1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You made it to CitizenCon? :clap:

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ha! Good man! Let's go a bit off topic for a moment...

The simple answer is I didn't and the majority of the 11th (my org) didn't either. We rented an AirBnB and wandered round Manchester, watching the live stream back at the place whilst drinking. I slept through most of it to be honest :duh:.

Truth be told, we've mostly lost interest in the game at the moment and get on well, so we have our own Discord channel for chatting daily and meet up every now and again. In fact, earlier this year I hung out with one of them in Barcelona for a couple of days and next year will be visiting another in LA.

Life has been very interesting during the last three years, even more so because of the friends I've made through Star Citizen.

Anyway, back on topic!

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Plugging away at checking the last few orders for the fighters. Almost there. Ho hum.

In the meantime, I've decided that I've got some room for other space themes. So, things are going to get a little scary in the engine room:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Might have to knock up a flame thrower though.

And these chaps got a little lost on the way back from the moon and are just relaxing in the canteen, watching Jeff Vader throw a hissy fit:

[​IMG]

I was umming and ahhing over getting some Battlestar Galactica in there as well, but thought that might be a little far. As would have been getting a Pope minifig and having him next to Emperor Palpatine...

Last edited: 4 Mar 2020
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I looked at the first pic and thought, what the heck has a ginger cat got to do with space themed characters! :lol: On closer inspection, Jonesy made sense.

Please remind the 3 visitors to the canteen that they will need a tray, and possibly their own tea towel to dry it with. I'm sure Mr Stevens will make them very welcome.
    'Death Star Canteen'? Can't get enough of it, and the (original) Lego version is at least twice as funny as seeing Eddie Izzard doing it on stage. Vader's head bobbing up & down really cracked me up.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm. Bit Tech site isn't letting me upload photos at the moment, so let's hope this works...

[​IMG]

Big step - the two sides are unified! I've currently propped the two sides up with little Lego pillars as I'll be halting construction until after the New Year. The middle joining part is in itself a big model, which is the next stage.

I've also finished going through the last of the fighter parts and have placed orders for the missing parts, as well as some additional parts to allow me to modify the design slightly (adding three turrets to the front of the bridge which aren't in the design but are on the movie models). I've also ordered further minifigs.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2020
    The_Crapman likes this.
  6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

:hehe::lol:

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Not Star Destroyer related, but here's what I've been up to for the last few days:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Successfully converted over to right hand (i.e. correct) drive, simply by mirroring the instructions. Although I didn't bother to work it out, mirroring the instructions has also seemed to fix the 'wrong way round' gear ratios mentioned in some reviews.

PROS:

1) I have to say, the model is just 'really nice'. From a distance, you'd be able to confuse it with a scale model rather than Lego. Some might see that as a bad thing though!

2) Relatively good value for money when compared to the Chiron and 911 in my opinion.

3) Despite some reviews moaning about the gearbox, I found it to run smoothly (well, backlash is a thing but I'll mention that later). I have to point out that I'm quite OCD about building my Lego models and check at each stage that everything's running true - if not, I go back and make small adjustments until things are running as smooth as possible.

NEITHER HERE NOR THERE:

1) Lego has learnt their lesson with the Chiron and the suspension is improved - this model is lighter though. However, the model still doesn't quite return to its starting position. The front suspension has two red and two grey springs - Lego should've had four red springs (as they do for the rear suspension). Though as mentioned, I think Lego need to introduce a stronger suspension spring.

2) The straight six engine is pretty cool as I've not seen it done before. However, I think I may have preferred a more traditional V6, which can be easily modded in. I'm not sure what the actual car has though, so the straight six is probably technically accurate.

3) I have a feeling that the gearbox will punish less fastidious builders. Not only is there a point at which some universal joints have to be put in a particular orientation, any shafts not running freely will mess things up.

CONS:

1) Although the gearbox is pretty advanced, it's 'only' four gears (excluding the hi/low and reverse selectors). I think it could've been upped to six gears. A minor argument as the overall mechanism is still very impressive.

2) Probably a personal preference, but the underside is exposed - I would've like to have seen underside plates on the model a la the 911 and Chiron. People who want to see the gear train will be happy though.

3) The complexity of the gearbox means that there's a LOT of backlash, especially in the lower gears. Probably unavoidable to be honest.

OVERALL:

I highly recommend this model, to the point that I'd say it's the choice model of all Technic models, maybe even above the Chiron as it is a bit more playable.

