1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ****** PHINIX CUBE ******* - the one and only:)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 3 Dec 2007.

1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

20mA per string is fine. You can use under 1mA - over 30mA for LEDs, it's not got to be a certain value. Depends how bright you need them.

Current in a linear (series) circuit is the same at every point along it and depends on the sum of the resistances. In a parallel circuit each leg is independent and the total current is the sum of the leg currents.
    You're using a second power supply? Yes, if they're on all the time. The DVD won't be and I bet SSD don't draw much when idle.

2. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks great! Thank you for help!:clap:

Now, going back to soldering...

3. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Your project has brought me out of my 2 year bit-tech hibernation. I want to thank you and punch you at the same time.:D
    Seriously awesome build with attention to all details. Now I've got this burning passion to build another computer from scratch and that is not good. I'm far too poor and busy to start another project.

Keep up the fantastic work.
    Subscribed.

*Edit*
    It's actually been just over three years. Where have I been?

4. tyrandan

tyrandan Pink Lemonade.

Just curious Phinix, I may have missed it, but what are the specs on your LEDs?

5. fleng

fleng What's a Dremel?

Hey Phinix, when you cut out those "in shapes" out of your 5mm Acrylic with your Dremel, what drill bit do you use ??

I wanna cut something like that too.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks and get modding!:)

5mm red, 2V, 20mA.

I used dremel cutting wheel or Jig saw.

7. DeZaXaT

DeZaXaT Webdesigner

Amazing project , you give me some ideas :D but how much this costs ?

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks. Well, don't ask - it was a lot. I think the only acrylic panels and some custom cnc cuts were about £200. Add same for watercooling parts. Plus hundreds of hours spent on cutting acrylic, filing, polishing, etc. It could be less if you could avoid some mistaeks but its hard, even with a lot of planning. Accidents happen, you cannot avoid them:)
    But it a lot of fun, keeps you busy and gives you huge satisfaction:D

9. DeZaXaT

DeZaXaT Webdesigner

very nice job , i want to make something like this , but i need some extra money ;) keep up the good work ;)

Last edited: 22 Apr 2009
  10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks!

New info - update
    ---------------------------------------

This time it is not work photos update, just an info what is actually going on.
    I've been busy for last few weeks, didn't do much of my Cube, but in last couple of days I went back to this project and pushed it a little bit:) Right now full system is running and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the result. Waiting for few parts to arrive this week and will be ready to close whole cube. Right now its still ripped apart, just bottom and rear panel installed, rest of the panels waiting for small tweaks being made inside the system. Water parts have been connected, I have installed motherboard, cpu, installed water block on cpu, ripped apart GTX280 and installed water block on it too. I had to clean it again with Brasso, cause it had some stains. Now it looks like new again:) So whole water loop has been installed and filled up with clear coolant. I have to say, it is 100x easier to fill it up with pump reservoir than just with fillport. It took me about 1 hour to fill it up and bleed. I had 2 small leaks from inlet and out let of the pump but managed to fix it without flushing the loop. So leak test was running for 3-4 hours on psu "cold start". I have then started full system, installed Windows XP on my little Vertex SSD. Now installing Crysis to see how the temps will change.
    Right now temperatures are:

IDLE:
    • CPU: core1 - 34C, core2 - 25C
    • GPU: 34C, 28C, 30C

As you can see temps are pretty awesome:D:thumb: That is with Noctuas P12s in pulling setup with my new fat Feser 240 radiator. Pump is running full speed, its pretty silent, standing on velcro pads. I can still hear some bobbles running so need to run it for more time to fully bleed the loop. I made some pictures during last days, will add them tomorrow hopefully. Also will add load temps with Crysis running on this beauty.

Thats all I got for now.. Will get back with photo update asap...

--------------------------

EDIT: I have first load temps, after 30 minutes playing Crysis:

LOAD:
    • CPU: core1 - 38C, core2 - 34C
    • GPU: 43C, 38C, 40C

I'm in love... :) As long as my water cooling won't fail, I will love it:D

Last edited: 12 May 2009
  11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Gotta love those temps, really nice.

12. Bradley8988

Bradley8988 What's a Dremel?

Nice duder. The one core wont go below like 34 or 32 or something but works fine above that. Just have to work off the cooler core if your sub 30c. Hows mobo and cpu? You happy?

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

yep, all good. Yesterday was frst day I started it, so all looks good so far:) I haven't payed with OC yet, but will definately when I close the case up.
    I was worried about the temps, cause there is like 5mm space between radiator and psu, but it looks like its fine for Noctuas to pull air through that gap.
    Now, when I put all inside the cube I know one for sure - 30x30x30cm is the minimum for this kind of hardware. It is SO cramped there that I cannot squeeze my finger in lower level:)

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I ran Furmark for 20 minutes tonight and here's the result I got:

CPU : 43/32C
    GPU : 48/40/40C.

I say, thats a really good result Before that with stock cooler on my GTX280, card warmed up to 82-83C... Isn't that sweet...:)

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I wonder how the temperatures would be if I stuff my mATX 775 core 2 into my Rocketfish Lian-Li full tower? It's in a POS HP case at the moment and runs:

Core 0 33C
    Core 1 36C

It's 80F in the room at the moment.
    I want to add the EN9600GT Matrix I won for MOTM to this setup but that HP case worries me.

Every time I look the core1 temp is higher than the core0 - why would that be?
    It's Vista Home Pro 32 bit.

john

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Well, having core 0 temp higher than 1 is fine, but other way around? Don't know... Tricky one...

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yesterday wasn't a good day for my Cube...

My pump went up with smoke just for no reason. I turned the Cube on and after few seconds I saw cloud of smoke coming up from the pump:(
    I'm sending it for replacement today, hopefully will get new one next week....:(

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Well, everything turns great now - Tom form ChilledPC is sending me replacement today, so I will be able to get back to my Cube this weekend.

19. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Last year I had a pump do the exact same thing in the Rogue. It was literally two days before I was supposed to go to a LAN with the newly finished case. I was calling all over to find a supplier that was still open, and would overnight me a new one... I found one, but it wasn't cheap. :D

Anyway, I'm really loving the progress you've made on this. The end is in sight! :thumb:

20. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I ordered a load of watercooling stuff from Chilled PC as well, but they gave me the wrong fans :hehe: I got Yate Loon low speed fans instead of the high speed ones. I emailed them though and it'll be sorted soon. I love that site, excellent customer service by the looks of it.