1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ****** PHINIX CUBE ******* - the one and only:)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 3 Dec 2007.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hahaha:D Don't worry:) You will see it before you die:)

Very good question! No after I'm almost at the end of the project I've learnt a lot and know what afre the bad sides of building the cube from acrylic.

- size of the hole - its for M4 screws
    - side panels - black ones? hats 3mm, most popular coloured acrylic sheet you can get. Clear ones, the main panels are 5mm, but if I was going to build again, I would use thicker ones... 5mm is minimum for full stuff inside + water cooling.
    - that cubic rods are 20mm, 10mm I think could be not enough for all screws, unless you gonna switch it with aluminium ones, then 10mm would be fine
    - 400mm sound perfect. Mine is 300mm but its very tight in there. If you gonna water cool it, then 400mm would be great. Mine 300mm is pretty tight and I think its minimum. I had second project in mind with alu structure and 350mm sides.....

I hope that helps.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2009
  2. Degenerate83

Degenerate83 What's a Dremel?

gratz on motm nomination!!!!

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

WOW!!! Sweet! Thanks! I haven't expect that! :)

So guys, if you like my cube... please vote! :D

In this case, for this partucular occasion looks like I cannot wait and keep it under cover - I will have to show you the cube with all the panels now:) I need to finish front one first and in next couple of days you guys gonna see full view of the cube:) Yes.. FINALLY !!! :clap:

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

MOTM is back! Congrats on the nomination.

john

5. DocTrooper

DocTrooper Modding Intern ???

Phinix, Congrats on nominated for Feb 2009 mod .... You deserve it :clap:

My planned cube would have at least 6 x 80mm intake with 3 x 80mm exhaust fan to cool it temporary until I can figure out the water reservior display portion.

Thanks once again for your input, Phinix !

6. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Looks so good!
    I love the plexy letters, very clean work!

7. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Voted!
    And now, let us see your baby :)

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks Mino:)
    I worked a bit today to file all edges in front panel. Tomorrow will finish it with dremel and high grade paper + polishing compound. I would like to drill all holes in it and install front ring as well, at least without leds. Then I'm gonna do some photo-shoot for this darling:)
    So hopefully tomorrow will finish front panel, glue those small triangles together, which you guys haven't seen yet (those ones which blink when the Crysis intro starts and EA logo show up) and glue them to the ring. I have 12 triangles, 6mm high each, pretty smal, will glue them in pairs to cover led holes, it should look awsome when I light it up:) But I will take care of lights next week.
    Now need to figer out how to make those photos tomorrow to show whole cube nicely..:)

9. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

I'll vote for you if you give me all your stuff that's for sale :naughty:

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

One small hint from a MOTM winner.

It doesn't have to be finished to win! :rock:
    Keep up the excellent quality and cut no corners just for the contest/voting.

I won with H2O-C7 and the support of BT and it's not finished yet. DO NOT HURRY. This is a cool project and as such demands the time you spend.

john

11. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Very-true..
    I won MOTM and had only just-begun.. This stuff takes time...
    I like this project.....
    I added a (5) star rating as well as my vote for MOTM..
    Do it right, take your time.. I have my eye on you..

PS: don't hang your hopes on winning and getting "free stuff"..
    Despite what bit-tech says...
    I won September 2008
    As of 2/27/09 I have received : nothing.. 0.. zip.. no-replay..
    Bit-tech's MOTM is bragging-rites and nothing more..
    I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem being deceived into thinking MOTM is more than what it is..
    Shame on bit-tech..
    MS

Last edited: 28 Feb 2009
  12. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I agree!
    Even I won the MOTM and my project was at 1/3 of the build stage, and after 3 months or so I've received the goods...
    But the prize is not the stuff , is the honour to be the winner...
    BTW, I was really proud to be in the pool, a friend gave a call to me at 5.00 am to tell me that I was the winner..
    Anyway, don't hurry, take your time and do a good job, the prize is nothing versus the quality of the mod,,,

13. b00mb1ast3r

b00mb1ast3r Testdrive unlimited LoVeR

congratulations for the MOTM, i really loving this mod, I have to say that i love the CRYSIS Ring its really beautiful!

14. spenc259

spenc259 in the build stage!!!

congrats on the nomination man... you deserve it based on the quality of the work!

15. Montspy

Montspy What's a Dremel?

WoW ! Your mod is one of the most beautiful plexi mod that I've seen !

Good work man !
    And good luck !

Montspy.

16. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

congratulations for the nomination :clap: The text on the case is nice and the got an good place keep-it up man :thumb: you got my vote :D

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Get in touch with us with your address. You're not the first and it seems the guy we left it to organising and collecting address etc, basically, didn't. We're just learning of this in 2009 and we are NOT happy in editorial :miffed: :miffed::miffed:

Dennis has a dedicated department for doing this now - in future it'll be down to them but at least from 2009 we're doing it all in house now to make sure it gets done.

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Congratz on your MOTM nomination mate. Hope to see more work from you soon.

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, thank you all for kind words. I'm glad you like my work. Don't worry I won't skip any of my plans just to try finish it before MOTM ends up. I will continue all my work like I did before.. slowly:D However I should be able to show you the cube with all panels on this week. I work today and tomorrow till 19:00 so won't do anything till Tuesday or Wednesday, but then I will have huge update with REALLY nice photos:) So stay tuned! :)

20. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yep, well done Phinix, I was very impressed with the cube! Don't rush it though, as jhanlon303 says MOTM is about mods in progress. Once it's done we can maybe talk about doing a feature on it :thumb:

Incidentally, the sunbream case you nearly got - I got one a while back and threw some water-cooling gear inside! clicky

Antony