1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PGR4 won't fit on a DVD, content axed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Aug 2007.

1. Acehole

Acehole What's a Dremel?

Lump all the night textures on a second disc so if person X has the HDD they can install them and if person Y has no HDD he only can play in daylight, although personally I don't know of anyone with a 360 and no HDD.

If things do get to the point where console games have to be installed it wouldn't be surprising what with consoles becoming more and more like PCs

2. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Um dude, do you actually know what you are talking about or did you just want to poke at Sony a bit ?

Actually the cell was developed by 3 companies, IBM, Sony and someone else (who pulled out i think ?)

Where the f**k did that come from ?

Possibly, but lets not get into that debate, i find it hard to believe you can patent to different sized semi-circle weights that are spun to create a rumble effect - but that is the world we live in

How do you know this was stolen, Sony may have been working on this for ages, just because Nintendo came out with an idea at the same time doesn't mean Sony stole the idea

Where do you get that idea, Sony had the network adaptor for the PS2 ages ago, in fact i have a review of the PS2 in a magazine where they said there were planning this (however they also said they were planning a HDD which never happened either)

Get some facts, get a clue, then come back

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Having checked Bizarres site it seems that night and day cycles were ditched in favor of more locations which is fair enough, also there are still night venues for those that are best at night so its not really a big deal.

In fact looking at it I'm thinking I should remove my Xbox from ebay.....I only bought my xboxes for PGR mainly, comes from being a die hard MSR nut but I don't know PGR3 was a let down.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Year PGR3 was utter tripe :(

Much preferred PGR2, it had a better range of cars instead of just sports cars to uber cars, they had some normal ones too.

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

OMG as soon as Sony can justify the reason for the Blu-Ray drive, all the 360 owners try justifying their aged DVD-ROMs, or they start spouting out how THEY could do a better job than a M$ Games Studios development team, even though the DVD-ROMs are clearly holding a major title back (yes I know it's only certain game content, but this still shouldn't happen, especially right now; only 2 years out). I mean c'mon, so what if the Blu-Ray drive (in current PS3's) has slow read times, that's the price you pay when you have a brand-new technology that what will allow current/future game developers the ability to offer more in terms of content, graphics, etc. rather than less in this case (I mean, that's why you bought a next-gen console right? For better graphics, more content, etc.). Current/future 360 titles are of course geared towards offering better graphics/performance than the previous offerings, yet if this cycle continues into the future then, we the 360 gamer will be affected, and probably not just in terms of game content. My basic point is this: if this is happening right now for 360 games, what about future ones?, or will there be a backdoor to this? Honestly, if M$/devs can actually implement a game/games that can get around this, then Blu-Ray has lost my vote, but until then Sony has justified its decision to include the Blu-Ray drive.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2007
  6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

/\ Well, I guess after reading that it wasn't disk space that contributed to the lack of content (which, for all I know could've been spin by M$ to shy away from the fact that it was a lack of disk space, but we'll never know until future games start having the same problems), Blu-Ray is looking a little dimmer and Sony better prove later on that it was worth the extra $ or it's not just going to be me that's rasing the eyebrow. I still think that more space is better, but if the costs outweigh the benefits then I don't see a reason for having it...

7. bluesuedeshoes

bluesuedeshoes What's a Dremel?

Ok I don't normally post on forums where fan boys can be found. HOWEVER there are some major factual inaccuracies in many of the reports regarding stolen tech by Sony. Firstly Sony weren't sued over Blu-ray, the Blu-ray consortium were. They were actually sued over the plastic polymer used in protecting the disc. The law suit will FAIL as Sony are actually using a patent held by TDK for the plastic which pre-dates ANY US of A based patents!!! Also to the chap who posted the link of a HD-DVD with 51gb capacity, yep triple layer, thats as much as is physically possible to get out of it because of the width of the pits on the actual disk. The 50gb Blu-ray disk is only dual layer, they are already working on a quad layer disc (expected early 2008) that'll have 100gb capacity.

Rumble, Sony actually settled out of court with Immersion technology because there was a good chance that Sony hadn't infringed the patents quite like Immersion first claimed. Microsoft also settle by buying into immersion. So are they thieves as well? Also Nintendo had to settle. Both filed patents in Japan not knowing Imerssion held very similar patents in the USA. FACT.

As for Sixaxis it uses a mercury switch which is actually far more accurate at sensing movement while Nintendo use infra red. Sony have been working on Motion sensing at SCEE for absolutely ages, Archer McLeans game Mercury for the PSP was original ment to ship with a mercury switch very similar to the one found in the sixaxis. THe reason Sony Didn't release motion sensing for the PS2 was because it was too expensive to mass produce at the time especially when compared to the eye toy, which gave much the same result and was a cheaper tech.

As for Home, I'm not sure but I believe this was originally intended for the PS2 but was scrapped either due to technical limitations of the system, the fact that they thought there weren't enough PS2 users with the network adapter to warrant the expense of developing it for a limited PS2 online community OR the one I personally believe they wanted to hold it back for the PS3 and actually have a killer online application.

As for the Cell patent infringement, that is an utter load of cobblers if you actually look at it. Its like ford saying I patent a automated moving object with four wheels!!! No one can own the patent for a multicore processing. If they do then Microsoft, Intel, AMD, IBM EVERYBODY is buggered. I don't know who was who asked but the Cell development team was Sony, IBM and Toshiba. Toshiba didn't pull out they just haven't used the Cell yet in any consumer products (they will).

