1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I meant, and i realise my grammar was awful, that i have seen a mod that does it, and supposedly was just a literal flip of that bottom piece of the chest - ymmv!

Pete J likes this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Wow! :jawdrop:

Pete J likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Double Wow!

Pete J likes this.
  4. MadGinga

In response to my work mates noticing a spike in my stress levels (see this post), they bought me some "de-stress" Lego...
    [​IMG]
    ...and relax.

LennyRhys, IanW and Pete J like this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Iron Man Mk43 complete!

[​IMG]

Didn't manage to find @MadGinga 's mod he mentioned, but I'm not fussed. Pretty cool model, though I think the designer's aim of limiting himself to building it from three sets rather than allowing some additional parts to be bought stopped it from being an 11/10. Getting the removable arc reactor light in was a bit of a ******* too, and I ended up splitting it in half and putting the front through the, erm, front. I would love to see Lego take more notice of stuff like this as I'd be all over them. I'm thinking Batman, Hulk, Thor, Captain America...you name it.

Right, I really want to get the 720S finished this weekend, but we'll have to see if I get my arse in gear to get the gardening done or not, as well as contemplating a new PC game to play.

EDIT: So I was missing a few little pieces for the 720S, not to mention that it turned out one of the sellers from AGES ago had accidentally given me two LHS versions of a panel. Also, a small panel had a tiny blemish on, so it was a good excuse to order a few more bits of Lego. Hopefully next weekend I'll finally complete it.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2022
    MadGinga likes this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

MASSIVE UPDATE TIME!!!

McLaren 720S

The 720S is complete!

[​IMG]

Here she is with some of her siblings:

[​IMG]

An absolutely cracking build, 10/10. The designer spent over two years on it and it really shows. There are no illegal connections and everything is solid - quite frankly, it's better than the official Lego sets. The doors are a particularly clever design, able to hold in the open position simply by friction. And as if it couldn't get any better, there are no expensive parts used, meaning that the cost is the same (or even a little less) as the official sets. There are a couple of awkward steps, but certainly nothing compared to some of the harder MOCs and still comparable to official sets. I'm also happy with the little extra touches I added (brake calipers, chrome wheels/gearstick knob, centre panel) as it makes the model 'pop'.

Robocop

I decided to commence building Robocop as it's one of the larger projects, as well as missing the most parts (most of which are annoyingly expensive):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Straightforward building, but progress is constantly halted by missing parts (which get ordered along the way). I've been jumping around through the instructions and building an arm here, a leg there...I kinda like it as it's how I imagine Robocop was put together! The model's going to end up a bit crazy expensive, but already I can tell that once put togther, it's going to look fantastic. On the other hand, I'm a bit annoyed as some of the parts were specced in 'Light Gray' (an older colour, before Light Bley became the standard) and upon actually going through, these parts didn't need to be that colour.

I think it's time for a roundup of projects left to do:

Other projects

Sauron

Only a few bits left, and they're on the way! This'll be the next project methinks, probably while I wait for Robocop bits to turn up.

New Minas Anor

Couple of bits left. Small little build to fit inbetween things.

Robo CAIN

All bits acquired! I'll fit this inbetween projects.

Metal Gear Rex (Minifig scale)

Majority of parts acquired. I'm going to set this up in my folks' house in my old room to treat as an evening project as it has a lot of bits.

Chestburster

Only a few bits left, but all irritatingly expensive. I've already decided against using one part (a dark red disc representing pooling blood coming off the model) as it's STUPIDLY expensive and will actually protrude off the planned shelf.

Ferrari F40 1:10

This is a low priority project that I may only do if, after having finished pretty much everything else, there's still not a good 1:8 model. There is a 1:8 version out there, but I personally think it could be done a little better (better use of panels, more detail in the engine bay).

UCS Falcon MKII

Only a few bits left. Last week I took delivery of some bits from Canada, some of which were last made in 1977 - which is older than me! I think I'm going to start setting out the pieces at home (AKA my main Lego building site) as it's a project on the same scale as the Star Destroyer, hence will be on the order of a year to build, and that's assuming I dedicate the majority of weekends to it.

Luke's Landspeeder

Couple of corner parts left. This is actually more of a 'joke' build for me, so I'll just wait for whenever an order happens to contain the bits...

