1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ****** PHINIX CUBE ******* - the one and only:)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 3 Dec 2007.

1. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Optimize for ease of location first, since your quite pushed for space as it is!
    Order doesn't make a huge difference, if any, in a closed loop. :)

2. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks, that's what I actually wanted to hear:) I will put it after 2x120 rad, that will be the easiest way to plug it in... its very tight on the lower level, when I put this 1x120mm rad on PSU there wont be a free space at all:)

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Today small package came, by courtesy of my wife:)

GPU water block, G80 ramsinks kit, some 10/8 hose, silver sata and ide cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This block is sweet..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the little one...

[​IMG]

This 8/10 hose is thin enough and huge inside enough to push sleeved cable inside...

[​IMG]

That's how its gonna look...

[​IMG]

New update? Soon.. soon.... Lot of work lately.. again... my 4 days off coming up this weekend. I hope I'll get some time to work on my case...

P.S. - anyone know how to get rid of that signs on the hose? without making it smoked;)

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I use isopropyl alcohol and rub it with a cottonball or something, and it tends to come off fairly quickly with minimal if any damage to the hose. At least on Tygon, lol.

5. rambo

rambo What's a Dremel?

this is 1 super sweet case you have so far i realy like al the idees you putted in to it and going to put in for what ive have seen. :rock:

6. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looking good :thumb:

7. phantom92opera

phantom92opera What's a Dremel?

hey ur project is fantastic? i was just curious what program did u use to make your concept drawings? CADD or photoshop?

thanks

8. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks guys! Yes, it is Google Sketchup. Easy and pretty powerful tool.

Here is some more updates.. small again, because didn't have time to work on it.

New radiator feet fabricated and ready to action...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought some 0.5mm aluminium sheet to make a cover for dvd - decided that dvd covered with chromed foil doesn't look nice, needed a smooth surface to cover with that foil so made it from 0.5mm alu sheet.
    Ver thin, so cut it with paper scisors, all bents by hand...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, rear of that cover is not finished yet - I have to bend those small bits to 90degree and drill holes for small screws - it will be screwed to the buttom panel of the case. It will also keep the dvd steady in place.

Here is the front of that cover - it was in purpose to leave that 5mm gap (2mm of dvd and 3mm front black bezel)- it will dissapear in the thickness of the front 5mm clear acrylic panel so nothing will be exposed. It will nicely touch the front red panel with eject button. Do not forget about that red small light-up panel under this dvd - it will be mounted right below with white leds installed to light up the edges of the dvd.. SHOULD be cool when I finish it:)

[​IMG]

I also made small shopping.. again...:)
    I found sunbeam PSU modding kit - one that has PSU ATX power cable tool - pretty hard to find. ALso got nice black 120mm grills for rad fans, some double termal tape for graphix ramsinks just in case the original fall off and some strange 8/6mm tubing for modded cable cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are great, there is no other kit that has ATX cable tool - with this one I will not loose warranty modding PSU! :)

Last edited: 23 Apr 2008
  10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice work on the radiator mounts and the CD drive mounts, excellent work. I gotta get me some of those tools lol.

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Small update:

I finished that rear of the "dvd pocket", drilled holes to mount it to base panel.

[​IMG]

Tried the pocket with light-up red acrylic under it and draw holes to drill...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted grills on the radiator

[​IMG]

Found that I had to bend one of the fins in left grill cause it was touching dvd cover too much...

[​IMG]

Then mounted radiator and dvd next to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a little udjusted picture just to show how it will glow under dvd... well - even more than that:)

[​IMG]

Also got second radiator 1x120mm - it will be mounted on the PSU with 90 degree angled barbs.

[​IMG]

12. The boy 4rm oz

Nice update. It's small but there is a heap of detail in there.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks! I wish I had more time to work on my cube:(

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

... I had a thought - maybe it would be nice if I covered the whole cube with black aluminium panels? First cover it with full red acrylic like planned at the beggining and then cover with alu black panels - cut out some shapes in alu so everything inside could be seen by red acrylic under alu panels.... hmmmm..... Its just now when we decorated our room and I bought a new desk, all that red clear acrylic doesnt actually match with all the surroundings…
    (I was affraid to say it out loud here, but even had thoughts about changing red color to orange - it would be soo cool - orange acrylic and black anodised aluminium...)

15. The boy 4rm oz

Hmmm, I like the alu idea. However I do think it looks great as it is.

16. phantom92opera

phantom92opera What's a Dremel?

any updates to come???

17. pksjaveed

pksjaveed Nmodz: modding the world

man this is what i call a cube!!!

*subscribed*

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks guys. Well no updates lately. I thought I owe you an expalanation why everything stopped. I know this project wasn't moving fast, anyway...
    Something really sad happened to me few weeks ago, something that I was expecting but not so soon. My dad was sick, had a cancer, he was diagnosed almost year ago. A few weeks ago he passed away...
    So everything in my life just turned up side down, everything stopped. I have a lot of things to arrange and deal with, so I'm pretty busy lately. I can promise that I will come back to this project soon. I feel like I need do sth, keep myself busy, so I can stop thinking about what happened. All that situation keeps me down all the time, but I have to get up...
    I hope this cube will take me some time to finish, first I need to end up last year of my Cisco course next week and then I hope I will come back to this cube. Thank you all for positive feedbacks and just to say I haven't lost all the excitement about this project, it's still there in my head.
    So, I will come back.. soon...

19. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

ooh i know how you feel man thats really sad! good luck with everything man

20. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Sad to hear the bad news phinix, take as long as you want
    we will all still be here.