1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Phenom 2 955 real world power use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by javaman, 11 Aug 2013.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey everyone.

More recently I've been using my pc less in favour for my laptop. As such I've decided to convert my pc to a media server by adding a tv card and using plex. How hungry is the 955 for24/7 use? Currently my files are stored on an hp prolient server. Would it be a better option to add the tvvcard to that or is it not fast enough?

2. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Hungry ? If you mean power usage / costs:

Use this as a starter:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

at stock settings determine the power draw. From your energy suppliers rates per 1MW convert into price per hour for this on constant 24.7 for arguements sake.

e.g. 5p per hour for 1 kW
    So if the power draw roughly 500w (although the draw from the PSU to the wall socket is higher usually, but this is a rough estimate)
    = 2.5p per hour.
    24 hours x 2.5p = £1 per day

But get accurate figure from your supplier and rough wattage use of system (assume 90% CPU usage)

Thats for the economical side of things covered anyway ;) for the CPU as a dedicated media server I cant see a problem with it as long as there is system grunt for 1080p viewing if thats your thing (small dedicated GPU, as i can imagine the 955 doesnt have onboard on the motherboard)

Last edited: 12 Aug 2013
  3. Uxon

Uxon Member

Personally I wouldn't suggest a phenom chip for a 24/7 server... there are so many low power options these days for servers (atom chip machine, NAT box?) that it would be quite a waste of a high spec machine and a waste of electricity to use the phenom for that.

4. javaman

Cheers lightningpeet. Electricity here is stupidly expensive. Ill do a bit of sums to get an exact figure.
    Yea it is a bit of a waste but the machine gets switched on once a week atm if its lucky. The case size would make it handy for throwing more disks in and Reading up it seems people are getting hit or miss result with the proliant and 1080p streaming. If conversion is needed the proliant will struggle, if its a supported format its grand. My concern is with the TV card, could the HP proliant record a TV show possibly in HD? The other advantage is the desktop has win 7 pro for RDP which means it can run headless.
    I would prefer a low power option but im kinda limited to what I have, Could be an interesting exercise in tuning a PC for power efficiency

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Have to factor in hassle and costs of set up to replace the machine also.

I would have thought if it was underclocked and undervolted it wouldn't be so bad in all honesty.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

I had a 955 in a 24/7 machine for a while stock speeds/voltages, power saving features enabled - onboard everything so no cards, a couple of low power fans, 4x memory modules @1.65v, one spinning HDD and two SSDs, Enermax Pro82+ 385w PSU consumed around 35w at idle from the wall IIRC, and ~100w when running a load generator.

The power supply calculators give massively inflated figures is you're after idle use (and even if you're after loaded numbers)

7. javaman

Id be looking at 5 HDDs, 2x2GB DDR 2 modles, FSP 600W PSU, currently 4 large fans (cant remember size) but that will be reduced. Set up wise should be plug in and play and I tend to use my laptop for everything these days so in someways the machine is boarderline retired.

Chances are the machine will be idle until it needs to record, or serve something up. Ill have to do a bit of math.

Has anyone any input on a recorded TV on the Proliant NL38 or serving files. Surely it would be better than the phenom ii for power usage if it is up to the task.

8. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

+1.

Don't know how much grunt is needed to record, but using Plex to transcode will take a bit of power - assuming you need it to transcode anything.

9. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Yeah they do, but they are far cheaper than getting the kit to actually test the wattage. And lets be fair you could calculate a good round figure assuming 90% load - which if you say is true being over inflated figures it means the energy cost will be less than calculated (as you would calculate worse case scenario work backwards so to speak) which if anything is an already positive on the economical front.

I like his idea of recycling his kit though. But with no experience in the phenom field it would be a case of whats online / others to find out if its worth it given the chip et al