Rebuilds/Improvements

42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS
    42083 Bugatti Chiron
    42143 Ferrari Daytona SP3
    42009 Mobile Crane with new gearbox

These are projects I'll do after everything else is done. In the case of the cars, it's to add some extra features (well, so will the crane). The recently released Ferrari will definitely be bought at some point, but I want to wait for the 'Pimp my Ferrari' MOC do be completed, which usually takes a year for the final version to be released.

Rumoured upcoming sets

Apologies for the slightly annoying voice of the presenter:

Vault-Tec and boiled_elephant like this.
  7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Dead or alive, you're coming with me.

Looking forward to the Rex build!

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'm going to take a sharpie to the interior light, it's totes overpowered in the dark, just need to dim it down a smidge

[​IMG]PXL_20220807_214215281 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Small update:

[​IMG]
    (Apologies for even crapper image quality than usual)

Torso's coming along, but it'll probably still be a couple of months while I get around to buying the final pieces. As it stands...
    • Head: ~95%
    • Torso: ~70%
    • Arms: Complete!
    • Pelvis: Complete!
    • Thighs: ~90%
    • Calves: ~20%
    • Feet: ~5% (started after images taken)
    Now, let's talk about Metal Gear Rex...

I've started laying out the parts on another bench, but it turns out that in the last month, another AFOL has been steadily working on it and found that the model needs a lot of work to reduce its fragility. Bit annoyed about this, but at the same time, the designer had stated that he hadn't actually built it. I feel that Rebrickable should have a policy of not allowing designers to sell MOC instructions unless the designer showers evidence that they've built the model, but hey ho. Still a chance to go the next step, from merely building from other's instructions to making models myself.

Finally, because some of the parts I need are from overseas and have minimum spend figures, I've started collecting parts for the F40!

Vault-Tec and liratheal like this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Small Robocop update (without photos unfortunately)

• Head: Complete!
    • Torso: ~70%
    • Arms: Complete!
    • Pelvis: Complete!
    • Thighs: ~90%
    • Calves: ~30%
    • Feet: Complete!

Currently taking a couple weeks off to sort out the garden for the winter, clean the house, and generally sort stuff out.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Almost there!

[​IMG]

Just a couple of pieces that cover the back of the torso. Hopefully next week Murphy will be standing proud, if some parts from Canada manage to arrive...

Vault-Tec and IanW like this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

DEAD OR ALIVE, YOU ARE COMING WITH ME

[​IMG]

I got bored of waiting for the delivery from Canada (which I suspect has been lost in the post), so bought the final parts from a UK store at a bit higher cost. Annoying, as the Canada delivery also had a couple of rarish parts needed for the Chestburster.

Anyway, a great model. Very sturdy and as close as you can get to perfect with Lego. However, the model does use some extremely rare and expensive parts, which represents that extra cost for that little bit of extra detail. For example, the cod piece and one of the thighs I 'had' to buy entire sets for just to get my hands on those pieces. But damn, he cool!

At the moment I'm alternating Lego time between setting out the parts for Metal Gear Rex, going through my spare parts to see what I already have for the Ferrari F40, sorting parts for the Millennium Falcon and putting up shelves. So, not much will be happening in the immediate future.

Stay tuned!

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

@Pete J - UCS Razorcrest confirmed!

Pete J likes this.
  15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

£500!!!!!!!!!!!

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

@Pete J - at some point, we need to see a zoomed out pic of the internals of your manor (Brick Towers?) to see how all these builds are repping their daily lives.

I'd imagine it's quite a show once all the humans in the house have gone to bed of an evening...

Pete J likes this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The plan is to do a little video tour once I've finished. Well, near finished, as a collection is never truly complete!

Just need to get the willpower to put some shelves up to make space for the planned Falcon. Gaming and being lazy is/are stopping me however...

ModSquid and IanW like this.
  18. MadGinga

I'll just leave this here...
    [​IMG]

Pete J and Byron C like this.
  19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

For those curious what got delivered...

[​IMG]

I've also ordered the extra parts for the 'Pimp my Ferrari'. I hope I'll find time over Christmas to build it.

[​IMG]

IanW, Byron C and MadGinga like this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just a weird little update:

Remember that I ordered parts from Canada but I was convinced they were lost? Well, yesterday they turned up! Mainly because some kind person put it in an envelope and sent it to me. Unfortunately they didn't leave any contact details.

So, thank you kind person! You'll more than likely never read this, but on the off-chance you do, thank you for restoring my faith in humanity a little.