I am not a Sony fan boy before anyone accuses me, I actually quite like my Xbox 360 even though it appears to hate me (broken down 7 flipping times now!!!). Yes I own a PS3 and so far the games have dissapointed me, Motorstorm cracking, R:FOM average the rest meh. I originally loved the Wii but by good its got old quick, people moan about the lack of PS3 games what about the Wii???? God I can't wait for Mario Kart and Metroid.

I used to work in the games industry (in the UK) and still have links to many a friend who still work in UK based devs, and I'm sorry Xbox 360 fan boys BUT the lack of a HDD as standard is hampering games developers, Microsoft have budged and now agreed to allow more HDD required games BUT the biggest problem is DVD9. Bizzare Creations are a British Studio based in Liverpool and are masters of compression techniques as anyone who has played the fore runner to PGR, Metropolis Street Racer will attest (on Dreamcast) also they've had the full backing of Microsft games studios. Trust me the version of PGR4 we will get on the disc will be compressed to the max. Rockstar another British dev are grumbling about DVD9 and compression, as are Free Radical and Epic Games (US based). DVD9 is a massive chain around Microsofts neck at the minute.

I won't get started on innovation in the games industry because I'll just go on forever suffice to say Sony aren't that bad, they've certainly innovated. B Bye

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sorry, that's just wrong. Infra-red is used for pointer position. Movement is by a 3-axis accelerometer

9. bluesuedeshoes

Fair point, but there is still considerable difference in the tech being used. The reality is Sony haven't implemented motion sensing in anywhere near as competent a way as Nintendo have, the shape of the sixaxis just doesn't lend itself to motion sensing gaming any way, the wiimote is pure genius. Shigeru Miyamoto I salute you sir!!!

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Shigsey is a games producer. He'll have some input but not 100% decision

11. bluesuedeshoes

Yes Shigsey is actually Director and General Manager of Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development (EAD) and has been since way before the launch of the DS. He was responsible for the design of N64 and Gamecube pads. He is also attributed to the design of the Wiimote. Remember he joined NCL as a Product Designer. He may not have developed the tech inside but the ideas shape etc are all pure Shegeru Miyamoto, unless he lied at last years TGS!

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i should look more on the size on BD disks but 100gb be insane and very useful

but as an rock solid standard what will game makers use HD-dvd offers 30gb now (15gb Hd-dvd pointless as it only offers 6gb more then DVD9) or BD as for an slandered as it can give them 25gb strate away or 50gb later on i not consider HD-dvd disks my self as thay offer limited space

game makers probably never use the tipple layer disks as thay will most likey be incompatible with some drives but i am probably thinking 2 or so years later on before thay even Think of useing them but with some games starting to need 2-3 dvds to install it probly happen soon

just why couldent of every one just work togever and make an format that was made all of the companys happy but as far as i can tell its just simpley easyr to make HD-DVD over BD drives now i have to wait probly longer until HD-dvd dies off and we get cheap drives

13. bluesuedeshoes

Simple answer money!!! HD-DVD group had spent far too much money developing their format to hand over more of the patent rights and share of the money to make it economically viable for them to co-operate, and of course vice versa for the Blu-ray group. Both camps thought the financial hit they would take in the short term over lost RD monies was far out weighed by the possibility that they could actually win the format war. To me it looks like Blu-ray is slowly building a lead and certainly in the UK it is the more supported format in terms of retailers already just by looking at shelf space devoted to it. As for whether or not developers would use the space? Developers like to be lazy trust me, if they didn't have to compress things they wouldn't!!! lol. So eventually developers will fill the space, whether they fill it with worthwhile content is another question. GTA San Andreas was far to big a space for a game and wasn't at all focussed, and that was on DVD9. To me the question is whether the extra content that would fill up a 50gb Blu-ray disc would be worth having? More and more games developers it seems are moaning about the lack of space on DVD9 disc's and eventually that'll become a roar. I think the Xbox 360 was hampered long term by two things:

1) No HDD as standard. Sorry should have been a given in a next gen console!!!
    2) No HD disc format drive as standard, yes it kept costs down, yes it allowed them to launch earlier, but given the failure rate of the damn thing perhaps their R&D techs could have done with the extra time to iron out the "kinks"

I'm sure the Xbox 360 has been a commercial success for Microsoft and will probably continue to do well and will definitely have a bigger installed user base than the original Xbox, and growing their base must have been their prime aim, given the massive dominance of the sector by Sony. However the long term life of the 360 doesn't look that good to me. Year two and devs are already grumbling about the systems limitations. A friend of mine who still works in games described the 360 and a Ferrari with push bike wheels!!! The comment was made because of the lack of HDD as standard and had nothing to do with the DVD9 format though. Made me chuckle, he is a Nintendo fan boy though.

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

GTA:SA already used a full dual layer DVD

Sadly, MS chose HD-DVD - but did not put the drive in the console, so the 360 is going to be severely limited in the future
    The PS2 and X-Box were already starting to fill dual layer discs, and now the 360 is still lumbered with that same tech

If PGR4 will or wont fit on a dual layer, its just a matter of time before something else wont anyway

15. bluesuedeshoes

I have to agree. I love my 360 its cheap and cheerful and has plenty of cool games, but there were rumours that Gears of War was hindered by the DVD format it terms of size of the game. Rockstar have hinted that the DVD format is causing problems with GTAIV and Bizzare made a similar statement, only to retract it, No doubt after their Microsoft paymasters had a gentle word. The only thing that bothers me is all the gloating Sony fan boys now!!!

Tags: Add Tags