1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Star Trek, 3-Way SLI ASUS Gaming PC, FINISHED 6/26/16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 18 Aug 2015.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@bionicgeekgrrl, Thank you for tuning in and commenting!

I'll be trying out Prolimatech's "Ultra Sleek Vortex 12" 120 & 140mm fans. I'll do push/pull fan config on the front with low fin density 240 radiator. I'm still debating what I'll use for the top radiator. I've used their 120mm & 140mm Red Vortex fans in past builds and was pleased with their performance.

Factory page with details specs on the 120/140s, http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/index.asp?itemid=11

Dimension: 120 x 120 x 15mm
    Bearing Double Ball Bearing
    Net Weight: 91g
    Fan Speed: PWM 400 ~ 1300 RPM
    Noise Level: 7~17 dBA
    Airflow: 56 CFM
    Connector: 4 PIN PWM
    Rated Voltage: 12 V
    Rated Current: 0.12 Max. Amp
    Input Power: 1.44 W
    Input Current: 0.12 Max. Amp
    MTBF: 100,000 h / 35℃ or 60,000 h / 60℃
    Static Pressure: 0.9 mmH2O

120mm Ultra Sleek Vortex 12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

140mm Ultra Sleek Vortex 14

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Interested in the PP results with those 15mm fans.

Are you going to data log it or just post final temps?

3. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Active Member

That's some pretty decent pressure considering the 1300RPM isn't it? I'm curious to see how well these work.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

And one-star troll strikes!:lol: They didn't even let you get started.

5. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Active Member

Stick 'em in a torpedo tube and launch 'em into space.

While trying to think up jokes, I had a great idea. Bill, if you ship the case, you should pack it with Tribbles.

6. mnpctech

haha! We had plan to create a airflow test tube, but go sidetracked. I learned years ago that cooling fans specs are usually 75% Marketing BS and 25% fact. I was expecting the airflow to feel anemic like Fractal's 1st case fans, but the flow feels adequate. I've asked Will to share the data/temps after hes installed OS. I've got set of Daz's new Black Gentle Typhoons I can paint, if needed.

7. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

So very very true.....unless they have Nidec Servo on the sticker.

8. mnpctech

I received test sample sheet of printed vinyl wrap on Friday. The USS Enterprise will be cut out from the sheet, then applied over the Two tone painted Blue stripes, before the panel will be clear coated with Urethane clear. I did a test piece with a scrap Fractal Design side panel, to confirm the Black ink wouldn't react the urethane. The crease in the sheet was easily removed by re-applying the backing paper. The artwork has really tiny details, so this approach saves lots of time versus weeding out a stencil and being hand airbrushed.

[​IMG]

Had inverted version made, just to see if I liked it instead of White over Black... still debating

[​IMG]

TEST piece passed... (made sure Urethane clear wouldn't react to the Black ink)

[​IMG]

9. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Member

Looks great :) the inverted one doesn't quite look right to me for some reason.

10. Cheapskate

Inverted works to me. More black-on-white contrast.

11. Icelander

Icelander Member

More black-on-white contrast.

12. mnpctech

Cool! Thank you form the feedback gang :thumb: I've decided to keep the other side simple and just go with the LCARS style blue stripes. I'm going to relocate the Nimoy image to the Black top grill, so I can have planet Vulcan airbrushed in the background. I shared a peek of this case in my latest VLOG. I also share my 2nd version of the clear replacement side panel for Phanteks Enthoo Primo.

13. onevoicewild

onevoicewild New Member

I haven't seen you juices flowing on a build like this in quite a while. Your probably dreaming up Star Trek mods in your sleep. Really cool to see you getting into a build this much!

14. mnpctech

Thank you Mike! I debated in the workshop before cutting the sheet and decided the White ship matched the overall theme best. My friend, Brad Galvin has been a huge mentor in teaching me custom paint techniques. I spent Thursday in his paint shop masking off the templates for right side panel and PSU shroud. The Enterprise NC-1701 font was found online and we used Brad's Roland Vinyl plotter to cut everything. We colored matched the two tone Blue LCARS style color bars to my concept drawing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light Blue for the top LCARS color bar

[​IMG]

NCC-1701 vinyl will be weeded after Navy Blue paint coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next stage is applying the Enterprise decal, then clear coating the panels. The Enterprise decal saved a lot of time versus making a stencil to airbrush by hand. It was printed with UV ink, and requires an enamel clear coat to seal it first with 24 hr cure time, before you apply Automotive Urethane clear.

15. Icelander

Icelander Member

your knowledge is very rewarding for beginners like me. Thanks for this critical info Bill. I learned something new today

16. mnpctech

Thats great to hear! Looking forward to seeing your B-QUIET case mod project when it's finished. Here is the PSU shroud with Next Gen Enterprise artwork, and left side panel artwork finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mnpctech

I was excited to announce that Newegg has listed 25 of my Tristellar Cases this week

Applied clear coat to the right side panel and PSU shroud last night. Starting on the top grill artwork today! :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Oct 2015
  18. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Haynes manual cover if my memory serves me correctly. Looks fantastic.

19. Cheapskate

Congrats on the runs... wait.:worried:
    @handmade - Ow. I see it now too. Still, a repair manual for a starship would be fun to have.

20. mnpctech

@HandMade = Yes :thumb:

@Cheaps, brought back memories of checking out their manuals from Library to my fix cars when I was in punk kid

Brad airbrushed Spock onto top grill of the Phanteks Luxe yesterday...and cursed at me the whole time about "50% of my canvas is missing"... :duh::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 or 16 BIT SPOCK?

[​IMG]

a couple of Social Rejects with their fanboy shirts

[​IMG]