at 1 and 7, which I always like to see):

[​IMG]

Quite amazing as I think the design was started before the 'orange twisty bits' first seen in the Chiron, so is an extrapolation of the gearbox first seen in the Porsche. I'm extremely happy with how I've got the mechanism - the switch mechanism for the four speed section of the gearbox is so smooth that I can change it simply by using gravity.

And V8 goodness:

[​IMG]

I had to add in a couple of small 'backstops' as the silver hoses kept forcing the bits off; hopefully they won't get in the way later on. Oh, and I forgot to mention last week that those brake callipers were added in by yours truly as they weren't in the original design.

I think that I'm going to swap out the LBG bits holding the brake callipers out for black ones today...

BeauchN likes this.
  8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Have you seen the "improved" version of the ironman figure that did the rounds on instagram last week? - think the brothersbrick covered it... ah yes, here

Pete J likes this.
  9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

No, I have not - and it is MUCH better! Thanks for the link, I'm going to have to dig around to see if I can find instructions...

10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

If you find them, let me know!

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I need to get married and have children so I have an excuse to play this,

12. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

They're solid games in their own right. Yes, perfect for kids but enough challenge and humour to enjoy as an adult

Pete J likes this.
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

We're planning to move at some point this year, and while it might be a good 6-8 months away we've decided to make a start on packing now. First things to get boxed up will be books... and the Lego sets... :waah:

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oof! I dread to even think about moving some of the models I have. I think I'll just try to stay here the rest of my life if possible :worried:.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thankfully all of my sets are bog-standard Lego sets, I don't have any MOCs... It'll also give me a good opportunity to go through and catalogue all the sets/pieces we have.

Pete J likes this.
  16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

720S update:

[​IMG]

Front axle is done. Nothing unusual here, though the suspension lever system is something I haven't seen before - mind you, there are actually several interesting methods that suspension can be implemented in Lego. I misjudged the parts needed for the front brake callipers, but fortunately I had the parts needed in the spares box (which is now worryingly large).

[​IMG]

Here's the basic chassis assembled! Next bit will be the 'cockpit', but for now, I'm going to take a little break and play some Mechwarrior 5: Robogits.

In other Lego stuff, I was perusing Rebrickable and found this:

[​IMG]

Look at this beautiful F40! The only downside is that it's 1:10 scale (standard size is 1:8) but the design is really impressive for its compact size, and to be fair it's a comparable size to the 8880. Not to mention that the combined mini V8/gearbox is a lovely little mechanism. The detailing, especially in the engine bay, is great.

Added to the list...

Byron C likes this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Time for an update:

There's been no real progress as weekend before last I was spending time with some friends, then last weekend I accidentally ended up having a huge binge session on Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries. However, I've been laying out parts each morning for the next stage of the 720S. I might have a stab at doing that this weekend, though will probably end up playing Mercs again

Also, thanks to a hefty price drop, I'm now the proud owner of:

[​IMG].

This means I now own my three most favourite cars in the whole world: a GT500, The Tumbler, and a Volvo V50 (diesel, gotta love that range).

But of course, 'standard' doesn't cut it...

[​IMG]

Yes, it does come in black - mainly because it is already black.

IanW likes this.
  18. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

That image about the motorised tumbler annoys me, the PS4 controller is flipped and now thats all I can see....

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update!

[​IMG]

There's the 'cockpit' installed. Looking at the image, I've realised that I need to push an additional few connectors into position. Still, this continues to be an excellent build and feels very much like an official Lego model.

Progress will be paused while I count some parts that I ordered to build...THE MOTORIZED TUMBLER! I'm also getting into the world of 'Buwizz' for the first time, having ordered a Mk2.0 unit this morning, so that I can drive the Tumbler around with my phone if I so choose. The Buwizz unit can be considered a predecessor to the 'Control+' hub seen in newer models, but has the interesting ability to supply 11.6V (compared to Lego's 9V), allowing extra speed. It also has a built-in LiPo batery that can be charged via USB, so is great for avoiding having to take the damn thing out to replace batteries. I'm also waiting on a Slovakian chap to get back off holiday tomorrow to send me the other part of the Tumbler order, which is the actual Powered Up motors used (which in some circles, appears to be favoured over the newer Control+ range).

In Lego news, well, there's been a lot of things happening since I last posted here. Mjolnir has been officially announced and reviewed, and the largest Technic set ever to be released is due to hit this year if the rumours are to be believed. There's also some debate about whether there's going to be a new 1:8 car released this year or next, although delaying until next year would break the two year cycle Lego seem to have previously followed. Also, as usual, a few new Star Wars sets.

Dammit, now I can't either!

IanW and BeauchN like this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update time:

Negligible progress on the 720S (just adding the steering wheel) as I forgot to order the correct amount of parts for light bley seats. Ah well, an order from a Scottish seller has been placed, along with parts for other builds.

Regarding the motorised Tumbler, the parcel has made it from Slovakia to the UK (if the tracking info is to be believed), but now seems to have stalled at Royal Mail. Hopefully this is just customs clearance or something, and I won't get an unexpected import tax.Also, I found out that for some reason, a differential gear hadn't been ordered, so, again, a small additional order with some extra parts for other projects.

I haven't found the instructions to the one you found, but I did find this:

[​IMG]

You can either watch the YouTube video to build it, or pay the bank-busting sum of £3 for downloadable PDF instructions.

And now onto Lego news, which I forgot to mention up until now:

Optimus Prime set rumoured for 2022

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-transformers-set-rumoured-for-2022/amp/

"Optimus Prime is rumoured to include 1,508 elements"

Jurassic Park T. rex Breakout

[​IMG]

"LEGO 76956 T. rex Breakout launches on April 17, 2022, for £89.99 / €99.99 $99.99 and is currently available for pre-order in the US."

LEGO Back to the Future DeLorean rumoured to feature glowing bricks

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-back-to-the-future-delorean-rumour-glow/

"Rumoured to include over 1,800 pieces for €179.99"