1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

peterson get death

Discussion in 'Serious' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 14 Dec 2004.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

you just give lip service to your bible, don't you? you think the almighty dollar is more important than a human life, even though killing them costs more than keeping them alive. that means that you are actually paying more to kill them.

and accidents happen, if forty years after someone is executed, the real killer confesses on his deathbed, what do you do? dig 'em up and say you're sorry? at least if someone is spending life in prison, you can let them out. what can you do to fix the innocent person you murdered?

life can be undone, death can't

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Doesn't make it right. It's the old "we've always done it this way!" argument again.

And the men we have in power now are?!? Some choice. :rolleyes: May I remind you of the great track record men have: wars, genocide, dictatorships, pollution on a massive scale. I don't see how a woman could possibly do worse.

Punishment is also designed to be either a deterrrent or a reinforcer of behaviour. Since we'd be putting the offender to death, we wouldn't exactly give him the opportunity to change his behaviour. Deterrent? This, as I explained above, doesn't work: murderers either think they will get away with it, accept the consequences as inevitable, or more likely simply don't think that far. Which leaves us revenge/retaliation. So are you arguing that the murderer should be put to death out of a form of retaliation, a balancing of the injustice done to the victim?

Retaliation, then.

I think this is a more honest reply, and one I can relate to more, frankly. However you have to decide for yourself how comfortable you feel with dehumanising the murderer (or, given that he did it first by his actions, colluding with him dehumanising himself), and how well that fits into your Christian beliefs.

Moreover it is nice to talk about the hypothetical "serial killer" as if murder is generally committed only by a cold-blooded psycho with an icehockey mask and a carving knife, or a Hannibal Lecter (slslslslslslsl...). However, real life tends to be much more complex, and murder a much more tragic affair for victim and perpetrator alike. It is in those grey areas that real judgements need to be made...

As an aside, actually I think they do believe in their own way --they buy into their particular interpretation of their religion because it supports their a priori psychological belief system (which is what we all do, really).

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

You know, Nexxo, I think half the reason your project is taking so long is because you keep posting in this thread.

4. Nexxo

You may be right... :D Actually sometimes when I come home I'm too tired to mod. And currently I'm waiting for a few parts... :naughty:

5. TJK

TJK What's a Dremel?

Nexxo, you are right about the stereotype of a murderer being a cold blooded person, and if we break out of the stereotype, then there are alot of cases where murderers dont deserve the death penalty. If you are talking about those people, the great, we agree that the death penalty isnt right for them. My main arguement is that you are trying to abolish the death penalty completely. I dont think it should be used for every murderer, just those where guilt is obvious and more than one person was murdered, and in a brutal way..... I want the death penalty to be there for the serial killers, premeditated murderers and such. I dont want you to get the electric chair just because you shot your neighbor because he was in bed with your wife.... that kind of murder is tragic for both parties.

6. Nexxo

I'm arguing against the Death Penalty (completely) because: 1. Miscarriages of justice occur (and more often than you'd think); and 2. how you treat people defines not only them, but also you. You dehumanise someone else, you dehumanise yourself too. This is as inevitable as a coin having two sides.

As an aside, there are also habituation/generalisation effects to consider. You sanction the Death Penalty for one crime, how long before you decide you might as well apply it to some other crime because hey, in your view, it is just as bad as murder (if not worse). For instance, the new measures taken after 9/11 in the US in its "War against Terror" do not only include indefinite arrest and detention without charge or trial, but also a military trial behind closed doors with the Death Penalty as one possible outcome. I don't know about you, but I definitely feel uncomfortable about that. I do not feel that the US and UK are in the hands of governments that should have such legal powers over life and death.