Anyhoo, on to the next model.Hopefully I'll manage to complete it before returning home:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Uploaded images to Bit-Tech. It's working again!

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Images are broken mate,

IanW and Pete J like this.
  9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

The actual car has an 8 litre W16 (4 banks of 4 cylinders, like 2 V8s on a common crank).

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Pics on Google? Folder still set to "Private" it seems.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sorted the images - a week or two ago Bit-Tech wouldn't let me upload for some reason.

I'm no expert at Google Photos. I'll look into setting up a public folder...

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

The Landy looks awesome.

I have a 42099 4x4 that needs building. Need a big chunk of time to sit and do it.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Chiron does, but not the Landy!

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Do'h!

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Still working on the 42100 - I've reached the point at which I decide to make it left of right hand drive. After reviewing the instructions, I've found no asymmetrical parts so will convert it: after all, it'll probably make it uniquely mine!

In Star Wars stuff, I've put orders in for this:

[​IMG]

Rebrickable has a free PDF instruction manual for it. I'm not sure if it's the correct scale compared to the Aggressor but it's near enough and in my opinion is the best micro scale Blockade Runner I've come across. Annoyingly I forgot to apply all parts as 'new', so have had to cancel an order and rebuy some parts. Luckily it's only ~110 parts, so only a few quid out of pocket :duh:.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, after a few days' toil:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PROS:

1) IT'S BIG. As in, about the size of a male Shiba Inu.

2) The Control+ software does a great job of controlling it. Using a phone to control a Lego model is really fun. Using the app's 'virtual control' feature to control the arm is damn cool.

3) Really fun to play with!

4) Great at scaring dogs, though my parents' shiba inu eventually made friends with it.

5) Fantastic representation of one of the most manly vehicles on the planet.

NEITHER HERE NOR THERE:

1) After having built the Land Rover 42110 set, I felt that the model wasn't very mechanically clever.I own the 8043 set (picked up years ago during my uni days), which is the ancestor of this set: 8043 used infrared sensors to control four motors and through the clever use of a gearbox, managed to achieve the same functions. This meant that only 6 AA batteries were needed, instead of 12!

2) The inside of the model is actually quite empty. After having built the recent car models (Landy, Chiron, 911), it just seemed a bit...I dunno, not right. The 8043 was essentially built around the gearbox, meaning it was a satisfying dense model.

CONS:

1) Expensive! The RRP is £400, though I managed to get it off Amazon a couple of weeks or so after launch for £360, and it actually dipped to £320 at one point. Is it worth it? I...dunno. The new motors and Bluetooth control units are quite impressive in their implementation with the Control+ app.

2) App control dependent. In the past, Lego models have had custom, simple control units that don't need to worry about obsolescence (though I did have to get a new remote control for my 8043 as I left batteries in it, causing the contacts to corrode). Although Bluetooth isn't disappearing anytime soon, those of us thinking about keeping models like this around until we kick the bucket may need to think about buying a cheap phone or tablet to make sure the set can always be controlled.

OVERALL:

This model is a bit strange in my opinion. I think that Lego Technic purists will be off put by the more 'hidden' nature of the mechanisms. However, there's no denying that it's just a really cool model. I've certainly had a lot of fun building it and playing with it afterwards!

EDIT:

I had to share this video:

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

And in Star Wars news, I've also decided to get the following:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why? Well, I'm intending to display the fighter models where the TV would normally go in the lounge. There's a ledge which normally the Sky box (or PS4, or whatever) would go. These'll fill that up nicely...

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I think i equal parts hate, love and am jealous of you.

FINALLY getting a man cave (small room to call my own) so may have to dable in some MOCs...
    Will have to build the Tantive IV first though...

Pete J likes this.
  19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A new year and back to work on the old triangle ship:

[​IMG]

The centre isn't connected yet as I didn't want to leave it in an unsteady state. Next weekend, I'm going to build a few steps ahead, so I can join them all quickly, reducing the time the frame stands under stress. I'm nearing the end of the first instruction PDF, which is exciting (for me anyway).

In non Star Wars news, I spotted this and couldn't resist:

[​IMG]

Parts have been ordered, including an LED to illuminate the ammo counter

I also found a really nice MOC upgrade for the 911 GT3 RS that adds some welcome features, so at some point, I intend to rebuild it (parts ordered).

You may want to look into a stand for it to maximise man cave efficiency!

You can either go for a nice transparent stand:

[​IMG]

Or go a Lego MOC one:

[​IMG]

20. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Good idea! Would probably go for a Lego-based one tbh.