1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

hmm tempting... might have to take out that 2nd mortgage to afford it though... :lol:

The JP breakout is an easy buy, mainly for the ford explorer to go with the JP gate i already have, but the others would be high priority buys!

Surprised you haven't mentioned this...
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/horizon-forbidden-west-tallneck-7698

EDIT:
    Not that I need more Lego projects at the moment; I'm still (yes still) sorting the collection donated to me when I left last job in may last year... admittedly i have sorted one box by colour, which whilst the easiest sorting method is not good for finding pieces to down-sort into actual sets... oh well you live and learn. just need to find time/space to set up for down-sorting, then i can start building :)

Also, i did pick up another ex-collection, again via work-colleague donation, which didn't come with any boxes or instructions, so that has ended up with the kids :)

Last edited: 13 Mar 2022
    Pete J likes this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ahh, did see that, just kinda forgot as I haven't played the game yet - it's waiting in my Steam library!

Well, okay, I did briefly have a go on my (now sold) PS4, but using a controller to play it was making me RAEG, so I stopped.

3. MadGinga

Lol.
    I haven't played it either, its on the backlog for my backlog, so "aware of, but not purchased" along with most PS exclusives (see uncharted, the last of us, etc.)

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Another one for the list:-

EDIT - It's already in the store for £149.99 but is missing a set of train wheels for the final variant from BTTF3

Last edited: 17 Mar 2022
    d_stilgar and Pete J like this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Small update, as I've been spending more time playing computer games as of late:

[​IMG]

Seats are installed - they were originally all black, but as anyone who deals with models/miniatures will tell you, black is a very difficult colour to show details with, so I decided to add Light Bley sides to them.

In other updates, I now have all the parts for The Motorized Tumbler, including the Buwizz 2.0. I charged the Buwizz unit and gave it a go, and I'm extremely impressed! Very compact little unit with a downloadable app that connects via Bluetooth, with a friendly UI for setting up custom control profiles. This includes being able to monitor voltages, currents, and the unit even has a built in accelerometer. Finally, the unit allows you to 'overclock' the motors, offering a toggle that switches between four different speed modes: slow, normal, fast, and ludicrous! While it's safe to leave the unit running in 'fast' mode, ludicrous mode is only meant to be used briefly as it runs the standard Lego motors well beyond their default voltage and temperature - luckily an in-built over current limiter is installed that will shut down the unit if this happens.

IanW and maple like this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A long awaited update:

I am having a week's holiday between leaving my old job and starting my new one (that reminds me, must go to the Awesome thread), and so have got around to building...

THE MOTORIZED TUMBLER!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took me far longer than anticipated, mainly as there are several fiddly bits, and at one point I managed to dislodge one of the axles that steer the front wheels, requiring a bit of thought (and a blunt knife) to fix without having to take the damn thing apart again. The model's outer bodywork is a bit fragile, which can be annoying if you accidentally drop a part in there and need to tip the model upside down to get it out (like I did).

Driving wise, the Buwizz unit allows the model to go pretty damn fast, but the steering radius is massive - a limitation of the unusual front wheel layout! You also have to be careful of not allowing the front wheels to rub on surfaces - I did try setting up a limit in the Buwizz app, but it ended up making the steering radius basically non-existent, so left it at default (the instructions do offer two steering radius options - I went with the minimal one, which still had rubbing problems). Also, the model has FULL SUSPENSION! A very impressive technical feat.

Also, annoyingly, my parents' house seems to be far dustier than my own. Going to have to give it a clean when I get it back home! After that, back to the 720S.

MadGinga and IanW like this.
  7. MadGinga

I wish I had your space/time for building. :(
    Although saying that, i've recently built the Caterham 7, and am about 75%+ through the Mustang... but i've had to cram it on to my desk around keyboards, laptops and mice...

Pete J likes this.
  8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I wish I had a missus! :hehe:

Got enough space for a modest display cabinet? Its vertical nature may help you with space!

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Pete J likes this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Interesting. I'm still collecting the parts for the minifig scale version I'm going to build.

I reckon that windscreen is going to be very popular with the MOC crowd: lots of potential for custom spaceships!

IanW likes this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Update time:

[​IMG]

There's the 720S' rear spoiler mechanism done - by twisting the 'tail' the spoiler moves up and down.

Since I'm now away from home most of the week, I'll be doing other projects weekdays, while doing a little bit of the 720S most weekends. So, the first side project will be: The Space Marine Dreadnought! After this, I'll start reviewing projects by parts left to purchase, and move to complete them in this order.

IanW likes this.
  13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Sat down with my Daughter last night and we built a pair of Harry Potter books. She's stressing over her upcoming GCSEs and has developed a nervous tick, this chilled her right out.

[​IMG]

LennyRhys, IanW and Pete J like this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

blackerthanblack likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

TIL

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just took a look. The deal is Star Wars only.

• UCS Millennium Falcon - £559.99
    • UCS AT-AT - £559.99
    • UCS R2-D2 - £139.99
    • UCS Star Destroyer - £491.99
    • Luke X-Wing Helmet - £43.99
    • Mandalorian Helmet - £43.99

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Dammit guys! I'm currently trying to curb my spending on Lego, and then you show me stuff like this!

The UCS AT-AT is £140 off. That's hard to ignore. R2D2 and Luke's helmet are also mighty tempting.

Oh, fuggit.

LEEROY JENKINS!

keef247, LennyRhys and IanW like this.
  18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Time for an update. A bit more work on the 720S' bum:

[​IMG]

The parts for the Dreadnought have also been laid out and the base has been started.

I ordered the UCS AT-AT last week, but Hermes (sorry, I mean Evri) have apparently had a delay and it's still at their depot. Annoying as I was hoping to pick it up at a 'click and collect' point this weekend. Oh well, hopefully it'll be there next weekend.

IanW likes this.
  19. MadGinga

IanW and Pete J like this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Uppy-datey!

First up, the 720S' front bumper is complete:

[​IMG]

The dreadnought is also coming along nicely. Here's the base:

[​IMG]

...and here's progress on the torso:

[​IMG]

A couple of bits were missing for the dreadnought, so a few little Lego orders also containing parts for other projects have been received and checked.

Also, as mentioned in the Hermes/Evri thread, I didn't get my hands on the UCS AT-AT in the end. Never mind, hopefully I'll get one next May 4th.

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand there's a cool little MOC (by the same designer IIRC) that needs just one set, but is just the torso and head. On the other, the above is a fair amount of money to spend to to the MOC. Hmm. We'll see.

IanW likes this.