1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Phenom II motherboard compatibility?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yanglu, 25 Nov 2008.

1. yanglu

yanglu Hmm...

With new details of the Phenom II chips emerging, does anyone know if they will run on a 790FX +SB600 platform? I've heard that the new chips will be initially AM2+ but will they require an SB750 board or not? I just want to know if theres any hope of an upgrade for those of us who jumped on the Phenom bandwagon!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends on the manufacturer - you'll have to check the website for BIOS updates.

3. yanglu

yanglu Hmm...

I have a DFI Lanparty DK 790FX M2RS. The DFI website is really not very helpful. They seem to have recently re-done it and now the product pages are all in traditional chinese.

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Check the BIOS section (click random tabs, it's javascript based so no direct links). The 790FXB model has a BIOS update for 'future AM3 processors'.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2008
  5. yanglu

yanglu Hmm...

I saw that as well. The 790FXB is the SB750 model. Which is why I was wondering if the plain 790FX board would be left unsupported.

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Well apparently. (Above quote was from your motherboard's page in case you didn't know.)

7. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

the new Phenom II's, the ones that we'll be able to buy first, will work in "most" (read: at manufacturer's discretion) AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. You will however be limited to HT speeds of the chipset you have, and of course only have DDR3 if used with a suitable AM3 motherboard with DDR3 support.

i.e. i could drop a Phenom II 920 into my ASUS M2N-E AM2 motherboard, but most likely will run with some sort of limited overclockability i presume.

i'm still tempted, and with the board prices for 790FX/GX being so low compared to X58, seems a nice upgrade path, especially for those AMD fanboys amongst us that were losing hope. i.e. i can go quad core Deneb first, then go to DDR3 later, and bring some additional performance boosts with me with HT speeds at the same time